Bedlington Community Center

Hello everyone we held a 40th birthday party for our sister Joanne last night and I can 100% reccommend the Community Center the folks there were BRILLIANT bearing in mind they all work there as "volunteeres" they could not have been more helpfull or friendly yes there were a couple of teething problems but hey nothing that spoilt the night.

I dont know WHY the council decided to close it in the first place as it is Bedlingtons ONLY hall that will hold a decent amount of people with the exception of a couple of the clubs which are not everyones cup of tea.

Any way we were the first to hold a party there under the new regime and anyone wanting to find a venue need look no further, we did,nt know it was open for business we even contemplated "going over the water" to Ashington but after a word of mouth conversation and a look on the tinternet for the phone number its was sorted.

So a BIG thank you to all involved you made the "BAIRNS" night.

Cyril and Family.

The council closed the place because they were running the place at a loss and from what I hear couldn't see past the end of their noses for better ideas for the place.

Glad that the night went well and a venue in Bedlington being used for the purposes intended.

• Like 1

I did,nt know that Brettly, I naturally assumed there would some financial reasoning behind it, however does the council support the Center in anyway? and if not why not ?

I mean if there are no staff to pay that must have been a heavy burden on the center but these people do it for nothing and I mean nothing, so with the support from the council it would/will make life a lot easier for these people.

Are there councilors who contribute to this site that can have an influence/answer my questions ?

It in my opinion it can be a bit of good news for "our" town or even find a sponser.

I,m fully aware of the financial state of the country and our area is no exception but there must be some local business or business,s operating around here from outside the area that could do with a bit of good P.R. :unsure:

Hi Cyril, NCC (northumberland county council) no longer support the centre because of the centre was sold to WBTC (west bedlington town council), however the building is owned by WBTC who bought it off NCC last year and it is run by a group of trustees some of who i believe you met, i am also one of them. There are two Councilors who are on this site but they do not know much about what is going on with the centre, the best thing you could do is go to a Town Council meeting and ask the questions to the Chair Arthur Pegg or Vice Chair George Todd, the next town council meeting is on 8th march 2012 at 6.00pm in the Community Centre.

Hi Cyril, NCC (northumberland county council) no longer support the centre because of the centre was (sold) ''Asset transferred'' to WBTC (west bedlington town council), however the building is owned by WBTC who (bought) ''Accepted'' it off NCC last year and it is run by a group of trustees some of who i believe you met, i am also one of them. There are two Councilors who are on this site but they do not know much about what is going on with the centre, the best thing you could do is go to a Town Council meeting and ask the questions to the Chair Arthur Pegg or Vice Chair George Todd, the next town council meeting is on 8th march 2012 at 6.00pm in the Community Centre.

Hi Cyril, NCC (northumberland county council) no longer support the centre because of the centre was sold to WBTC (west bedlington town council), however the building is owned by WBTC who bought it off NCC last year and it is run by a group of trustees some of who i believe you met, i am also one of them. There are two Councilors who are on this site but they do not know much about what is going on with the centre, the best thing you could do is go to a Town Council meeting and ask the questions to the Chair Arthur Pegg or Vice Chair George Todd, the next town council meeting is on 8th march 2012 at 6.00pm in the Community Centre.

Thank you for the invite Adam and if I was in a position to be there I would.

I however work long hours and not in this area consequently it can be well after 6 when I get home and then I have paperwork, e.mails etc to do most nights, tonight is an exception.

But if the councilors who are on this site see my comments and care to enquire if they can be of any assistance I am sure yourself and the other trustess (excuse me calling you volunteers) will be very gratefull, after all it may be in their ward and it is to their benefit to have a thriving center.

Keep up the great work all of you.

Edited by Cyril

I've been asked to publish the following news about the Community Centre open day on 17th March.

Bedlington Community Centre will open its doors between 10am and 4pm on Saturday 17th March so that members of the community can see the work that has been going on so far, and meet with people who have shown an interest in providing classes and other activities in the centre. There will also be an opportunity to view the refurbishment plans. Please make the effort to attend.

You will be able to talk to volunteers about our ideas for a Parent and Toddler Group. The Pre-School Alliance will have a display of craft materials for sale. We will welcome your thoughts on what you would like to see happening in your Centre.

There will also be a mini craft fair and a stand offering home cooked produce. Other displays will include information about 'Doorstep Pictures' and 'Highlights' Rural Touring Scheme.

Upstairs in the function room there will be demonstrations of Line Dancing, Chi Kung and other keep fit activities.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Northumbria Police for their generous donation of soft play mats and Tallantyre Bedlington for their generous donation of paint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now