More On Barrington

Just thought i would start another topic on Barrington. Could do with some stories as i am getting a little bored at the moment. The group is back together at the end of the month and will see what it brings up of interest.

Anyway. In the other Barrington topic i found it very interesting and i mentioned the Barrington Toll Gate and that i thought it was the Fletcher family who ran it for a lot of years. I checked some of the groups records as i promised and put a pic on for you all. Here is the info that we have in our archives. Can anyone add a bit more to it ?

The Fletcher's were on duty 24 hours a day working for the Coal Company. When it closed it was operated by 56 year old Miss Jessie Ann Fletcher, who took it over after the death of her mother, Margaret, in 1902. Jessie was solely dependent upon her employment as means of a livelihood.

Levies were, motor vehicles and horse drawn carts and traps were 6d. Cattle 1/2 d per head, which sum permitted free access to the road for the remainder of the day. Sheep were charged at a farthing per head. The toll did not affect pedestrians, cyclists or motor cyclists.

In 1884, local newspapers carried the story of Dr. Carmichael who refused to pay his toll when on a call to Barrington at night. He was alleged to have hit Mrs. Fletcher with his riding crop and was taken to court by the local Coal Company, where he was fined for assault.

Carmichael, who was Medical Officer of Health, later condemned some of the Coal Company's houses, so gaining revenge for the incident.

Lets keep our heritage alive.

Don't forget if you like this sort of history why not get online at the groups website at : http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

All our archives are going online over this coming year and it will be the place to visit in your quest for history on our area.

We have hundreds of old photographs of this area to go on line and very rare ones too.

I am enjoying my time on here lets keep our memories alive. As i always said. Its your memories and your heritage.

post-1337-0-25881000-1326844907_thumb.jp

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now