Sweet Shops Selling Tabs To School Kids

mickypotts

Does anyone remember the sweet shop at the top end across from the wharton that sold tabs loose for I think tuppence a piece for a players No. 6 then you would become a member of the smokers club behind the gym at westridge, Danny Douglas would always have his list of culprits show their hands for nicotine stains...... brings back the old adage " oh howay man gis a drag!!!!

I never remember Binks shop next to Whitley memorial selling tabs to kids though, any one else know of these cancer causing sweet shops??

Yep, I remember it well ... wasn't the shop called Adamson's? I was a Woodbine man (boy!!) but when flush with funds would buy a packet of 5 snouts - skinny little version of the full-size pack complete with all the same packet graphics. Our smokers' corner was behind the PE store, a hut sited beyond the Youth Centre on the track towards the Catha school (PC apology ... but that's what we called it back in the day); Danny usually couldn't creep-up on us 'cos we had good sight lines, however one day he came up on us from behind, from the direction of the Catha school, and bagged us all. He made us chuck all our supplies on the ground and "dance" on them.

Another wheeze was crowding (with 1st year kids) the travelling shop when it arrived at breaktime then us big lads would nick packets of biscuits off the racks; the bloke never spotted us. I've loved chocolate digestives to this day!

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy Adamson owned the shop, I always called in there on me way home. His brother was Jimmy Adamson Manager of Burnley about 1964 ? When we played football for the school Tommy always asked how we got on "Brilliant Bloke"

As we got older and started to go across the road to the Wharton there was Derek ???????????? who was goal keeper with Sheffield Wednesday anyone know his surname please he would take us Sunday mornings training on the beach at Blyth another "Brilliant Bloke"

Tommy Adamson owned the shop, I always called in there on me way home. His brother was Jimmy Adamson Manager of Burnley about 1964 ? When we played football for the school Tommy always asked how we got on "Brilliant Bloke"

As we got older and started to go across the road to the Wharton there was Derek ???????????? who was goal keeper with Sheffield Wednesday anyone know his surname please he would take us Sunday mornings training on the beach at Blyth another "Brilliant Bloke"

Goodfellow was his surname,always parked his top of the range Ford Zephyr opposite the pub next to the old top club.

Edited by foxy

It was owned by a man called Cooper who I think was a member of the showmans Guild.

Clarence Cooper, he had the prize bingo in the station between the Chinese and the snooker club. They lived in the houses alongside the 20 acre. My parents whent to the daughters wedding (Anne) the reception was at the Gosforth Park hotel. The place was was packed with showmen and their families who had travelled from all over the world. Apparrently he was a smashing bloke with no airs and graces, my mam worked at the prize bingo and all the staff and husbands were invited.

• 2 weeks later...

Clarence Cooper, he had the prize bingo in the station between the Chinese and the snooker club. They lived in the houses alongside the 20 acre. My parents whent to the daughters wedding (Anne) the reception was at the Gosforth Park hotel. The place was was packed with showmen and their families who had travelled from all over the world. Apparrently he was a smashing bloke with no airs and graces, my mam worked at the prize bingo and all the staff and husbands were invited.

Can only but agree. Great chap; at his house at Hotspur Avenue many times in the late 70's, and he was always hospitable. For the record he was responsible for building what is now the Music Shop on Front Street East, and I think had a bingo place at Newbiggin too.

Seem to remember that it was near impossible to get them to say their house number, because it was in fact number ...! :)

• 1 month later...

Yep, I remember it well ... wasn't the shop called Adamson's? I was a Woodbine man (boy!!) but when flush with funds would buy a packet of 5 snouts - skinny little version of the full-size pack complete with all the same packet graphics. Our smokers' corner was behind the PE store, a hut sited beyond the Youth Centre on the track towards the Catha school (PC apology ... but that's what we called it back in the day); Danny usually couldn't creep-up on us 'cos we had good sight lines, however one day he came up on us from behind, from the direction of the Catha school, and bagged us all. He made us chuck all our supplies on the ground and "dance" on them.

Another wheeze was crowding (with 1st year kids) the travelling shop when it arrived at breaktime then us big lads would nick packets of biscuits off the racks; the bloke never spotted us. I've loved chocolate digestives to this day!

If you were at Westridge 62 to 67 then I will know you, but I believe you live abroad now.

Orl - send me a personal message (via the Forum's Personal Message service in your account area) for a swap of details; confidentiality assured.

I think I have sent you a personal message (I'm new to this forum stuff). Will only know when I hear back from you. If you dont get one post on forum to let me kmow.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now