Black Bull Questions And Answers

Hi all,

First off I'm not an expert on every form of drink, but I have tried many alcoholic drinks over my varied and chequered history. I'm a member of The British Institute of Innkeepers (MBII) and also a card carrying member of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA). I love real ale and also real cider and perry. Whisky is also a hobby.:-) again I'm not an expert.

Whilst we are here at the Black Bull the obvious intention is to make it commercially viable as a business, and I do appreciate this will not be an easy task. I'm hoping to get involved with various community events and also to make the Black Bull a community pub that is at the heart of the community.

I hope you'll all understand I'm not from around these parts so I'll have many questions for you all as well. If I can help on anything alcoholic, question wise then do feel free to ask.

I also love live music in many forms, folk, blues, jazz, rock, soul (including northern) and some classical. Here at the pub I'll be encouraging live music as much as possible. If you know anyone who enjoys playing and has annoyed the neighbours too much, send them along.

Chris M

Chris,

The Bull used to have a weekly buskers night. I can contact the original organiser for you and see if they would like to take it up again....

Many thanks for the offer, sadly the previous organiser priced themselves out of a very limited budget, I'm told and we are now, more than happy to be working with Colin Patterson going forward. I do appreciate the offer though. Who knows what the future holds.

Chris - real ale, yummy. How well does this stuff travel and is there, because of this, a limitation on where you can source the ales. In other words will ale from Southern England, and other far-flung places been on offer or will you source 'locally'. Are there any/many brewers left in the North East?

http://www.cannybevv..._breweries.html

Also check out the Real Ale Guide site for information on surrounding areas.

http://www.realaleguide.co.uk/id225.html

http://www.realaleguide.co.uk/id215.html

There are plenty of local breweries if you include Cumbria and Tyne & Wear.

As for ciders you have to go daarn saarf for most of those may have something to do with the northern climate for fruit growing though

Edited by Brettly

Every Tuesday from 14th February we are encouraging musicians' date=' singers, poets, story tellers to come along and perform. We'll be providing a sound system (courtesy of Colin Patterson) and subsidised drinks for performers.

If you prefer acoustic or folk music nights we've set aside Thursday nights as your night. We are also looking to establish a folk club in Bedlington to help preserve the local distinctive folk music and also to encourage younger members of the community to get involved in this type of music. To perform at either night will be completely free to the performers. Also there will be no charge at any time to watch any of the acts. If a folk club is established it will not be necessary to join it to watch and listen to the music, but to be a member may involve a subscription in the future.[/quote']

Thursday nights will definitely be our night but the introduction of live music anywhere in the local area can only be a good thing regardless of the genre.

I can't see me or my better half performing but we would definitely enjoy this sort of thing.

I know there are a group of singers that get into the Melton Constable down the road once a month who would fit the sound your describing I just can't find any information on them at the moment.

Well most real ales will travel, my last pub was in Lancashire and we regularly featured Cornish, Kentish and other southern brews. Most of the skill is settling and then keeping good temperature control. As for real ciders, there are some made in Lancashire, but most are of course made down south along with some excellent perries. Sadly at present I cannot stock these due to tie restraints, though I will be working on it. I'm a member of CAMRA so from the next issue of the cannybevvy magazine we hope to be a local distributor of the magazine. Whilst we are on the subject, any CAMRA member is entitled to 10p per pint discount on real ales here. Other discounts may apply, but call in for details.

There are at least 7 microbrewers either here in Northumberland, or in Tyneside. The most local of which is Northumberland Brewery Ltd, based right here in Bedlington. I hope to feature their brews at a later date, but at present cannot do so because of the brewery tie.

Edited by Black Bull Bedlington

I believe, miss PennyLane, I know who you are, and it was you I was offering to contact for Chris...........(yes, you do know me; think grey hair, glasses, etc.....)

As I said, I was told, that it had been priced out of the budget, so if it wasn't you charging it was someone else here, prior to my arrival. :angry: I'll chat with you on that if you come along, as I abhor fraud in all its forms and would pass the details along to Marstons who control the budgets here.

The last thing I want to do is to cause ill feeling so do please feel free to come along to the new night, any Tuesday night, or if more folk style come along on Thursdays, I do like and enjoy live music in many forms, and would love you to be part of the new buskers arrangement. We are offering pints for players and subsidised soft drinks for drivers bringing 2 or more passengers. :thumbsup:

Keith, I'll look forward to meeting and chatting with you when you're dragged up here. I take it you'll be the one in the corner tied to a chair? ;)

Brettly, sorry I missed your earlier comments, about the Melton Constable. If you can pass information along I'd be very grateful. I've made contact with someone from Cramlington folk club and they will be passing details on.

As I said, I was told, that it had been priced out of the budget, so if it wasn't you charging it was someone else here, prior to my arrival. :angry: I'll chat with you on that if you come along, as I abhor fraud in all its forms and would pass the details along to Marstons who control the budgets here.

The last thing I want to do is to cause ill feeling so do please feel free to come along to the new night, any Tuesday night, or if more folk style come along on Thursdays, I do like and enjoy live music in many forms, and would love you to be part of the new buskers arrangement. We are offering pints for players and subsidised soft drinks for drivers bringing 2 or more passengers. :thumbsup:

Keith, I'll look forward to meeting and chatting with you when you're dragged up here. I take it you'll be the one in the corner tied to a chair? ;)

Absolutely, I'll be the one with the corn cob pipe and a slack jaw, my real name is Malcolm Robinson.

Will you do food at the BB or isn't there any kitchen facility's ? :glare:

Hello everyone,

My wife (Sue) and I (Chris) have recently taken over the management of The Black Bull in Front Street East. We were previously in Morecambe at another pub, The Smugglers Den.

We are hoping to make the Black Bull into a friendly and welcoming community public house, where everyone will feel welcome and appreciated. We have no catering facilities, but are hoping to sell really good cask ales, along with various other alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. We have a largish back room which is much under utilised. If there are any local groups looking for a meeting place, why not come along and use the room during the day. We are hoping to promote live folk music and also morris dancing along with other musical events on some evenings.

We have two dogs and a cat (who is in charge) but we are dog friendly(well behaved). Again a warm welcome is extended to local dog walkers.

Do feel free to pop in and chat as we are both in Northumberland for the first time in our lives and are both looking to make friends and settle into the community over the next few months and years.

Chris and Sue

This was taken from the introductions thread that Chris started.

http://www.bedlingto...new-management/

A new offer from us to all of you. On your birthday, we'll get you a drink free of charge. Just bring two friends (or more) with you and let us know you are a member of the forums here. Buy any two drinks and get the third free as a happy birthday from us to any forum member. It will be your drink that is the free one. The offer is open on your birthday only and must be requested at the time of the order. Not combinable with any other offer and you must be over 18 along with any friends who are with you. We operate a strict Challenge 21 policy and promote responsible drinking.

• Like 3

Nice offer. It's my 35th (again) next Sunday, I may well drag some unsuspecting bods down. By the way, I am told you hold a quiz on a wednesday, is this so? Could do with something to do mid-week....

A new offer from us to all of you. On your birthday, we'll get you a drink free of charge. Just bring two friends (or more) with you and let us know you are a member of the forums here. Buy any two drinks and get the third free as a happy birthday from us to any forum member. It will be your drink that is the free one. The offer is open on your birthday only and must be requested at the time of the order. Not combinable with any other offer and you must be over 18 along with any friends who are with you. We operate a strict Challenge 21 policy and promote responsible drinking.

Thank you very much, I am fortunate to have several birthdays a year, depending on my mood, the weather, and what form I am filling in.

Yes there is a quiz every Wednesday, poorly attended at present so easy to win prizes. I'll take the word of a gentleman or gentlewoman that it is indeed their birthday, and that will include all here on the forum.

Look forward to meeting you all on your birthdays.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now