Jump to content
Hide Adverts
Canny lass

"the Store" Netherton

Recommended Posts

Can anybody remember :

  • when didthe Coop moved from it's original site next to the pit into the single-story, prefabricated building opposite the Institute at Netherton?
  • when did the coop finally close?
  • when did Esther (Rochester) who had the corner shop at Netherton move into the building?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a good question. i will check my archives over the weekend and see what i can come up with. i think i have a pic of it too.

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anybody remember :

  • when didthe Coop moved from it's original site next to the pit into the single-story, prefabricated building opposite the Institute at Netherton?
  • when did the coop finally close?
  • when did Esther (Rochester) who had the corner shop at Netherton move into the building?

There`s a good photo of the Coop (or what used to be the Coop) in Carole`s gallery http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/gallery/image/239-the-co-op-after-fire/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anybody remember :

  • when didthe Coop moved from it's original site next to the pit into the single-story, prefabricated building opposite the Institute at Netherton?
  • when did the coop finally close?
  • when did Esther (Rochester) who had the corner shop at Netherton move into the building?

 

The Netherton Coop burnt down as far as I remember in the late fifties or early sixties. The Managers name was Storey and as a kid I played with his son in the yard of the house. I remember the store burning down and later I can remember a barn owl nesting in the burnt out ruin. What a life that pair of owls must have had. The village and surrounding countryside was totally overrun by young birdnesters. I can't remember when exactly the new prefab one was built across the road from my house but I think the Manager was called George and his assistant was called Agnes. I don't know when Ester took it over. I think I must have joined the army by that time. I also new Bob Rochester who worked on bank at the pit. They had a house up at Nedderton Village. AB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the 'store' burned down it was no longer a store. The 'store' bit was occupied by a local engineering company Beatie and Simm. 

The first manager of the new store opposite the 'tute' was George Todd, later a liberal councillor for Wansbeck Council. Still very much an active man and I was at a lunch do with him just last week. Next time I see him I will get some dates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 I finally caught up with George Todd the first manager of the new store opposite the "tute" at Netherton and he confirms that it was opened 1962. Another problem solved!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born / lived in the tute 1952, we moved to bedlington station well before 1960,

My grandparents had lived in clifton row.

I think the new store was open well before we moved, I recall there was a family in a caravan living behind the store who got my old pedal car.

Rochesters shop,  "hut at the bottom of the garden" was still open.

Edited by Sharpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Canny lass :- not the store but close by. This comment and photo posted on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group by Gordon Smith,a local historian, lives in Blyth :- 9 June, 1966. Mr W. Winslow, left, Vice-President of the Bedlington branch of the Royal Naval Association hoists the White Ensign to mark the opening of the new branch headquarters at Netherton. The new headquarters is in the former Netherton Social Club which moved to new premises three years ago. The extensive renovations have cost £15,000. It is the only RNA club between the Tyne and the Tweed and Mr E. Gurney the branch chairman feels it will be well supported. "We have a strong sea-going tradition in the area," he said. BNAP Thursday 16 June, 1966.

I added the text and a couple of members have named 3 of them :-

51149362 named.jpg

A couple of members think that No 4 is Jackie Cunningham and another that No 3 might be Joe Coleman.

Do you know any names for this photo?

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something odd about that picture. Are you sure it's the club at Netherton. Compare the picture with this one from the gallery:

Netherton Club

The low wall to the right of the picture doesn't appear on the picture from the gallery (showing the front of the building). There was, however, a walled enclosure where beer barrels and empties were stored at the back of the building. That was behind the left half of the building as seen on the above gallery picture. If this is Netherton club then they must be hoisting the flag on a wall that faced Choppington pit heap and an empty field. Seems a bit daft when the way in to the club was on the right, as was the name/sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Canny lass said:

There's something odd about that picture. Are you sure it's the club at Netherton. Compare the picture with this one from the gallery:

Netherton Club

The low wall to the right of the picture doesn't appear on the picture from the gallery (showing the front of the building). There was, however, a walled enclosure where beer barrels and empties were stored at the back of the building. That was behind the left half of the building as seen on the above gallery picture. If this is Netherton club then they must be hoisting the flag on a wall that faced Choppington pit heap and an empty field. Seems a bit daft when the way in to the club was on the right, as was the name/sign.

I know what you mean Cl. I did ask Gordon Smith about the building and the people but he never got back to me. I even drove down Netherton Lane, via Google street view, to check the brick work on the new club but couldn't match it :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oneofthevillageschoolkids said:

This is a photo  near 'The bad Boy's Home' at Netherton Park, Stannington which were houses for workers at the home. 

@Oneofthevillageschoolkids - have you see the Netherton Albums in the Gallery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Canny lass :- can you remember a wooden shop or would it have been closed by the time you were born ;).

On the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group this was posted :-  

I was born in Netherton colliery back in 1940 in 4 Clifton Row When my uncle Peter moved into the club and my Grandma moved down to His house at No 9 and took over running his little shop just across the back Row I can just remember it as a wood shed but had proper shop counters and shelves with wood boxes to fit the tins of biscuits covered with glass lid. Don’t know anyone who lived at the Colliery can remember it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My nana lived at 3 Clifton Row from a child so that was from 1896 and her parents the Woods lived there before that. So you must have lived next door to my nana and grandma. When I went to live at the institute and went to nanas nearly every day I remember the Swatik family moving in to number 4 . Was your grandma Ginny Dickinson? My nana and grandad were friends of Ginny and Peter. My nana told me her mother ran a shop from 3 Clifton Row but that was long since gone when I arrived. I don't remember a shop at the bottom of the row - only Mrs Rochesters shop that was at the bottom of our garden at the Tute. I'll ask my older brother if he can remember you grandma's shop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Oneofthevillageschoolkids said:

My nana lived at 3 Clifton Row from a child so that was from 1896 and her parents the Woods lived there before that. So you must have lived next door to my nana and grandma. When I went to live at the institute and went to nanas nearly every day I remember the Swatik family moving in to number 4 . Was your grandma Ginny Dickinson? My nana and grandad were friends of Ginny and Peter. My nana told me her mother ran a shop from 3 Clifton Row but that was long since gone when I arrived. I don't remember a shop at the bottom of the row - only Mrs Rochesters shop that was at the bottom of our garden at the Tute. I'll ask my older brother if he can remember you grandma's shop. 

Unfortunately @Oneofthevillageschoolkids the David Dickinson that made the comment and lived at No 34 Clifton Road is not a member of this group. He posted the comment of the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group. I could copy your comment onto David Dickinson's post and see what he remembers and I will copy his response back to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Oneofthevillageschoolkids :- posted your comment on the topic on the Facebook Bygone Bedlington group and David Dickinson replied :- David Dickinson Alan Edgar Thanks As I said I was born at No 4 in 1940 but moved back to to my Morpeth Grans when I was quite small But used to to my Netherton Grandma every other Sunday for my tea They was just my auntie Ginny and uncle Frank living there at the time my uncle peter was down at No 9 next to the Grants the little shop was just across the back row The field behind was were they tipped the rubbish from washers and was were the entrance to the drift mine entrance was My dad told me they used to take us down the drift during air raids.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019 at 23:16, Oneofthevillageschoolkids said:

I don't remember a shop at the bottom of the row - only Mrs Rochesters shop that was at the bottom of our garden at the Tute. I'll ask my older brother if he can remember you grandma's shop. 

I lived in Third Street from 1950 onwards and Esther Rochester's  shop (in the green shed) was always at the bottom of the garden of number 24 Third Street - the last garden on the row. The 'tute' was at the opposite end of the street and nowhere near the shop. However, she later moved her business into the prefab building opposite the institute but that wasn't near any gardens. Did she have another shop prior to the green shed at number 24?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at this aerial view:

It's not the best of photos but you can see clearly that the new Coop store (the light coloured building across the road from the institute) has been built. At the other end of the row (if you put your glasses on and zoom in) .you can just make out the shape and colour of Esther's green shed. I'd love to know if she'd had another place before this.

Netherton Colliery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2019 at 19:41, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Canny lass :- not the store but close by. This comment and photo posted on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group by Gordon Smith,a local historian, lives in Blyth :- 9 June, 1966. Mr W. Winslow, left, Vice-President of the Bedlington branch of the Royal Naval Association hoists the White Ensign to mark the opening of the new branch headquarters at Netherton. The new headquarters is in the former Netherton Social Club which moved to new premises three years ago. The extensive renovations have cost £15,000. It is the only RNA club between the Tyne and the Tweed and Mr E. Gurney the branch chairman feels it will be well supported. "We have a strong sea-going tradition in the area," he said. BNAP Thursday 16 June, 1966.

I added the text and a couple of members have named 3 of them :-

51149362 named.jpg

A couple of members think that No 4 is Jackie Cunningham and another that No 3 might be Joe Coleman.

Do you know any names for this photo?

This photo is  the front of the club next to the railway line .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 10:52, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I know what you mean Cl. I did ask Gordon Smith about the building and the people but he never got back to me. I even drove down Netherton Lane, via Google street view, to check the brick work on the new club but couldn't match it :huh:

On 03/02/2019 at 10:52, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I know what you mean Cl. I did ask Gordon Smith about the building and the people but he never got back to me. I even drove down Netherton Lane, via Google street view, to check the brick work on the new club but couldn't match it :huh:

This is the club at Netherton Colliery Bedlington the guys with the flag are on the other side of the building next to the railway line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2019 at 10:52, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I know what you mean Cl. I did ask Gordon Smith about the building and the people but he never got back to me. I even drove down Netherton Lane, via Google street view, to check the brick work on the new club but couldn't match it :huh:

Nothing odd about the photo its the club at Netherton Colliery Bedlington 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, timeslip1 said:

This photo is  the front of the club next to the railway line .

Flag pole next to railway line faced the 4 street , entrance faced the fields

The Club at Netherton Colliery Bedlington

 

 

Photo_Editor_Effects2015_11_09_14_44_13_kindlephoto-2427140.jpg

IMG_20150405_085501-2_kindlephoto-1159494.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for throwing some light on that, timeslip1. Another mystery solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hide Adverts


  • Latest News

    • A new home at Cambois has been given the go-ahead after councillors rejected the planners' view that the site was in the open countryside.
      Plans for the construction of a two-storey house and detached garage, between Berristock and Debdon House, were recommended for refusal at Wednesday night's (March 13) Ashington and Blyth Local Area Council.
      But members unanimously backed the scheme, as they did not consider it was in the open countryside, that it was on previously developed brownfield land and that a refusal - saying development was unsuitable in this area - would essentially split Cambois in two.
      The ward councillor, Jeff Gobin, and East Bedlington Parish Council had both supported the application as well.
      Coun Brian Gallacher said: "If this applicant didn't build his house there, what else is going to go there? You are going to end up with a patch of wasteland."
      Coun Grant Davey added: "I would like to see Cambois rebuilt as a very lively village."

  • Latest Topics

×