Calling Someone The C Word On Twitter Is Now Officially A Crime

Brett

It seems that most of the drinking fraternity here in Bedlington find it somehow necessary to swear at every given opportunity, and yes that includes the women.

If you think it is bad language is not acceptable then tell the proprietor, bar manager/ess or barperson concerned. If they choose to ignore your complaint, take the business elsewhere. If you want to live with it and educate your family in that manner, stay there. Nothing more to be said really.

It seems to me that foul language and fashion are the order of the day. Fashion I can live with, foul language I choose not to.

I would also add that I have only met a couple of people in my short time here in Bedlington so far whom I do not want in my establishment, and strangely neither of these were for language reasons.

So is your establishment swearing or non swearing?

I also don't find it acceptable to listen to swearing but I also don't comment.....for fear of further abuse. Some people on here have suggested that I use some of the pubs in Bedlington for my cake club and I have considered this, but after reading this post I'm not so sure. I don't want my members to be subjected to swearing. I have witnessed the people standing outside of the grapes swearing and also a lad who, I now know drinks in there regularly, boasting about his drug addiction on the bus. Of course, if it ever becomes popular to swear and snort a line of coke, in full view, at afternoon tea in the ritz then it'll all be fine ;)

I also don't find it acceptable to listen to swearing but I also don't comment.....for fear of further abuse. Some people on here have suggested that I use some of the pubs in Bedlington for my cake club and I have considered this, but after reading this post I'm not so sure. I don't want my members to be subjected to swearing. I have witnessed the people standing outside of the grapes swearing and also a lad who, I now know drinks in there regularly, boasting about his drug addiction on the bus. Of course, if it ever becomes popular to swear and snort a line of coke, in full view, at afternoon tea in the ritz then it'll all be fine ;)

This post proves the point that I was trying to make, the initial accusation is bringing bad publicity to the town, The sad part is if you read his comments on the subject he contradicts himself and still has'nt answered the question "do you tolerate bad language in your pub" Don't let this guy put you off patronising the towns pubs, we're not all bad

As far as I can recall I never tarred all with the same brush. I said 'most' and I stand by that. There are plenty who do not as well. Remember 'most' can be as little as 51% or as large as 99% (integers).

Chris, I forgot to ask: Given that 'plenty' means 'more than enough' (OED) just exactly what percentage of Bedlington's drinking fraternity is it who feel the need to swear so much?

Edited by Canny lass

Swearing and bad behavior happens every where example, my son is a meat manager (butcher) at Woolworths supermarket Hervey Bay, the other day he saw a couple in the aisles badly dressed the man had no shirt on and they were both swearing he waited for a while but management did nothing to stop their bad behavior, it was embarrassing some elderly customers so he had to go up to them and ask them to leave of course he copped the onslaught of swearing and the like ..........

I Some people on here have suggested that I use some of the pubs in Bedlington for my cake club and I have considered this, but after reading this post I'm not so sure. I don't want my members to be subjected to swearing. I have witnessed the people standing outside of the grapes swearing and also a lad who, I now know drinks in there regularly, boasting about his drug addiction on the bus.

Diane would allocate you the use of the back room, away from the 'regulars' in the front bar. Furthermore, if you are planning evening meetings you would find the troublesome crew have long since gone home!

Personally my use the English language varies dependent on the company I am keeping. e.g. I probably swore quite a bit on Saturday night in the company of my own home with mates around but I knew in advance that people would not take offence to my choice of words and likewise I would not have been offended by whatever it was that they had to say.

If I were to be sitting in the presence of strangers or people that I was not to familiar with then I would adjust my language and my dialect so that I could be understood and polite.

Like has previously been said, the words that are 'taboo' have their place in the English language but as and when people choose to use them is the key fact here I think.

If I were to swear or say something inappropriate (bearing in mind that there are a lot of people that don't appreciate my humour and could take offence quite easily at times) I would appreciate that they said something to me so that I was aware I had offended as I clearly have mis-judged my company and I don't like upsetting people.

My argument in this case however was not whether I approve of the use of foul language or not or what I personally think of people who decide to use such language in public but merely that someone has been prosecuted for the use of foul language on the internet.

Surely if this is a civil matter it is the responsibility of the person that the abuse is directed at to want to press charges for it to be deemed an offence? or is the use of any abusive language on the interwebs whether directed at a councillor or MP not acceptable and a prosecutable offence regardless?

Either way I don't agree with the governments, police or politicians ability to dictate what we are and aren't allowed to say on any website.

You better watch what your saying Merlin :ph34r:

Chris, I forgot to ask: Given that 'plenty' means 'more than enough' (OED) just exactly what percentage of Bedlington's drinking fraternity is it who feel the need to swear so much?

Well the plenty I was referring to, are those who did not need to swear. However it is clear that there are more than enough who do not swear, using the towns establishments.

I'll repeat again that I hate bad language, however I will qualify the remark for your benefit Foxy and say that I only really take offence when it is used to destroy other peoples quiet enjoyment of their visit. That will let draw your own conclusions about my establishment without you visiting. Foxy, if you know of an establishment here in Bedlington that does not permit any form of bad language whether loud or quiet then do share this with the rest of the board and people of the world wide web to stop any further 'bad publicity'. Indeed if you know of any establishment within 20 square miles or so where it is so, I'd be delighted to know about it and probably other members of the board as well.

I will say, of my own establishment, that there are a good variety of customers (increasing in numbers) who find it a friendly and welcoming establishment. I've not had a complaint made to me about other peoples language (yet) and have had many compliments on the standards and of the quality of the real ales I keep. I am always open to constructive criticism so I would be delighted for you to visit and let me know how I can improve my standards further to enable more Bedlingtonians and others of the world to visit. My aim is similar to many publicans in the area and that is to run both a successful business that people want to return to and also tell their friends about because they enjoyed themselves. That is what will bring good publicity to the town.

There are establishments in the town that do not permit bad language, Bedlington Market place Club being one of them.if it is used on these premises the customer is asked to refrain and if it happens again they would be asked to leave.The management would then decide if they will accept an apology or ban the customer for a set period. As for you stating that you have not had a complaint about bad language being used on your premises,if you refer back to your first post YOU WERE THE ONE THAT COMPLAINED. You started to dig a hole for yourself with your first post by condemning your own customers and its getting deeper and deeper.

Seems strange really, that someone this year was let off by the courts for swearing at a policeman because policemen (and presumably policewomen) were used to bad language.

Personally I hate it, and I hate it when I'm subjected to it.

It seems that most of the drinking fraternity here in Bedlington find it somehow necessary to swear at every given opportunity, and yes that includes the women. Could some Bedlington councillors please congregate in the pubs and get these people put away by complaining to lily for the 180 to 540 days they so obviously need to stop them. I'm wondering if this will bring people back into pubs if they are not subjected to the torrent of bad language at the bar by the unshaved (sometimes unwashed) groups of men and women when ordering their *-!"£%^& pint.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8902770/Swearing-at-police-is-not-a-crime-judge-rules.html

As the Market Club is a private members establishment you have every right to do as you wish on your premises, and you are to be commended for doing so. I have never once stated that private members establishment's members were of the swearing ilk. I only ever mentioned the word pubs not clubs. If you can find any reference to me mentioning club members I'll apologise to you. Similarly I've never condemned any of my customers in any post that I've made here with regard to swearing. Do please quote where I've condemned a customer of this pub directly.

We both agree that bad language is not appreciated in public.

We appear to disagree over how many people actually commit the sin and where they do it.

Despite that I'm still willing to chat over a pint here at my expense if you wish, and to shake your hand at the end of a great discussion. (My JCB has long since been returned to the hire depot.)

However this is my final word on the subject. I believe I've adequately made my views known. I've responded, I've been backed by some and been questioned by others and had others disagree. Others have pointed out that language in some countries is policed, and others have shown how swearing can be a great pain killer when used in context. It's been great chatting with all.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now