Not Strictly A Consumer Issue But.....

Hello all,

I am looking to set up a branch of a cake club for South East Northumberland and Central Morpeth. You may have heard of it. It's called the Clandestine Cake Club and the idea is that the group will consist of 2-30 members and we will meet once a month. Each member can bring a guest and we all bring a cake made around a monthly theme. We then eat cake, talk about cake, swap recipes etc. The meetings generally last about 2-3 hours and left over cake can be taken home.

I am hoping to organise this as a community project and to meet people. CCC organisers facilitate the meetings and receive no payment for it. It is purely for the love of cake and meeting new people. I realise that I am covering a large area but the nearest group is in Newcastle and that is over subscribed and there's a waiting list! I live in Bedlington so would ideally like the venues to be as close to me as possible. I can't drive so will have the rely on my other half.

Other CCC meetings throughout the country and world, take place in cafes, expresso bars, restaurants, pubs etc. So, I guess what I am asking my fellow Bedlingtonians is where do you think would be a good venue?

As I said in my introduction message, I have been pretty shy (so this is a big step for me) and haven't really ventured into the pubs in the area due to not really having many friends (ahhhhh) and my other half working away. Doesn't a lady sitting in a pub alone acquire a bit of a rep? As a result I know nothing about the vibe of the pubs in Bedlington or surrounding areas.

Which pubs, if any, are best avoided? Is the emphasis in some pubs on live music where we the cakey people won't be able to talk? Are there any cafes or restaurants which have ample seating areas which you can recommend? I need venues to be in a well lit area.

So far I have made contact with Tino's Deli and the Half Moon in Ashington (also not sure whether this is 'a bit rough') who are both keen to become a venue. I have also thought that The Red Lion, La Torre, Verdi's and Bistro 62 as possible venues, but am really relying on your recommendations. The benefit for the business is extra sales in refreshments and savoury food and opportunity for repeat business.

Finally I would like to add that if you think that this suits your business or know someone who has a business who may be interested, please drop me an e mail at hippychick08@gmail.com or leave a message on here. If you are interested in attending yourself, please drop me an e mail (though you will have to register on the official CCC website) and I will add you to my list of people to contact when all of the networking and venue planning have been completed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Diane :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I too would have suggested the Black Bull and the owners are members of the forum here so you can contact them directly on their profile.

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/user/2882-black-bull-bedlington/

I also really like the idea of the group as a whole. Will you accept members who only come to eat cake and don't cook anything :D

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of your help! I've sent a message to the Black Bull's profile and have sent an e mail to Edith. Sorry people.....afraid you can't just turn up and eat cake. You can be the guest of someone who bakes a cake and brings it along, but can't just come and fill ya boots! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well!

I'm a bit disappointed in Bedlington at the minute. I've sent out invites to all of the pubs and restaurants in Bedlington for venues for the CCC and no one has got back to me! Morpeth and Stakeford are jumping at the chance! Cmon' Bedlington, keep the business local.....this is meant to be about communities and helping local revenue, not giving all of our business to neighbouring towns! I may have to end up changing the name to Morpeth CCC at this rate!

:thumbsdown:

Well!

I'm a bit disappointed in Bedlington at the minute. I've sent out invites to all of the pubs and restaurants in Bedlington for venues for the CCC and no one has got back to me! Morpeth and Stakeford are jumping at the chance! Cmon' Bedlington, keep the business local.....this is meant to be about communities and helping local revenue, not giving all of our business to neighbouring towns! I may have to end up changing the name to Morpeth CCC at this rate!

:thumbsdown:

You tell`em Notsoshybedlingtonnew(ish)bie! :dj:

If you contact one of the administrators with what you would like it to be changed to, they should be able to do this for you :)

There must be somewhere that can provide sufficient premises for your requirements. Keep at it.

What sort of space do you need Diane?

I have re-read your original posting and really you just want somewhere to hold a meeting and talk about recipes and baking…..and sampling products of course.

Why not ask Tino's Deli on Front Street for an evening say once a month. OK you might take your own cake but Jackie could sell some teas and coffees?

Handled properly good advertising for the Deli.

At the end of the day there is the snug in the Red Lion but I prefer to support the small independents rather than large nationals.

I would be surprised if one of the other pubs couldn't let you have a back room or a bit of space to hold your meets, just do it on their quietest night.

Diane,

Have you spoken to your namesake, the landlady in the Grapes? She is usually open to suggestions such as this.

I agree with this comment, Diane is a very helpful woman and would likely be more than willing to have you in the Grapes. Thats if the Community Centre is not what you are looking for.

Edited by Adam Hogg

I agree with this comment, Diane is a very helpful woman and would likely be more than willing to have you in the Grapes. Thats if the Community Centre is not what you are looking for.

She also likes cakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your support. I am certainly going to do I 'walk in' to some of the business' in Bedlington in the coming weeks to discuss the club with the managers and owners if present.

You're right Malcom, I literally need a little space to have some food or drinks followed by our cake. I have already asked Tino's deli and Jackie declined. They were the first people I asked and as the events run in the evenings (due to work commitments for me and the members), Jackie felt it wasn't worth opening up for the especially for the club.

The first meet is at the community centre.....I can talk about this now because it has been revealed to the members. :thumbsup: I'll post the photies and write up on here in the hope of getting more Bedlington business' involved.

Diane

Diane,

I've replied to your mail, when I found that, and you were not the only one whom I had not replied to. I apologised there for not replying earlier. Good luck to your venture. You already know my positive thoughts on the venture.

Chris

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now