What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Brett

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this vinyl you speak of Malcolm?

Don't be facetious you young whippersnapper!

Back in the days of Yore, when men were men and sheep were frightened, there was a black plastic disc with undulations for a needle to run on. By a series of magical incantations it was possible to get sound out of this set up, which was called a gramophone. It did have to be in a sterile environment or fluff would build up on said needle and distort any sound which was produced. Also there was a need for everyone listening to it to be completely still or a much dreaded scratch might ensue and that could completely destroy the disc. These were originally all large discs but the popularity of certain beat combo bands and the gullibility of the general public meant much moolas could be made by unscrupulous alchemists who started producing smaller discs with only two songs on. These were rated A and B and spawned a whole new industry.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone, just joined this month. Pleased to see some Floyd fans about. I have just posted something on The Wall section. I am one of these sad people who still has locked away in the music vaults my treasued vinyl collection. Guarded by the minefields in the drive and the cold electronic eye. I'm a Moody Blues fan - circa late sixties until they split up, now they are a bit ify. But I noticed Mick Ronson up there - me and my bro went to see him at the City Hall in the seventies. Awesome guitarist, sadly missed. I have both Slaughter and Play Don't Worry - yes vinyl! Great to see High Hopes, too. brilliant. I will be checking this site more often. Keith.

• 2 months later...

Brubeck was a pioneer for jazz music. He was one of the first artists to deviate from the 4/4 time with this one being named after the 5/4 time (Take Five) it was written in.

You also don't get many people like Paul Desmond in any industry anymore.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now