Market Tavern.. Car Park

normaL

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the clamping scam, the Sun Inn are doing it too.

didn't charge for parking when i ran the sun

hes called derek perry and he dont take no s**t!! meals going really well, daytime trade is better than ever!!! :)

now now bubbles i keep telling you not to upset people mind me thinks it beats throwing tables and chairs at people lol

the answer is to boycott pubs that employ clamper.

Definately! (don't know how long I'll last though!)

But surely if trade is up you shouldn't need such a snidey scheme. I think it stinks. It stinks of poo.

Trade will not be getting better cos the pub's clamping people!!!!

yeah but surely if youve got people parking in your car park that you own you have the right to employ someone like that??I know the sun has a big car park and people who never go in just use it for convenience even though theres 2 little car parks behind the blue bell and a massive one behind somerfield.how lazy are bedlingtons people these days??I say pedestrianize bedlington front street that would be good althought it would never happen :)

yeah but surely if youve got people parking in your car park that you own you have the right to employ someone like that??I know the sun has a big car park and people who never go in just use it for convenience even though theres 2 little car parks behind the blue bell and a massive one behind somerfield.how lazy are bedlingtons people these days??I say pedestrianize bedlington front street that would be good althought it would never happen :)

well, i have to admit, on at least 3 occasions i have considered popping in to see if any 'old friends' were in the bar (tavern), once in fact tonight, but i have refrained, as it would mean parking in the car park, and i dont really want anyone touching my car while i'm in there, even if they do remove the boot once i've 'validated' my visit. as for limits, do you(the tavern) have a clear limit marked, where 'beyond this exact point cars will be clamped'? or is it just 'anywhere on moyyyyy laaaaarnd'?

in short, it has kept both myself and miss darn from your establishment for a quick bite to eat, as i can park no problem, and without worry of anyone clamping me, anywhere else that serves food in bedlington.

quote]in short, it has kept both myself and miss darn from your establishment for a quick bite to eat, as i can park no problem, and without worry of anyone clamping me, anywhere else that serves food in bedlington.

Hear Hear!.

The same can be said for me and mrs wanderer.

Having read another thread on the board I think it will prob be the ridge farm the next time i feel a little peckish!

Guest missvic
I say pedestrianize bedlington front street that would be good althought it would never happen :)

pedestrianize the front street?!

there was civil unrest when the first double yellow lines went down (in the 70s?) it's not worth the risk of it happening again!

there was civil unrest when the first double yellow lines went down (in the 70s?) it's not worth the risk of it happening again!

Point of order missvic,

WDC have always wanted to pedestrianise Front Steet at least from the Market place up over but it meant cars having to drive though the likes of Windsor Gardens etc. One epic plan was to put a new road in adjacent to the golf course on the grassy area until it was realsied that was not allowed by the covernents on that land!

As for the double yellows on Front Street, they were painted in over the course of a Sunday night! Shopkeepers arrived back at their shops on Monday morning to find they had no access or parking facilities. When WDC were tackled about the underhand way this had occured their responce was that 50 people, supposedly members of the public, had requested the double yellows over a course of time and that was all that was needed to make it happen?

Some form of temporary parking needs to be brought in to breath some life into the street but all the cries from the COT went unheard even though a petition was raised with 10 TIMES that amount of people signing it! WDC blamed the County and the County said it was down to WDC!

Barr lass, of course it's your right if you own a pub.

But for example, so is charging £5 entry fee.

Neither will make any friends I'm afraid.

It's giving the pub an image of being unapproachable.

(So do the police cars/riot vans ...I've only witnessed them once mind!)

Leicester City has pedestrianised zones except for buses, one of these areas being the clock tower. I catch the park and ride bus when I leave work at night, the bus stop is oppisit the clock tower in the pedestrianised zones. The fact that it is a pedestrianised zones means nothing to some car drivers as they still travel through the area as thought it is a public highway. I have even seen police park their car near the clock tower and thay do nothing when cars travel through the zone, so its a waste of time in Leicester. If they do it at Bedlington I hope that it works for you.

Leicester City has pedestrianised zones except for buses, one of these areas being the clock tower. I catch the park and ride bus when I leave work at night, the bus stop is oppisit the clock tower in the pedestrianised zones. The fact that it is a pedestrianised zones means nothing to some car drivers as they still travel through the area as thought it is a public highway. I have even seen police park their car near the clock tower and thay do nothing when cars travel through the zone, so its a waste of time in Leicester. If they do it at Bedlington I hope that it works for you.

Pete,

I can understand why some cities have pedestrian only roads but Bedlington is not one of them. It needs to retain a commercial heart to survive and as most people use their cars when shopping, and will not walk the few yards from very adaquet parking at the back of the buildings, there has to be some recognition of these shopping habits. It did seem a pretty straightforward solution to put in some chevron parking on one side of the street.

The trouble with Front Street development seems to be the ad hoc way it has been assessed over the years. Each trench of improvements has been done by itself as a stand alone excersise and not as some intigrated plan for the whole area. This will always present its own problems as the Front Street is so long.

Barr lass, of course it's your right if you own a pub.

But for example, so is charging £5 entry fee.

Neither will make any friends I'm afraid.

It's giving the pub an image of being unapproachable.

(So do the police cars/riot vans ...I've only witnessed them once mind!)

just want to say, you know how everyone goes on about how the market tavern never has anyone in and all that. well i just have to say ive now worked there for about 18 months my boss has owned the pub for 2 years we have another 4 members of staff and we have a karaoke on thurs nite, live music fri nite and sometimes sat nite so if there was never anyone in how could they possibly be making a profit??? anyone who runs a business will see that we are making money therefore we must have customers!!

just want to say, you know how everyone goes on about how the market tavern never has anyone in and all that. well i just have to say ive now worked there for about 18 months my boss has owned the pub for 2 years we have another 4 members of staff and we have a karaoke on thurs nite, live music fri nite and sometimes sat nite so if there was never anyone in how could they possibly be making a profit??? anyone who runs a business will see that we are making money therefore we must have customers!!

:rolleyes:

There was customers in the night I went in, not many but they were in there and the Guiness is excellent.

:D

Pete,

I can understand why some cities have pedestrian only roads but Bedlington is not one of them. It needs to retain a commercial heart to survive and as most people use their cars when shopping, and will not walk the few yards from very adaquet parking at the back of the buildings, there has to be some recognition of these shopping habits. It did seem a pretty straightforward solution to put in some chevron parking on one side of the street.

The trouble with Front Street development seems to be the ad hoc way it has been assessed over the years. Each trench of improvements has been done by itself as a stand alone excersise and not as some intigrated plan for the whole area. This will always present its own problems as the Front Street is so long.

Malcolm,

I do agree with you, another problem with pedestrian only roads is that people who come into the city and do shoping do not want to carry heavy stuff to the nearest car park. A lot of people avoid the city centre and shop at the out of town shoping complxes where it is easy to get to their car and there are no raod restictions.

Not being nasty! It's just what I've heard. Obviously my sources are unreliable. I just thought that the clamping was a way of boosting the old cash flow. I go in for a drink sometimes, it's the only pub in Bedlington with Raspberry Absolut Vodka! Go tavern.

Not being nasty! It's just what I've heard. Obviously my sources are unreliable. I just thought that the clamping was a way of boosting the old cash flow. I go in for a drink sometimes, it's the only pub in Bedlington with Raspberry Absolut Vodka! Go tavern.

I know that but just on about everyone in general. cant be anyway of boosting our cash flow as it is a company who approached us and asked if they could do it, we dont gain anything from it apart from having a clear car park for the draught and customers to be able to park in :)

Is Raspberry Absolut vodka good for washing down a large helping of humble pie, Ms Hair?

Just asking, like.

ooh how very dare you.

No my friend. I'm just voicing my opinion and making sure I see things from both sides. I still think the clamping is an unnecessary evil. (Esp by a certain pub that didn't actually have a parking problem to begin with, even during the good old busy years!)

ooh how very dare you.

No my friend. I'm just voicing my opinion and making sure I see things from both sides. I still think the clamping is an unnecessary evil. (Esp by a certain pub that didn't actually have a parking problem to begin with, even during the good old busy years!)

From my (Very long!) distance, the whole idea of allowing clamping as a business, is a new way of licensing grand theft. Probably some politician thought of it as a handy way to pay off his nefarious friends.

I don't think it happens in North America, I certainly hope not!

Guest missvic
cant be anyway of boosting our cash flow as it is a company who approached us and asked if they could do it, we dont gain anything from it

OOH! These aren't the rogue clampers that Lynn Foulds Wood perpetually warns about? I don't like the sound of these types at all. Bring back Angle Grinder Man. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm