Wind Farm In Bedlington?

Neil

You mean the age of super 8 is over? Good grief, I'll have to get all my slides reprocessed, or face the shame of living in the past

Edited by Black Bull Bedlington

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

when i go down to the beach at blyth and i see them windmills not turning it makes my blood boil . knowing that out to sea. their is millions of tons of coal still to be mined

Give me Bates colliery over wind trubines any day of the week, i would choose Bates every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Give me Bates colliery over wind trubines any day of the week, i would choose Bates every time.

my father worked down the mines and got out when i was young, ,

my uncle (dads brother) worked for the mines (netherton colliery and then transfered to bates) until the 1984 strike and had to wait to retire(until the strike finished) my other uncles all worked in the mines lynmouth, ellington another at brenkley.... one of my grandfathers worked at woodhorn.

they all said if there had been a choice they would have done something else.

I was 'lucky' enough to go down netherton (for a look around to see what it was like) after it had stopped producing coal before being decomissioned and I personally think it was a horrible/dangerous place to earn your living, the environment is dark, dirty, stale, much better to be topside

Edited by curly

• 2 weeks later...

The application for the two wind turbines has been withdrawn.

I agree the wind turbines are ineffective by themselves, they need to look to nuclear power in addition to the re-newable energies. Coal is unsustainable, fact.

My family were all miners, and they never wanted anyone following in their footsteps, as it was a hard, dirty way to earn a living.

• Like 1

they need to look to nuclear power in addition to the re-newable energies.

So you would like to see a nuclear power station at cambois or lynemouth and what about the waste is that not more "Dirty" then coal and also Nuclear is unsustainable, Fact

Coal is unsustainable, fact.

Clear coal technology, over 200 years of coal reserves around the UK, so how is it unsustainable?

So you would like to see a nuclear power station at cambois or lynemouth and what about the waste is that not more "Dirty" then coal and also Nuclear is unsustainable, Fact

It wouldn't bother me. neither do wind turbines, but we need a source of power, and if it needs to be in my backyard then fine by me.

Clear coal technology, over 200 years of coal reserves around the UK, so how is it unsustainable?

200 years - so by definition unsustainable - what happens when it runs out? Nuclear + renewables is the only way forward.

1 truck of uranium produces as much energy as 1000 trucks of coal!

Edited by 11011100
  • Like 1

i read the posts about the coal mines some of the posts are saying they would not go back to the mines . what made them go to the mines in the first place they could have gone to other types of work ? i had about 40 years at the collierys if i had my time over again i would do the same again.

i read the posts about the coal mines some of the posts are saying they would not go back to the mines . what made them go to the mines in the first place they could have gone to other types of work ? i had about 40 years at the collierys if i had my time over again i would do the same again.

People are quick to condem coal mining, but people have to think if coal mining had never happened bedlington would be 10 times as small as as it is now if it had not been thanks to collieries same with Ashington, Ellington, Lynemouth, Blyth and many other towns in the local area. I am proud to say I'm from a mining family, to say I am the son of a miner and from a mining town.

Edited by Adam Hogg

It wouldn't bother me. neither do wind turbines, but we need a source of power, and if it needs to be in my backyard then fine by me.

200 years - so by definition unsustainable - what happens when it runs out? Nuclear + renewables is the only way forward.

1 truck of uranium produces as much energy as 1000 trucks of coal!

1) So we can dump nuclear waste in your back garden?

2) How long will Nuclear fuel last?

Edited by Adam Hogg

1) So we can dump nuclear waste in your back garden?

Thats not what I meant, i meant that I'm happy to have a nuclear plant in the area and have loads of wind turbines nearby. Lots of smaller ones, maybe one per house would mean far less dependency on non-renewable energies. Also maybe keep them out to sea or in urban areas, and leave the countryside free of them.

2) How long will Nuclear fuel last?

At current production levels well over 200 years for the whole planet. Which is why we need to reduce production and use renewables like wind turbines and wave machines and not fossel fuels.

I'd like a planet that my kids, and grandkids can survive on, wouldn't everyone?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not having a go at miners or what they did, I'm from a family of miners, actually generations of them, and I'm proud of what they did, and the areas that the mines produced, like Ashington and Bedlington, etc. The north east should be proud of it's heritage, it's made us what we are.

All I'm saying is we just need to preserve our fossel fuels for the generations to come, not squander it now.

How long will Nuclear fuel last?

sorry I should have qualified that statement - At current production levels well over 200 years for the whole planet. That is of course for Uranium.

The extraction of uranium from seawater would generate a 60,000-year supply at present rates, and using fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors, which generate more fuel than they consume. Breeder reactors could match today's nuclear output for 30,000 years.

Did that answer your question Adam?

sorry I should have qualified that statement - At current production levels well over 200 years for the whole planet. That is of course for Uranium.

The extraction of uranium from seawater would generate a 60,000-year supply at present rates, and using fuel-recycling fast-breeder reactors, which generate more fuel than they consume. Breeder reactors could match today's nuclear output for 30,000 years.

Did that answer your question Adam?

But is Nuclear not a fossil fuel so are you not contributing to the problem not solving it? also as i said before what do you do about the waste, can't bury it, can't dump it at sea, can't store it underground, so what do you do with it? I'm not pro nuclear because of all the problems there has been over the years with it and the problems with waste, i would to also have a planet for future generations, but would not like them to have any health problems due to Nuclear like cancer, had enough of that with the lose of one family member to it, dont want anyone else to get that horrible disease.

but would not like them to have any health problems due to Nuclear like cancer, had enough of that with the lose of one family member to it, dont want anyone else to get that horrible disease.

cancers are caused by many factors, lifestyle being the greatest factor; not just environmental.

yes radiation does cause cancer, but in limited does CURES cancer as well

mining illnesses - emphysema, silicosis, COAD, lung cancer ( must admit this one iffy as some miners smoked), if involved with asbestos and it was down mines - malignant mesothelioma

Related but a bit off topic!

What is the effect of using renewable energy, if any? the absorbing or slowing down the wind to turn windmills, absorbing wave energy, absorbing heat from solar panels, thermal pumps etc, All of these things must have some affect on weather trends, patterns etc even if only very minutely. "The butterfly effectâ€.

Energy cannot naturally be created or destroyed! (or so I'm told!) Which of the renewable energy's has the least undesirable side effects, making solar panels is supposed to be quite a dirty process! other processes use things like fibre glass, Kevlar, silicon etc, much of which I'm sure is mined!

Related but a bit off topic!

What is the effect of using renewable energy, if any? the absorbing or slowing down the wind to turn windmills, absorbing wave energy, absorbing heat from solar panels, thermal pumps etc, All of these things must have some affect on weather trends, patterns etc even if only very minutely. "The butterfly effect”.

Energy cannot naturally be created or destroyed! (or so I'm told!) Which of the renewable energy's has the least undesirable side effects, making solar panels is supposed to be quite a dirty process! other processes use things like fibre glass, Kevlar, silicon etc, much of which I'm sure is mined!

You are right Vic most renewable energys are not "green" as they take a lots of energy to build. For example: solar panels are made using aluminium a lot of energy goes into making aluminium as we all know from our local Alcan, so by the time the Bauxite is mined, shipped and turned into aluminium in a smelter it has used a lot energy then you have to finish making the panel then transport it to the place it is going to be used at.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now