Earthquake In Northumberland?!

Brett

I was sitting at work today just after 3 o'clock and I heard what sounded like the Search & Rescue helicopter landing outside the building but there was no sound of engines or rotary blades prior to this.

I went out of the fire door to see if the Sea King was landing nearby but I could not see the it anywhere. I was really confused and never thought anything about it.

Apparently there reports throughout Tyne & Wear and Northumberland of an earthquake feeling.

According to the British Geological Society (BGS) there were reports from the media and the police regarding what people thought was an earthquake.

Data from the BGS seismic networks in the region were examined and signals consistent with a possible sonic origin were recorded at around 15:13/15:14

Source -
http://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

Also picked up by the media.

Daily Mail

Seems a bit strange that this is being regarded as a sonic boom from two RAF jets in the area but there were reports from such an expansive area at around the same time.

east_coast_sonic_12_jan_2012_seis.jpg

The observations received are similar to those which have been received previously for sonic boom. RAF Kinloss were contacted and have advised that there were two military jets on exercise in the area at the time.'

article-2085847-0F6FA2AB00000578-693_468x699.jpg

Anyone else feel it?

Edited by Brettly

What happens when you live in/near a military playground.

Going way back I have two or three recollections. Fortunately they were "near misses"; else you wouldn't be reading this, and the taxpayer would be out a few more tens of millions! :D

Typhoon?! It will never replace the Hurricane! ;)

hawker-typhoon-ib.jpg

Maybe they meant a Eurofighter Typhoon? In which case it has probably just lost its AAA rating! :D

• 1 year later...

Strangely while working in the garden 'West Bedlington' my husband heard a series of loud bangs.

OK it could be the opencast, but it sounded nearer.

Anyone any idea what they are doing in the middle of the Bedlington Lane Farm.

From both roads particularly if your on the bus it looks like drilling or worse.

Surely they have dug out all the coal.

Hopefully we are not in line for Fracking!

I am trying to catch up on old posts.

Basically 'Spoaching'

I reported hearing a noise end of last year if you recall - 10th October. Brett said his wife had heard it too. Something is going on and they ain't telling us about it. I posted it as a new topic in - CHAT CENTRAL - STRANGE SOUNDS.

Edited by keith lockey

It probably the pointy heads doing some Seismology. They'll be using explosive charges to create seismic waves which travel through the earth which are then bounced back toward the source by the different underground layers ... sort of mapping what's below. Yep, they could be looking for gas, oil or other minerals .... Bedders the new Klondike!

Or, it could have something to do with looking for somewhere to put all that nuclear waste now that Cumberland County Council have told Windscale they don't want it ... Bedders seen from deep space glowing at night.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now