St Cuthberts......

Vic,

Evan Martin was a well-known and respected local historian. I believe he was a teacher in his working life, with a side line in antiques. He had many books published chronicling our locality in terms of social and economic history. Sadly he died earlier this year and his wife gave Barry Mead, another well know local history buff, his pictorial archives which contain many hundreds of unidentified local photographs. Barry wants to identify as many as possible and has them on tables down at St Cuthbert's today for as many people as possible to sort through and help with the identifications.

There was a very good turn out when I was there this morning and let's hope a good load of the pictures were catalogued. I will ask Barry if he has any which might be posted up on this site and let anyone interested have a go at the identification.

There were working pictures, sporting pictures, landscapes, school pictures and family pictures and by the way there were probably thousands of them!

Thank you Malcolm, To often we forget to document our history then all of a sudden it's too late! even the tales from our parents and grandparents get passed around verbally then they are gone! just think of the changes our grandparents saw and lived!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now