Hide Adverts
Canny lass

"the Store" Netherton

Can anybody remember :

• when didthe Coop moved from it's original site next to the pit into the single-story, prefabricated building opposite the Institute at Netherton?
  • when did the coop finally close?
  • when did Esther (Rochester) who had the corner shop at Netherton move into the building?

this is a good question. i will check my archives over the weekend and see what i can come up with. i think i have a pic of it too.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

Can anybody remember :

• when didthe Coop moved from it's original site next to the pit into the single-story, prefabricated building opposite the Institute at Netherton?
  • when did Esther (Rochester) who had the corner shop at Netherton move into the building?

There`s a good photo of the Coop (or what used to be the Coop) in Carole`s gallery http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/gallery/image/239-the-co-op-after-fire/

Can anybody remember :

The Netherton Coop burnt down as far as I remember in the late fifties or early sixties. The Managers name was Storey and as a kid I played with his son in the yard of the house. I remember the store burning down and later I can remember a barn owl nesting in the burnt out ruin. What a life that pair of owls must have had. The village and surrounding countryside was totally overrun by young birdnesters. I can't remember when exactly the new prefab one was built across the road from my house but I think the Manager was called George and his assistant was called Agnes. I don't know when Ester took it over. I think I must have joined the army by that time. I also new Bob Rochester who worked on bank at the pit. They had a house up at Nedderton Village. AB 

When the 'store' burned down it was no longer a store. The 'store' bit was occupied by a local engineering company Beatie and Simm. 

The first manager of the new store opposite the 'tute' was George Todd, later a liberal councillor for Wansbeck Council. Still very much an active man and I was at a lunch do with him just last week. Next time I see him I will get some dates. 

I finally caught up with George Todd the first manager of the new store opposite the "tute" at Netherton and he confirms that it was opened 1962. Another problem solved!

• Like 2

I was born / lived in the tute 1952, we moved to bedlington station well before 1960,

My grandparents had lived in clifton row.

I think the new store was open well before we moved, I recall there was a family in a caravan living behind the store who got my old pedal car.

Rochesters shop,  "hut at the bottom of the garden" was still open.

Edited by Sharpy
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts

• Latest News

• Five parks in Northumberland are to be upgraded thanks to an investment of £287,000.
      Northumberland County Council's cabinet approved to spend £204,000, with the remaining £83,000 funded by contributions from the likes of town and parish councils.
      As part of its medium-term financial plan, the local authority has already set aside capital funding of £150,000 per year from 2018-19 to 2020-21 to invest in parks and green spaces.
      So far, money has been spent at Jennings Field in Bedlington , Astley Park in Seaton Delaval, and Eastwood Park in Prudhoe.
      Following the sign-off on Tuesday, Blyth's Ridley Park and Mermaid play area, Alexandra Park in Cramlington , Gallagher Park in Bedlington, and Rothbury's Riverside play area are all set to benefit.
      At Ridley Park, £45,000 will be spent in total with £25,000 being used to refurbish the hugely-popular water play area.

• Latest Topics