Elliots Garage Site.

Can anyone shed some light on the work going on at the old elliots garage site? Someone told me that there is going to be a old folks home built there, then someone else told me that the planning permission for that fell through.

I have searched the council websites for info but they havent come up with much as yet.

If it is going to be a residential home, which company is it for? I can find the name of the building contractors but not the actual company who they are building it for ( if they are building anything at all!)

Any info would be very much appriciated. :thumbsup:

Well BigTessi, that really is a brainteaser,

If you would like to pop along to the next council meeting Im sure your councillors, as always, will answer any questions or concerns that you may have.They may even respond through this website as some of them use it on a regular basis. In the interim period, you could pop into Ladbrooks and see what odds they are giving on whether, or when the pile of debris that has been left there will be removed, now that everything with any monetary value has gone .By the way, I'm sure things will come to an early conclusion as this eyesore is in the centre of the Conservation Area.

If it is going to be a residential home, which company is it for? I can find the name of the building contractors but not the actual company who they are building it for ( if they are building anything at all!)

Any info would be very much appriciated. :thumbsup:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that comment BigTessi....

Foxy, if I didn't know better I would think you were being sarcastic.

A Member of the planning commitee i talked to say's that Elliot withdrew his application for a care home and now he is going to build house there, but with the state of Elliot and the building trade i say 40/1 he will sell the site. Maybe Malcolm or Foxy could buy it.

Well BigTessi, that really is a brainteaser,

If you would like to pop along to the next council meeting Im sure your councillors, as always, will answer any questions or concerns that you may have.They may even respond through this website as some of them use it on a regular basis. In the interim period, you could pop into Ladbrooks and see what odds they are giving on whether, or when the pile of debris that has been left there will be removed, now that everything with any monetary value has gone .By the way, I'm sure things will come to an early conclusion as this eyesore is in the centre of the Conservation Area.

Is this the same 'conservation area' as the church hall 2 doors down from there, as that has been dealt with so quickly and is not in any way an eyesore is it? :dribble:

I agree it was an eyesore but at least its making progress and regardless of what it turns out to be it will be a lot better than it was lying unused.......... but the Old School I think its about time that was it either pulled down or the owners were made to get it sorted out, I cringe EVERYTIME I pass it as I do when I see those bloody solar panels on that roof in the market place what on earth possesed the council to agree to them......whats next a wind turbine farm on top of the wood heed ?

Is this the same 'conservation area' as the church hall 2 doors down from there, as that has been dealt with so quickly and is not in any way an eyesore is it? :dribble:

Yes you got it in one, Unfortunately it is the same Conservation Area. If you care to look across the road from these 2 eyesores you cannot miss the third one which was manufactured by the company that promised to build a new Supermarket. The former

Spend n Save/Fancy That shop must come top of the Slum League. Tesco has not only turned this place into the sight that it is,they have also denied the Bedlington folk of a business that hasn't been replaced. Keep checking your emails I'm sure somebody from the council will get onto you with all the answers. :thumbsdown:

No there was a planning application for a huge one just off the road down to Choppington. Must have been on top of or at least really close to the old quarry?

Or the Toxic Waste dump as others call it Malcolm.

Edited by Adam Hogg

I agree it was an eyesore but at least its making progress and regardless of what it turns out to be it will be a lot better than it was lying unused.......... but the Old School I think its about time that was it either pulled down or the owners were made to get it sorted out, I cringe EVERYTIME I pass it as I do when I see those bloody solar panels on that roof in the market place what on earth possesed the council to agree to them......whats next a wind turbine farm on top of the wood heed ?

There's been no progress for three weeks now Cyril, we've still got the pile of rubbish in the Town Centre. It will look a lot better by mid August after we've had rain and its covered with lush green weeds. Neither Ladbrokes or Charlie Chisolm are taking bets on a removal date,so maybe the members on this forum should run a "Guess The Year for Removal" competition among ourselves.

We should go and knock on Elliot's door in Bomarsund where he lives and ask him?

Just another thought does anyone have any idea as to what was there prior to Elliot's garage, I have asked many people and they have no idea, and if anyone does know, are there any photos of it?

My Dad worked there as a mechanic in 1946 or 1947, don't know when he left, he was in his 30,s then so to find someone who knew what was there before is going to be very old. Mind you I've just dug out a book I've got called "Bedlingtonshire", compiled by Evan Martin and on page 97 there is a picture of Scotts iron foundry just off Front Street. It goes on to say that the building is still to be seen behind Elliots garage. This soft backed book was first printed in 1997. ISBN 0- 7524- 0784- 8. I hope this is of some help to you Rea. Did you used to live in Poplar Grove years ago?

We should go and knock on Elliot's door in Bomarsund where he lives and ask him?

Just another thought does anyone have any idea as to what was there prior to Elliot's garage, I have asked many people and they have no idea, and if anyone does know, are there any photos of it?

I thought he lived at Blyth in his "Dream House", and before the garage was there it was a quarry.

I have a idea to get rid of the rubble, block off both ends of the subway fill the bit under carriageway with concrete then fill both of the other sides with the rubble and top it off with concrete get rid of two problems at once.

Still a Mess

I agree with you Foxy 100% it,s a clip but its under development and the progress I meant was at least something was happening unlike the old school now theres an eyesore............. the powers that be are ratteling on about the "rejuvinated front street" and how nice its going to be I can only imagine they walk sideways up the street like crabs facing in the opposite direction from the school..........just a thought lol :whistle:

I agree with you Foxy 100% it,s a clip but its under development and the progress I meant was at least something was happening unlike the old school now theres an eyesore............. the powers that be are ratteling on about the "rejuvinated front street" and how nice its going to be I can only imagine they walk sideways up the street like crabs facing in the opposite direction from the school..........just a thought lol :whistle:

Looks like were thinking on the same wavelength Cyril, but there are still tickets left for the "Guess the Year of Removal" competition, Why not try your luck? First prize is a Gallon of Diesel and the lucky runner up will receive a Hot Pasty from Greggs. :icecream:

Edited by foxy

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now