New Website With Archives Coming.

Hi all. Our new website is now online. http://www.sixtmedia.org.uk

We are publishing all our archive material over the coming year.

It covers all of Bedlingtonshire and includes Bedlington, Barrington, West Sleekburn, East Sleekburn, Netherton, Cambois, Choppington, Blyth, Morpeth, and Tyneside and more. Hopefully it will help those interested in the area.

Com oning soon is "Our Colliery Villages" from 1901. What was your colliery village like in that year. Have a look and keep looking back as we expand the website with our archives. It will keep you intrested for many years as we get it all online. Keep your memories and heritage alive and Email us them for to publish online. Its Your Memories and Your Heritage.

Also just going online is our sister site http://www.sixtownships.org.uk

Finally our other sister site is under major construction at http://sixtownships.weebly.com

We anticipate that over the coming year visitors and members will have a huge archive collection online for them to aid in their research.

Please be patient as we update our websites and hopefully we can help all who are interested in their heritage.

We also have an online shop at http://www.shop/sixtmedia.org.uk

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

John,

Just read the home page for the Bedlington Saxon entry.

Were Morpeth and Newbiggin settlements in 660AD?

I was about to write up a skit about Bedlington being the original settlement.

A few Picts came down to have a bit of a crack and stopped at the banks of the Wansbeck to get over their hangovers on their way back and stayed, making a Morpeth settlement. Blyth was just a place where Vikings could tie their boats up at and the females of that area could ply their trade in the huts which sprang up on what became the quayside. Ashington was a midden until full-scale coal production was started there and became the world's biggest pit village. Cramlington was and is just a 1960's town planner's wet dream!

That sort of thing but if we can't claim Bedders was the original settlement I might have to think up another angle!

John,

Just read the home page for the Bedlington Saxon entry.

Were Morpeth and Newbiggin settlements in 660AD?

I was about to write up a skit about Bedlington being the original settlement.

A few Picts came down to have a bit of a crack and stopped at the banks of the Wansbeck to get over their hangovers on their way back and stayed, making a Morpeth settlement. Blyth was just a place where Vikings could tie their boats up at and the females of that area could ply their trade in the huts which sprang up on what became the quayside. Ashington was a midden until full-scale coal production was started there and became the world's biggest pit village. Cramlington was and is just a 1960's town planner's wet dream!

That sort of thing but if we can't claim Bedders was the original settlement I might have to think up another angle!

Morpeth was, Newbiggin was not . i will hunt some info out and post it for you.

Morpeth began its settlement at the top of the hill near to the castle beide High Church. The settlement then moved north of the River Wansbeck and that is where Morpeth town centre is today.

if my memory is right i believe Mitford was an even older settlement than Morpeth and its only about 2 to 3 miles away.

Newbiggin is not mentioned until King Ceolwulph who was the 22nd King of Northumbria he reigned from 731 to 737.

thanks for your comment. hope you enjoy it as much as i do too. Great stuff coming soon. "Our Colliery Villages" Its all about a representative that got a job in 1901 to go around the colliery villages of Northumberland & Durham. It will give you all an insight into what it was actually like in those days over 110 years ago. Just thinking now, how times have certainly changed.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now