a 42 bedroom old peoples home. Whether this is residential or care home I am unsure and I can't remember the difference either.

See Malcolm's post from the Bedlington Forum minutes for further information on the THI and developments in the area.

http://www.bedlingto...eting-28112011/

The Chair updated the meeting on the 42 bed home which is to be built on the old Elliott's Garage site all were encouraged to view the plans and to make comment to the planning department if they so wished. Planning number 11/01969/FUL. 21days from 16th November was closing date for any objections to be lodged.

A residential home can't be built on the land as the application has been withdrawn (source: http://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?previousCaseUprn=010012422026&previousCaseType=Property&previousKeyVal=00IYEUTGLI000&activeTab=summary&previousCaseNumber=00IR4CTGBU000&keyVal=LQ2UBTQS04F00) and the other application made before has expired so if he builds on the site he would be breaking the law.

A residential home can't be built on the land as the application has been withdrawn (source: http://publicaccess....l=LQ2UBTQS04F00) and the other application made before has expired so if he builds on the site he would be breaking the law.

Adam,

Hasn't the one for a nursing home been withdrawn but there is still one for a residential home passed seeing as demolition has started.

No he has taken over five years to begin the development so the application should be null and void if he wants to build he should have to reapply for planning permission and go though everything again if not he is breaking the law a could face a fine or even a prison trip, i think. :glare:

I had a few more ambitious plans for it Adam, if I could have got hold of a certain pot of money we seem to have been fleeced out of!

I still think the residential care home planning holds as they started demolition. That's what we were told!

If it is built as on the plans it will not only destroy the building line at that side of the street it will effectively block out direct sun light for the market place.

• 4 weeks later...

Not living in the area any more, its sad to hear Elliots have gone. That piccy brought some memories back.

Before I was born, my father worked there for a while, it was just after the war, while my parents were living in with my grandparents at Stakeford. Sorry for that, I do ramble on sometimes. They ought to plan something worthwhile for the site, but being planners the thoughts of beer parties and breweries spring to mind. They are the same all over this country.

• 10 months later...

I was walking passed the site of Elliots Garage and noticed something very interesting about it the road between Elliots and the Sun Inn, some of the road has caved in all the kerbs and part of the road have now entered the site wonder what Highways will have to say about that?

I'd be surprised if Foxy isn't on to this one Adam.

Malcolm,

I noticed a crack in the road on 13th January and was concerned that it was going to collapse. I use it 6 times daily and as it was a Sunday the only option was to ask the Police to put a barrier or cones in place to divert drivers around the fault.The reaction was "we don't have any cones" When they were asked if they could do anything about the inconsiderate parking adjacent to the subsidence (which now means the whole road is blocked) they say parking issues are not their responsibility, so no joy there. Next stop County Hall, (after the developer has Fenced off the subsidence) spoke to the officer in charge of the development who had no knowledge of the issue after 8 days. I have now been told she contacted the Highways Agency who in turn have spoken to the developer and the reply was "Its too cold to lay concrete".

post-2205-0-31151000-1359114297_thumb.jp

Edited by foxy

Parking and enforcement have been taken off the police and handed over to the County Council who now have those traffic wardens who we might see time to time. There is supposed to be a telephone number to use for 'immediate' results!

The rest of it looks like I said……….can we bend over anymore?

There seems to be a whole new bureaucracy involved in getting out of actually taking responsibility for just about anything these days. Small wonder when the guys at the top do it all the time! Seems we can justify high salaries and pay by mentioning increasing responsibilities but when it comes time to park the buck the only game in town is pass the parcel!

There seems to be a whole new bureaucracy involved in getting out of actually taking responsibility for just about anything these days. Small wonder when the guys at the top do it all the time! Seems we can justify high salaries and pay by mentioning increasing responsibilities but when it comes time to park the buck the only game in town is pass the parcel!

That's what I went through with the street lighting, Malcolm. Pass the buck. "It's not our fault it's...."

The police are not divested of their powers they can still do what they did before its just there is now a dedicated team at County which is supposed to do parking enforcement, issue parking fines etc.

Or the cynic in me would suggest........corral cars into paid car parks.

If these traffic wardens have to be self funding does that mean if they do their jobs well and reduce illegal and inconsiderate parking they are in fact making themselves redundant?

Malcolm,

I noticed a crack in the road on 13th January and was concerned that it was going to collapse. I use it 6 times daily and as it was a Sunday the only option was to ask the Police to put a barrier or cones in place to divert drivers around the fault.The reaction was "we don't have any cones" When they were asked if they could do anything about the inconsiderate parking adjacent to the subsidence (which now means the whole road is blocked) they say parking issues are not their responsibility, so no joy there. Next stop County Hall, (after the developer has Fenced off the subsidence) spoke to the officer in charge of the development who had no knowledge of the issue after 8 days. I have now been told she contacted the Highways Agency who in turn have spoken to the developer and the reply was "Its too cold to lay concrete".

The thing is that has been left like that without any support since he knocked down the garage, I knew it would be only a matter of time before the road was damaged in some way also his reply of "Its too cold to lay concrete". does not hold water (no pun intended) because it has not been too cold since he started work, the county or Highways Agency should fine him for the damage, as this has been caused thank to his actions.

• 1 month later...

I walked up to see at first hand what was happening.

I was amazed to find the concrete is not supporting anything and the building behind looks as if it will suffer the same fate as the road.

Please someone reassure me that the developers know what they are doing!

It is such a historic site, could we persuade them to do a time team type dig before they do anymore.

What is there to lose, they do not seem to care about safety and the danger posed to the businesses and people of Bedlington.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now