Olympic Torch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a canny turn-out ... just like the old days when the Picnic was in town*. Did the Beeb turn-up to film and any hints when, and where the highlights might be broadcast ... maybe I'll have to scroll down to the 97? Sky channel to get Look North.

*Pity none of the kids chucked stink bombs from the bank outside the Council Office like we used to in the 60s.

Edited by Symptoms

Splendid photographs Adam, a dreadful pity about the weather

looking at the BDC banner, think the blazon of the arms could be revised as:

Argent in base a cross formy quadrate sable between four lozenges of the second, in chief azure a lymphad or in full sail the sail charged with a cross formy of the second between two lions combattant or.

The lions look to be holding something but I can't quite see from the image.

Well done to everyone who organised what looks to have been a memorable day :)

Have a look at some of my photos:

http://www.flickr.co...os/51143221@N03

Lovely pictures Adam. Thanks for sharing. I have to say that I think Bedlington is looking really nice. It seems as though a bit of thought and effort has been put in. Hope it wasn't just because "the torch" was coming to town.

Lovely pictures Adam. Thanks for sharing. I have to say that I think Bedlington is looking really nice. It seems as though a bit of thought and effort has been put in. Hope it wasn't just because "the torch" was coming to town.

The THI have done and continue to do a great job with the shop fronts, and the place did look very neat and tidy for the torch to come through, hopefully it will stay like that in the future.

That's a canny turn-out ... just like the old days when the Picnic was in town*. Did the Beeb turn-up to film and any hints when, and where the highlights might be broadcast ... maybe I'll have to scroll down to the 97? Sky channel to get Look North.

*Pity none of the kids chucked stink bombs from the bank outside the Council Office like we used to in the 60s.

you will never get crowds at bedlington like the miners picknick i know i used to attend the picknick . happy times then

Argent in base a cross formy quadrate sable between four lozenges of the second, in chief azure a lymphad or in full sail the sail charged with a cross formy of the second between two lions combattant or.

Looks like lightning bolts or electrical signs to me..............two for each.

I would be really interested if you could read the whole thing mobius.

I presume the boat is St Cuthbert?

post-23-0-45385500-1339831390_thumb.jpg

Hi Mobius, could this "cross formy quadrate sable" you mention be St. Cuthbert's cross and could the lions for some reason be holding a cross bow? Edited by Canny lass

Looks like lightning bolts or electrical signs to me..............two for each.

I would be really interested if you could read the whole thing mobius.

I presume the boat is St Cuthbert?

post-23-0-45385500-1339831390_thumb.jpg

That is an excellent picture there Malcolm, it looks to be taken from the original letters patent. If that document (a great big piece of parchment with heavy wax seals) could be found then the proper and full blazon could easily be known.

Strictly they're the arms of BUDC, but since West Bedlington Parish Council can be considered their legitimate successors it would be very simple to have the grant translated to WBPC.

Edited by mobius

I am no expert Canny Lass but I have something in the back of my mind saying these represent 'industry'........maybe sparks off a smithy?

Hopefully Mobius can give us a proper meaning.........

I agree. The lions look to be holding sparks of lightning - maybe in reference to the sparks at an iron foundry?? I can only guess, but I've emailed the image to a colleague who works for the College of Arms to see if he can turn anything up.

Hi Mobius, could this "cross formy quadrate sable" you mention be St. Cuthbert's cross and could the lions for some reason be holding a cross bow?

It could be. There's no proper heraldic language to describe a St Cuthbert's Cross - it's just described as 'a cross of St Cuthbert' (cf the arms of Newcastle University) but a cross formy quadrate is used by a couple of colleges at Durham University to represent their link to St Cuthbert and that seems to be the case for Bedlington's arms also.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now