Leek Club Radio Ban

Hello again,

Literally a new one for the books. The Leek Club has been banned by Lionheart Radio, which broadcasts out of Alnwick to all of Northumberland. I had a long scheduled interview with Carl Stiansen scheduled for his afternoon show, tomorrow, Friday, April 27. But Stiansen read the book and was offended by the language so he canceled the interview, which is kind of amazing on a couple of counts: The language is nothing you can't hear on the TV or at the movies every night of the week; and it's anybody's right to dislike anything but if you're a public broadcaster you let other people make up their own minds - you don't just ban any discussion of the book from the airwaves. That's plain old fashioned - and really dumb - censorship. Anyway, the reading at The Black Bull Friday night at 7.30 p.m. goes on, so if you want to hear excerpts from a banned book read by the author that's the place to come.

Paul Mann.

I think Paul should make sure this little snippet of information goes viral. Seriously, this is the sort of news item that gets a place on breakfast news programmes. The effect could be a major increase in sales thanks to the 'bad' publicity. Anyone else up for putting a 'Great Book Banned by Local Radio' item to saturate facebook and such?

• Like 1

We at the Black Bull welcome the local language used in the book, in all respects, okay Foxy? We would also welcome as many as possible of the forum here tomorrow night, just a shame the secret cake club can't conjure up a few bites to be enjoyed whilst the reading is going on.

It seems that most of the drinking fraternity here in Bedlington find it somehow necessary to swear at every given opportunity, and yes that includes the women. Could some Bedlington councillors please congregate in the pubs and get these people put away by complaining to lily for the 180 to 540 days they so obviously need to stop them. I'm wondering if this will bring people back into pubs if they are not subjected to the torrent of bad language at the bar by the unshaved (sometimes unwashed) groups of men and women when ordering their *-!"£%^& pint.

However this is my final word on the subject.

We at the Black Bull welcome the local language used in the book, in all respects, okay Foxy?

Aye thats always been okay with me, but you need a little memory jogger as to who complained in the first place.You also had your final word on the subject and then you've raised the issue again. To use the local dialect

"THAS NOWT QUEERER THAN FOLK"

Aye you're right Foxy it's water under the bridge, but I still hope you can make it, along with as many of the forum as possible, as I'd love to meet you all. That offer of a pint still stands as well Foxy :-)

I have to say this hasn't been publicised very well.....where were the posters in the area? I would've happily come along as I am keen to meet people in the community and I can't get on here or listen to synergy every day because of work commitments. Hope you got a good turn out though :)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now