Boy Racers

doglover

I was travelling past Stead Lane tonight on my way to Bedlington and I could'nt believe it when at the bend next to the turn in at the Terrier came a stupid imbicile racing at least 90 mls an hour. The rubber he burnt was just stupid but he's buying the tyres. I will stop myself there as he probably doesn't have any tread on them anyway. I really can't believe how many crackpots we have on the roads at the minute or am I getting old. I really feel we need cameras down that stretch even though I'm not usually in favour of them but its just a matter of time before someone is killed. Incidently we live on the main road up to Bedlington and my husband has had two mirrors replaced through people not pulling out when passing or braking to let others through. Its relly scarey if you happen to be sitting in the car as they wait till the lat minute to break. Is everone on a .death wish

I've personally noticed a decrease in the number of cars that appear to be heavily modified and hanging around in car parks to 3 and 4 years ago. May be the price of fuel, people having more sense or police clamping down on anti-social behaviour in and around car parks throughout the north east.

Still get the odd one that will drive like a tool however.

I was travelling past Stead Lane tonight on my way to Bedlington and I could'nt believe it when at the bend next to the turn in at the Terrier came a stupid imbicile racing at least 90 mls an hour. The rubber he burnt was just stupid but he's buying the tyres. I will stop myself there as he probably doesn't have any tread on them anyway. I really can't believe how many crackpots we have on the roads at the minute or am I getting old. I really feel we need cameras down that stretch even though I'm not usually in favour of them but its just a matter of time before someone is killed. Incidently we live on the main road up to Bedlington and my husband has had two mirrors replaced through people not pulling out when passing or braking to let others through. Its relly scarey if you happen to be sitting in the car as they wait till the lat minute to break. Is everone on a .death wish

I agree with you about "some" of the idiots on the roads, but your wrong about the speed cameras because they will put someone doing 34 in the same category and the same punishment as the idiot doing 60+.

I know BOTH are classed as speeding one downright dangerous however I think EVERYONE who drives cannot put there hand on there heart and say that they have NEVER broken the speed limit whilst in charge of a motor vehicle regardless of where or what they are driving.

I do think there are some terrible drivers on the roads irrispective of age or gender and I for one think it should be mandatory that we all take a driving test say every 10 years and if you fail you would have to resit the test until you pass...Yes that will have consequences on some folks possibly myself included however it would weed out the bad and unsafe.

Your comments about where you live and the loss of wing mirrors is down to common courtesy some drivers don,t have ANY, if say there are vehicles double parked or the road is narrowed because of parked vehicles I will let someone coming in the opposite direction to me through first and the amout of ignorrant people who do not acknowledge it by saying thank you in some way is disgraceful ..........no manners you see..... it used to be taught and part of learning to drive when I took my test ...............omg does that mean I would FAIL the mandatory 10 year test I suggested.........

The cops have just been out with the latest hand held speed cameras and I am sure they might be willing to target any section of road where there are continuous problems.

Course everyone has to play their part and go to the likes of that Police Forum meeting I posted up for last week or even just take part in the online police meetings which are held regularly.

If they don't know about it ……………………………….

BTW, on the walkabout they issued warnings only to anyone slightly exceeding the speed limit, as one of our town councillors can testify to! Ahem :blush:

I agree with you about "some" of the idiots on the roads, but your wrong about the speed cameras because they will put someone doing 34 in the same category and the same punishment as the idiot doing 60+.

I know BOTH are classed as speeding one downright dangerous however I think EVERYONE who drives cannot put there hand on there heart and say that they have NEVER broken the speed limit whilst in charge of a motor vehicle regardless of where or what they are driving.

I do think there are some terrible drivers on the roads irrispective of age or gender and I for one think it should be mandatory that we all take a driving test say every 10 years and if you fail you would have to resit the test until you pass...Yes that will have consequences on some folks possibly myself included however it would weed out the bad and unsafe.

Your comments about where you live and the loss of wing mirrors is down to common courtesy some drivers don,t have ANY, if say there are vehicles double parked or the road is narrowed because of parked vehicles I will let someone coming in the opposite direction to me through first and the amout of ignorrant people who do not acknowledge it by saying thank you in some way is disgraceful ..........no manners you see..... it used to be taught and part of learning to drive when I took my test ...............omg does that mean I would FAIL the mandatory 10 year test I suggested.........

I attended a speed awareness session in October. Now if you had been caught doing 34 mph in 30 zone by traffic cop, chances are you would get a bit of a lecture and a warning and allowed to go. Speed cameras wether they are fixed or mobile do not give you that luxury ie 10% + 2 mph (the trainer at the session told us that they are supposed to, but it is easier just to prosecute the lot rather that sift the borderline ones out). I was caught on Barrington Rd doing 36 mph by a mobile camera. That is the 1st time in 30 odd years of driving that I have been caught in a car, Ive been nicked in a truck a few times, thats why I elected to take the course cos another 3 points would have put me on 12 (6 come off this year) If you (sizsells) had seen some of the films of staged stopping distances , even at 32 mph against 30mph you would be extremely suprised. They showed the aftermath of an accident in Newbrough nr Hexham last year. A 14 year old was killed outside the school. It was calculated that the car was doing 35 mph when the brakes were applied, the police say that there was nothing wrong with the drivers reaction time, just that there was insufficient distance to stop in time at that speed (the car had gone round a bend inside the speed restriction), Had the driver reacted in the same way doing 30mph, not only would the victim had lived, the car would have not even hit him. Those sessions last for 4 hours and they really open your eyes for you. I for one have changed my driving habits.

Answer to your opinion Siszell I find that doing a driving test every 10 years is not really an issue. I am talking about reckless speeding which has nothing to do with competenceor ability to handle a car it is just plain recklessness. My husband has been on one of these speeding courses given out that he was driving at 34 mls per hour and given to him 10 yards of a no speed limit sign coming out of Ashington towards Pegswood so we do put our hands up and admit It can happen but when some idiot is deliberately putting others lives in danger something needs to be done. We can't keep ignoring this.

I think what needs to happen is, people who break the rules of the road should be shown what happens when you do it, the injurys caused and even if need be the state of a person killed by dangerous driving, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by Adam Hogg

Answer to your opinion Siszell I find that doing a driving test every 10 years is not really an issue. I am talking about reckless speeding which has nothing to do with competenceor ability to handle a car it is just plain recklessness. My husband has been on one of these speeding courses given out that he was driving at 34 mls per hour and given to him 10 yards of a no speed limit sign coming out of Ashington towards Pegswood so we do put our hands up and admit It can happen but when some idiot is deliberately putting others lives in danger something needs to be done. We can't keep ignoring this.

Yes and I fully understand why you feel agrivated at the idiot driving as fast as he was and not getting punished.

I attended a speed awareness session in October. Now if you had been caught doing 34 mph in 30 zone by traffic cop, chances are you would get a bit of a lecture and a warning and allowed to go. Speed cameras wether they are fixed or mobile do not give you that luxury ie 10% + 2 mph (the trainer at the session told us that they are supposed to, but it is easier just to prosecute the lot rather that sift the borderline ones out). I was caught on Barrington Rd doing 36 mph by a mobile camera. That is the 1st time in 30 odd years of driving that I have been caught in a car, Ive been nicked in a truck a few times, thats why I elected to take the course cos another 3 points would have put me on 12 (6 come off this year) If you (sizsells) had seen some of the films of staged stopping distances , even at 32 mph against 30mph you would be extremely suprised. They showed the aftermath of an accident in Newbrough nr Hexham last year. A 14 year old was killed outside the school. It was calculated that the car was doing 35 mph when the brakes were applied, the police say that there was nothing wrong with the drivers reaction time, just that there was insufficient distance to stop in time at that speed (the car had gone round a bend inside the speed restriction), Had the driver reacted in the same way doing 30mph, not only would the victim had lived, the car would have not even hit him. Those sessions last for 4 hours and they really open your eyes for you. I for one have changed my driving habits.

Your making an assumption that I have not seen any of the films you refer to or infact the aftermath of RTA,s.

I can assure you that I have.

Your making an assumption that I have not seen any of the films you refer to or infact the aftermath of RTA,s.

I can assure you that I have.

I am assuming nothing, just pointing out speed limits are there for a reason and you are breaking the same law by doing 34 as you are by doing 60, some folk are under the impression that they may as well be hung for a sheep as for lamb. However I do agree that the person doing 60 should get a more severe punishment. As I mentioned, I have been no angel in the past but I'd like to think that speed awareness course did me some good and that it has had a positive effect on me rather than being an £82 ball ache just to escape the points. I do a job where 2000 miles per week is not uncommon and I think the two worst things are boredom and complacency, once those things creep in, quite often your speed creeps up. I concentrate on what I am doing more now and if I am tired , I stop for while. As far as RTA's are concerned I have seen some absolute horrors over the years, you get hardened to them but some you just cannot get out of your mind for some time afterwards. A risk assesor once told me that there is no such thing as an accident, it may not have been done on purpose but there is always a reason whether it is human error,(which it usually is) mechanical failure or natural occurrences such as the weather.

You ASSUMED that I had not seen any films etc.

OH and BTW I do 1000+ miles a week 48 weeks a year and have done for the past 26 years.

I agree with you 100% about the higher the speed in an built up area the more severe the punishment should be.

But I think some of the speed limits need looking at with regards to some of the limits set at on particular roads, the Barrington Road is a classic example 30mph the whole length is a "JOKE" yes byall means where the stables are or the entrance to the industrial estate that should be 30 and the rest should at least be 40 so I feel sorry for yourself and all those who have been caught out by the mobile camera ( he has a field day along there ).

My previous neighbour who is in her 60,s was caught TWICE within the space of an hour along there doing 36.

Our current speed laws I feel are so outdated its incredible, I for one am in favour 20mph outside schools rigourisly enforced by cameras, however in a built up area the speed should be determined by factors which include pedestrian safety etc.

On a Motorway increase it to a more realistic 80mph as most people average above 70mph and modern cars have hugely improved braking systems against the vehicles that were around in 67 when it became the permanent limit for derestricted roads (most vehicles at the time struggled to reach above 70).

• Like 1

It was my understanding that the 70 mph speed limit was introduced to control fuel economy! and safety was just a coincidental spin off!

I believe most drivers are courteous and generally obey the speed limits but some drivers will always believe they are above the law and will continue to drive reckless, speed and cause accidents but unfortunately aren't usually the victims! in my opinion they are the ones that should be targeted and have their vehicles confiscated!

Yes many areas should have their speed limits reviewed and adjusted and not just be a cash cow!

You ASSUMED that I had not seen any films etc.

OH and BTW I do 1000+ miles a week 48 weeks a year and have done for the past 26 years.

I agree with you 100% about the higher the speed in an built up area the more severe the punishment should be.

But I think some of the speed limits need looking at with regards to some of the limits set at on particular roads, the Barrington Road is a classic example 30mph the whole length is a "JOKE" yes byall means where the stables are or the entrance to the industrial estate that should be 30 and the rest should at least be 40 so I feel sorry for yourself and all those who have been caught out by the mobile camera ( he has a field day along there ).

My previous neighbour who is in her 60,s was caught TWICE within the space of an hour along there doing 36.

Reading my post back it does seem that I had made that assumption, I apologise, it was not intentional. When Sleekburn Cottage farm was a dairy farm (prior to becoming the stables on the Barrington Rd) I used to help out by doing the milkings occasionally while I was at college. After the morning milking the cows would sometimes go into the fields accross the road and over the railway lines. This was usually in late summer and never at night. The thing is we would expect the odd idiot to come tear arsing along the road so someone was always placed to warn the traffic well before they got to where the cows were crossing. The thing is now there are riders on horses and ponies using that road at all hours often with very inexperienced riders. Before anyone queries my knowledge, I have lived and worked on farms for many years ,mainly with dairy cattle. When I see a 12/13 year old, so called "experienced rider" on that road I cringe with the thought of what could happen. If that pony was spooked, even by the most courtous of drivers, there is absolutely no way a young slightly built lassie would be able to control that animal if it decided to "do off". There is no horse or pony 100% bomb proof. The Barrington road is busy "C" class road used my many vehicles including HGV's (which I drive). I do dot disagree with your idea on the speed limit on that road, but is it really worth bothering about having a varying speed limit on such a short piece of road?. I think there should be more emphasis on educating the riders (and indeed some drivers,) who regularly use that road on how to conduct themselves on the road. Yes, I hold my hands up, I was in a hurry but I should have been more careful, especially knowing I was approaching the stables.

Just one more thing, the mobile camera was not where it should have been in the lay-by and I have photogrffic evidence to support that. But with already having 9 points I thought it better just to accept the offer of the course, especially since 6 of those points are to come off this year.

Of course there should be 20mph zones outside schools enforced with cameras; cameras should also be sited at busy, traffic-light controlled junctions. But I say remove them from everywhere else as they seem to be generally ineffective - apart from being cash-cows. Oh, and I reckon that the motorways should be de-restricted ... ah, unlimited fast driving!

The issue of speed limits does tend to polarise opinions ... a bit like the issue of dogsh*t in public spaces.

I like driving fast! but I don't! (animals, weather and now retired, and partially fuel costs!) school zones are a must to be speed controlled but other roads should be assessed on their safety, construction, noise, weather, environment, traffic flow etc, driving fast on a slow road and slow on a fast road can be equally dangerous!

BTW what are the U.K. age restriction for drivers? old and young.

I like driving fast! but I don't! (animals, weather and now retired, and partially fuel costs!) school zones are a must to be speed controlled but other roads should be assessed on their safety, construction, noise, weather, environment, traffic flow etc, driving fast on a slow road and slow on a fast road can be equally dangerous!

BTW what are the U.K. age restriction for drivers? old and young.

17 to start, then re-new @ 70 Vic

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now