Club Domino

From disused Wallaw Cinema to luxury nightspot in nine weeks. The Club Domino, at Bedlington Station opened it's doors in April 1968. It cost £25,000. Do you have any memories ?

Ok i will start. "I met my wife there" Been married 31 years this July.

I met Malcolm McDonald there on his birthday night too.

post-1337-0-64723100-1327077665_thumb.jp

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

My parents were friends of the owners but I can't recall their names (not my parents :rolleyes:).

I seem to remember that they may have lived in a monster traditional showman caravan (4 wheels {one in each corner}, the whole thing painted maroon & cream) which was parked opposite the Domino ... I also think they may have had some connection to nightclubs in Newcastle and The Spanish City at Whitley Bay. Of course, these details may be inaccurately remembered and I'm happy to be corrected.

Ah all the fond memories of the Domino,back in '75 my cousin Al and i frequented the place whenever we could, at the time they played a song called Ah we are going to Barbados does any one remember who sang/ Played this song even when i hear it now (not so often) i think of those drunken times in the Domino.

Noble Organisation?

Twas them, Foxy. Clarence Cooper would often hire the place for his various do's as well. There were obvious connections between the Noble Organisation and Coopers. I remember him hiring Bobby Thompson for one of his "do's" and Rue and the Rockets provided the music , another connection to show folk (Ruben Slater of the famous show family)

Ah all the fond memories of the Domino,back in '75 my cousin Al and i frequented the place whenever we could, at the time they played a song called Ah we are going to Barbados does any one remember who sang/ Played this song even when i hear it now (not so often) i think of those drunken times in the Domino.

Typically Tropical were the group Brian. Them Gibbon cousins of yours certainly led you astray, no wonder you did a bunk to Oz. Freds wife , Brenda was at ours earlier tonight .

You had to be drunk before you whent there, cos you couldnt get hammered on the beer in there. I used to drink the Watney's Red Barrell in there, usually a good pint but sadly not in the Domino, it was as flat as a Japs face, but, what the hell, nobody cared.

Edited by keith

Club Domino, my favorite subject as a few people on here already know. Right I'll start at the beginning. As a little kid aged 6 or 7 my Aunt came from Co Durham and took me and my two sisters to see a movie at the Wallaw. I think the movie was "The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery" Only movie I ever saw there. Then the place closed and was remodeled to be The Domino as we called it. Big night club that was just up the street from where we lived as I lived at 15 Kings rd. My Mom & Dad used to go there all the time.

I remember once they went with my aunt's and uncles and they were being very secretive but excited about the act the night before. The act was "Dicky and Dotty". I soon figured out it was a semi nude act where the guy "Dicky" all he had on was a hat to cover his parts and I think the girl "Dotty" had fig leaves covering her parts. Ask the older folks, 60 70 yr old's, they will remember. Another time my Mom said "I lost my false eye lashes in my drink" She said that to me just last week..

As kids we would play in the parking lot beside the side doors, before they put up the big fence and me and Peter Hall (Alan) as I knew him then got asked in to see the act in there make up room, that happened a couple of times although we didn't have a clue who we were meeting, we soon got bored of that. Next they built the big fence at the side of the building so one day we were going to the shop and there was a bull from one of the farms down opposite Grange Park was wandering the street in front of The Domino so I thought I'll get it to chase me into the fenced area so opened the gate took off my red top I was wearing and went up to the bull waving my red top at the bull, sure enough it came after me, I ran into the fenced area had my sister close the gate behind the bull and I climbed the fence red top still in mi hand and we went home. My sis said should we tell anyone, no I said. I was maybe 10 yr old. Eric and Paul Emmerson were with us that day.

Then there was the Saturday afternoon kid dances. This was the highlight of my younger days. Me and my good friends, Peter Hall, Eric Emmerson, Robie (David Robertson) used to go and they used to have a dance competition every Saturday and I used to dance my heart out and used to win all the time and the girl who ran it used to give me a box of chocolates and would ask me for a kiss when she gave me the chocolates. That was the best, I loved it. CYMPIL IF YOU CAN REMEMBER HER NAME CAN YOU PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME WITH HER NAME. THE GIRL WHO USED TO RUN THE DANCES..????? and I'll fill you in more then......You will be quite surprised....LOL...Then we moved to Canada in 1973.

In 1977 or 78 we went home for a holiday and it was xmas time and I went to The Domino on New Years Eve, I met a guy who was on sick leave from the Army as he got knifed in the stomach by a young kid in Northern Ireland and it just turned 12 midnight so I said to him lets go give New Year kisses out and me and this guy went around and kissed every girl in the place. that was a great night..so I have many great memories of The Domino. Too bad it's gone now....

Right then Keith and Brian I was part of the fittings there from 68 onwards and saw most of the top pop groups that appeared and have photos of some. How about a little quiz ? You get 1 point if you can name the singer, 2 points for the keyboard player, 3 points for each of the crowd and nowt for the Bouncer cos everybody knew him!! By the way I want the maiden names for the women.

Edited by foxy

Was the tall guy in the suit at the back called Wilf,? I think he was the manager for a few years. Those pics are a little early for me, tried to get in a few times but couldn't, I wouldn't have been 18 till Dec '73, I was one of those who always looked young (still am). Me and a mate had been refused entry one night and we were stood in the shelter opposite the Clayton when a Transit van pulled up and the driver asked how to get to the stage door, we started to tell him when he told us to jump in. We showed him round and the group invited us in, the bouncers were livid cos we got one over them, the band was Brian Poole and the Tremeloes.

Edited by keith

Typically Tropical were the group Brian. Them Gibbon cousins of yours certainly led you astray, no wonder you did a bunk to Oz. Freds wife , Brenda was at ours earlier tonight .

You had to be drunk before you whent there, cos you couldnt get hammered on the beer in there. I used to drink the Watney's Red Barrell in there, usually a good pint but sadly not in the Domino, it was as flat as a Japs face, but, what the hell, nobody cared.

ta Keith you are right it was the Gibbons that made me do a bunk down under, we used to get pie faced at the Railway and the Percy before heading down to the Dom. how is Freddie going give him my best when next you see him ta Mate.

Right then Keith and Brian I was part of the fittings there from 68 onwards and saw most of the top pop groups that appeared and have photos of some. How about a little quiz ? You get 1 point if you can name the singer, 2 points for the keyboard player, 3 points for each of the crowd and nowt for the Bouncer cos everybody knew him!! By the way I want the maiden names for the women.

I am thinking foxy could take some time tho.

• 5 months later...

Hello all, my name is Keith and I'm new here. For what its worth I remember the cinema and the Domino. I was just starting the Woody School when the Domino opened and one incident I recall was a very windy day when a box blew open and scattered 'admission tickets' all the way down the street. Me and my mates picked handfuls up and stuffed them into our school blazers. Halfway through the first class the headmaster came round and said the Domino manager was demanding them all back.

I was a regular at the Domino - Lucifers - Lucys, et al, and lost many a Saturday night at the Claggy Mat. The sticky carpet saved me from a good hiding once when a drunk came at me and his feet stuck - honest. He had been standing at the middle bar for so long his shoes had adhered to the carpet. He fell flat on his face and I scarpered. The one thing I loathed about that place though was the Watneys Red Barrell in those chunky glasses. You needed two hands just to carry your pint around. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my thought. Cheers.

Too, true, Keith. I soon learned to drink shorts and not pints - either vodka and lime (Yeah, I know, wussy!) or pernod. With the latter you woke up the next morning with a taste of anniseed in your mouth - one drink of water and you were drunk again. One thing I remember clearly though - was the Laurel and Hardy poster on the wall!!! Well that's another fine mess I've gotten myself into.

I remember the cloakroom at the top where that little quiet bar was. One night I lost my ticket and the girl told me just to go in and find it. The room was like an L shape or dog leg. What you saw from the counter were neat coats hanging on neat pegs. Well I turned that corner and there was just a pile of coats and jackets on top of each other. I could have come away with anything I wanted. Happy days and nights at the Claggy Mat.

• 2 years later...

My parents were friends of the owners but I can't recall their names (not my parents :rolleyes:).

I seem to remember that they may have lived in a monster traditional showman caravan (4 wheels {one in each corner}, the whole thing painted maroon & cream) which was parked opposite the Domino ... I also think they may have had some connection to nightclubs in Newcastle and The Spanish City at Whitley Bay. Of course, these details may be inaccurately remembered and I'm happy to be corrected.

Hi  Symptoms,the big trailer 'van was owned by John and Amy Houghton who designed and built the "Astronaught" elevating fairground ride,which was based at the Spanish City,for years,until John sold it.

They owned the Clayton ballroom,and ran the roller-skating on Wednesday nights,and the dances on Friday,and Saturday nights.

Noo,whether they owned the Domino,I can't say,as I was out of touch with them by that time.

The Astronaught ride had a big press review at the time,cos it was unique,the first in the world,and everybody wanted to copy it...[probably did,as time went by...this was in the 60's if i'm not going senile...!!]

I met my Wife at the Clayton one Wednesday night,as we skated around.....in 1962!

The Houghton's had a Son,[adopted?..not clear on that one,but he lived with them,and was brought up by them,in the big trailer,[showman's 'van].

My Wife used to be very friendly with them,and used to call in after the skating finshed each week.

One night she went to say hello,and came out sobbing her heart out,her "old " friend Mick,had been killed on he's motorbike.

It took months and months for her to come to terms with it,She was just over 16 yrs old,and I was 17 yrs old.

As time went by,I played on that stage on dance nights,we had some great times in that hall.

Me being a tee-totaller,I only went ti the Domino ti see "The Ivy League","Troggs","Los Zafiros",Toby Twirl,[Davy Holland ..[Holly]...from Blyth..],and other great groups..,so I cannot comment on the beer!!

All these facts are probably googlable....!!![not me playing there...of course!]

Foxy,in the latter years,the only bouncer that I knew of was Big Bill E.,who is my old pit Marra,and like you say,everybody knew him,cos he was the same doon thi pit!!....every bugga knew him there as weel...just one of those person's with a very strong character.

He threw my nephews and mates oot one night cos they were throwing beer at each other,over the newly-fitted carpets.!

• 1 month later...

I recall visiting the 'domino' when it was a picture house -- used to get the train there from choppington but had to walk back as it was after 9pm and no trains then!! I seem to recall seeing a film called 'Tarzans greatest adventure ' there well under age !!!

and oh yes the claggy mat -- I recall it was a bit dull there one night so they had a football match on the 'dance' floor

• 2 years later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now