Name This Car

Wrong initial merc......

BTW, you were on full tilt last Thursday evening weren't you? :D

Thursday is always a bit of a blow out for me, Malcolm!

• 1 month later...

Is it a Citroen Diane?

I once did a clutch on one of these and I had to take the front wings off and then the engine out.

Isn't the suspension oil filled tubes.....makes going aorund corners something of an art!

French version of a Beetle. Had to be able to transport livestock over a ploughed field while the farmer driver drank a bottle of vino!

Is it a Citroen Diane?

I once did a clutch on one of these and I had to take the front wings off and then the engine out.

Isn't the suspension oil filled tubes.....makes going aorund corners something of an art!

French version of a Beetle. Had to be able to transport livestock over a ploughed field while the farmer driver drank a bottle of vino!

I think they had the same suspension as a silvercross pram !!. My mate had a one when we were students at Kirkley Hall in the 70's. You could imagine thrashing one of those things around on the roads near there, how it didn't tip over I do not know. We learned to flick the steering wheel the opposite way to the bend just before we whent round it, this set the suspension going the same way as the bend. There were times we thought we might fall out of the bloody thing when we had the roof rolled back.

My mate had one and swore by it, especially in the winter. I am sure he filled the suspension tubes underneath with old engine oil?

Design brief was for a car that could cross a ploughed field with a basket of eggs on the seat and not break any. French peasants!

The one I worked on belonged to a French student teacher who worked at St Bennies. She drove the thing from Normandy at about 30MPH because of a slipping clutch and had a biro stuck in the broken off mount to replace the indictor switch. The whole thing was held together with blue tack and elastic bands!

(BTW Keef1 your favourite subject came up last night at the NCC meeting. Don't think any of them are in any doubt about the strength of feeling……………..)

• 4 months later...

A lad called Ernie Middleton,[i worked with him at the Aad Pit at Bedltn,in the mid-'60's],had a Bond Bug,and if a can mind reet,he smashed it up....in his words......"daeing ninety"......!!!!!!!!

Canny lad Ernie,a wonder if he is still knocking aroond.....

....if ya theor Ernie,wi a nom-de plume,correct me if aam wrang wi me musings!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now