Bygone Bedlingtonshire Dvd Archive Film Collection Available Now

Hi.

The new DVD Bygone Bedlingtonshire archive film collection is now available at

http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

50 minutes of pure nostalgia

Bedlingtonshire consists of six townships, Bedlington, Netherton, Choppington, West Sleekburn, East Sleekburn and Cambois which includes North Blyth. In this superb DVD we witness some rare archive footage of its past.

We begin our journey in Bedlington and visit the Doctor Pit. We witness the colliery on the surface and the steam engine pulling tubs. We go underground and see the miner at work drilling the coal and hand-filling it onto the conveyor on the coal face. The miner and his pit pony are also on view. We also see the main conveyor carrying the coal to the surface. This footage even has the sound which makes it very unique.

There is the Doctor Pit colliery rows and we witness how it looked in this archive footage as its been gone many years now.

We go to Bedlington Front Street and here we see how it once looked during the 1980's. See the shops, public houses, transport as we look around. The Northumberland Miners Picnic, was held in Bedlington in 1959 and 1960. We have archive footage from both. In the 1959 footage we get a glimpse of the past and even see the old Pele Tower and Quarry Cottages, long gone. Join in the fun of the Picnic as we move to the 1960 event. Here we have archive footage with sound of the judging of the bands and the picnic itself along with the fairground attractions from both dates.

Visit Netherton Colliery and see the pit wheel in action and the shaft and cage.

West Sleekburn Colliery and village has long gone and again we bring you archive footage from 1962.

North Blyth and the High Ferry is on view along with Wheatleys Ferry. Witness ship breaking at Hughes Bolckows again with sound. We have the Empress of Scotland on the day she caught fire along with HMS Thunderer arriving at the breakers yard.

Opencast coal mining at the Acorn Bank in Bedlington is there with sound. Witness Candle making at Bedlington Furnace. Women's football during the 1926 general strike took part to raise cash for hard strapped families.

Yes its all here for you and your memories will come flooding back. You never know you may see yourself, family or even friends as the footage rolls on and on bringing those memories back to life.

This is certainly a piece of history for anyone with connections with Bedlingtonshire to treasure for life in this archive film collection.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

• 10 years later...
On 30/08/2022 at 15:08, James said:

Sorry - It should read 'the 6 townships website no longer exists'

@James - John had two groups. One on Facebook that changed the name from Six Townships group to the Past Times History group and John is Admin of that group. The other group where john produced videos and booklets etc of the local Six Townships was kept going but checking now I am like you, can't find it. 

Are you on Facebook? If not I can contact @johndawsonjune1955 for you, via Facebook messenger, and see if there are still copies of the DVD available.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@James - forgot to ask - do you use the 'Messages' service on this site? Although John Dawson doesn't post any comments on this group these days I know he does occasionally use the Messages service - he has contacted me via it a few weeks ago.

HI Alan,aa wud like a couple of copies of that DVD as weel ,if ye can find out how and where to buy it..Aa wud imagine Al's Videos at Ashington,[if he is still there like!],wud have it,he used ti have aal the Local Magazines like Creeful O Coals etc.

Cheers Bill.

3 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

HI Alan,aa wud like a couple of copies of that DVD as weel ,if ye can find out how and where to buy it..Aa wud imagine Al's Videos at Ashington,[if he is still there like!],wud have it,he used ti have aal the Local Magazines like Creeful O Coals etc.

Cheers Bill.

I'll check with @johndawsonjune1955 via the Past Times History group and see if there are still copies available. :)

• Like 1

Many thanks Alan,much appreciated,aam tekking the chance to check things out,mail etc,while Cath is in bed![resting between hoosewark!]Cheers Bill.[hope ye are not too bad yasel Alan!!]

On 08/09/2022 at 11:11, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@James & @HIGH PIT WILMA message back from John Dawson = '....im not aware of any but i will phone and find out for you. let you know when they respond..............'

🤞but not looking too good:(

@James & @HIGH PIT WILMA asked about the DVD on the Bygone Bedlington FB group and 'It's Shep' (Dave Shepard -lived in Burnside in the 1950's & 60's when I knew him)-  send me a message :- ' Just seen your post about the DVD of bedlington Remembered. I bought it and it is only photos and voice over of what you can see in most facebook media. whether it is worth the cost ( i don't remember what i paid) but only worth if someone wants a memory "keepsake" Alan.'

I haven't heard anything back from John Dawson:(

• Like 1

Thanks Alan! I know Dave Shepherd and all his family very well,his Brother Lawrence..["Lol Shep"..now sadly deceased R.I.P. Lol],lived opposite me for nearly thirty years at West/East Terraces in Stakeford.His other Brother Mick,[also sadly deceased..R.I.P.Mick],was my close Marra for over 25 years also.I trust Dave's word and opinion on this one,and aam thinking twice aboot ordering the DVD,bearing in mind I received a DVD as a Xmas present,years ago,from Mick and his Wife,about Bedlington remembered and it was mostly photos and a voiceover,so it might even be the same DVD that Dave talks aboot!! ..Aal get it oot and check it ti see..if a can find it that is!

Cheers Alan.

Bill.[Hope ye aren't too bad!..rough at this end wi Cath..]

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now