Gates Are Go Or Not?

Pete

Malcom

Is this the same place as the missing gates? Is there any news on the gates?

Could plans to build new homes help in the restoration of the gates?

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/03/13/hartford-hall-homes-dispute-is-set-to-go-public-61634-30517964/

Yep same place Pete.

Developers are saying they will restore the gates as part of their 106 planning gain requirement. Seems there is a difference of opinion on what they are promising to pay for, infrastructural improvements, with planners saying even if they sold everything they couldn't pay what has been promised?

I believe the residents are trying to find funds to pay for the gates.

I stepped away when I was told the gates have to go back where they came from. I have no interest in knocking myself out fighting to get these gates put up on the side of a private housing development for aesthetic reasons! Had we been able to display them in the centre of the Town or even use them as a feature on one of the roadways in, then I would have been trying to crack heads together! Putting them back on a none existent road is a joke!

Yep same place Pete.

Developers are saying they will restore the gates as part of their 106 planning gain requirement. Seems there is a difference of opinion on what they are promising to pay for, infrastructural improvements, with planners saying even if they sold everything they couldn't pay what has been promised?

I believe the residents are trying to find funds to pay for the gates.

I stepped away when I was told the gates have to go back where they came from. I have no interest in knocking myself out fighting to get these gates put up on the side of a private housing development for aesthetic reasons! Had we been able to display them in the centre of the Town or even use them as a feature on one of the roadways in, then I would have been trying to crack heads together! Putting them back on a none existent road is a joke!

Reading your reply Malcom it would appear that the gates have to go back to Hartford Hall, but was this place not the NCB rehabilitation centre when the pits were working? It would be in the interest of Bedlington and the surrounding area for these gates to be located in Bedlington as part of its history or even in the minning museum as a tribute to the many miners that went through a reabiltation program owing to injury in the mines.

Reading your reply Malcom it would appear that the gates have to go back to Hartford Hall, but was this place not the NCB rehabilitation centre when the pits were working? It would be in the interest of Bedlington and the surrounding area for these gates to be located in Bedlington as part of its history or even in the minning museum as a tribute to the many miners that went through a reabiltation program owing to injury in the mines.

Pete,

The problem we have with putting them in a Mining Museum is that the museum just happens to be located in Ashington. Unfortunately the people who preside over our beloved town have no interest in Bedlington and whenever there is any investment in the former Wansbeck District it will usually end up in Ashington.Youv'e probably just given them an idea now that will be put on the agenda for the next meeting. Perhaps they will look nice as the entrance to the new Leisure Centre, to be built in ASHINGTON after all the repair bill for the Gates will be a pittance added to the £20 million cost of the Centre.

Edited by foxy
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more Pete!

Pete,

The problem we have with putting them in a Mining Museum is that the museum just happens to be located in Ashington. Unfortunately the people who preside over our beloved town have no interest in Bedlington and whenever there is any investment in the former Wansbeck District it will usually end up in Ashington.Youv'e probably just given them an idea now that will be put on the agenda for the next meeting. Perhaps they will look nice as the entrance to the new Leisure Centre, to be built in ASHINGTON after all the repair bill for the Gates will be a pittance added to the £20 million cost of the Centre.

Foxy,

I understand the point that you are making and fully agree but the reason that I mentioned the minning museum was because miners from Ashington and Bedlington would have used Hartford hall. As for putting them in front of a Leisure Centre,well I think that would be an insult to the past. If Bedlington can not have then then the minning museum seems the next best option or to use Malcom's words they will end up on a none existant road. Still, the problem of getting them from Chris topps Iron Works, heafty bill I would think,

Foxy,

I understand the point that you are making and fully agree but the reason that I mentioned the minning museum was because miners from Ashington and Bedlington would have used Hartford hall. As for putting them in front of a Leisure Centre,well I think that would be an insult to the past. If Bedlington can not have then then the minning museum seems the next best option or to use Malcom's words they will end up on a none existant road. Still, the problem of getting them from Chris topps Iron Works, heafty bill I would think,

Circa £200K.......

Foxy,

Pete,

I think you missed the point here,my suggestion of putting them at the new leisure centre was merely sarcasm aimed at the incompetent councillors that claim to represent us Bedlington folk. Of course I don't want the gates or anything else for that matter to go to Ashington but until we can get these people replaced we'll just have to weather the storm, hopefully better than the gates have.

What is the matter with Bedlington having a mining museum, In fact the management of woodhorn museum changed it so it is no longer Woodhorn Mining Museum just woodhorn museum, should we not have a museum in bedlington i would say we have more history then Ashington.

Pete,

I think you missed the point here,my suggestion of putting them at the new leisure centre was merely sarcasm aimed at the incompetent councillors that claim to represent us Bedlington folk. Of course I don't want the gates or anything else for that matter to go to Ashington but until we can get these people replaced we'll just have to weather the storm, hopefully better than the gates have.

I did understand what you meant but with councils today they probaly would put historic gates on a leisure centre.

By the way Pete,

Dont know if your up to speed with whats going on here regarding the Leisure Centre but Ashington is in line for a new one at a cost of £20 million when they already have one. Bedlington who has never had one will get nothing.

No Foxy I was not aware that Asington where getting a new leisure centre but that reminds me of when I lived in Bedlington, Ashington had the indoor swimming pool whilst Bedlington had Humford baths, Humford baths where better by far in the summer anyway.

What is the matter with Bedlington having a mining museum, In fact the management of woodhorn museum changed it so it is no longer Woodhorn Mining Museum just woodhorn museum, should we not have a museum in bedlington i would say we have more history then Ashington.

Adam,

There is a post on the forum that goes along simmular lines to what you are saying, and you are right Bedlington has more history than Ashington. The post that I am referring to was in relation to the Iron works and did state that if Bedlington had created a museum down the woods where the Iron works was, then there would not have been a Beamish. Not sure who the original poster was but it should still be on the forum somewhere.

They will get permission off the planning Inspectorate, need we be reminded of the last time they got involved which was with the Church Hall, they let that go thru even though the public did not want it.

It would be a waste of public money for the Inspectorate to even consider this, when the developer withdrew their own planning application.

It would be a waste of public money for the Inspectorate to even consider this, when the developer withdrew their own planning application.

Looks like their are appealing on the grounds of incompetence by the planners to give ample considerations to their application? According to the article that necessitates a public enquiry?

If you have that sort of dosh kicking around Pete I know where there are some garden gates which need a bit of TLC.............. :rofl:

If only Malcolm. I will look at the lottery results tonight and realise its plan B ( short rations) until next lottery results on Saturday :thumbsup:

Not so sure Pete.

If they are owned by the old developer and now the administrator...

Its a strange situation Malcolm but surly NCC must have a stake in this somewhere. It looks like the ending on the youtube vid could come to pass, the historic gates sitting in a shed gatering dust in North Yorks for years to come.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now