Bedlington Heritage Fair

Merlin

Malcolm, this is on here due to the fact I cannot reply on the announcement page! First and foremost, Well done!

I was just wondering is this the outset for a full blown Bedlington Fair? If not would it not be possible to incorporate this into said fair? Many happy memories from my youth of such gatherings and it seems a shame that the youth of today are missing out on such memories. Where the people of the community could get together to celebrate the town and what it, is and was about. I am not being down beat on this venture of heritage but I think a lot is missing, but that's my view! Good luck and I hope that the day is a huge success.

Merlin,

I have made enquiries about running a Bedlington Fair, as was, and guess what your favourite bug bear raised its head straightaway, health and safety legislation! There is no chance a community group can get through that! So for the moment we have to work with what we have and at least we have this Heritage Day we can hang our hats on so let's make it as successful as possible.

It's all to do with the THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) and I think we should be thankful the lead officers are willing to promote Bedlington and its upgrades in this way, they don't have to!

Good luck for the Heritage Fair. I can appreciate the problems with H&S legislation but anything to help promote a sense of Community is worthwhile. Where I live now we have a carnival, music festival and regular events throughout the year involving all the community young and old and reminds me of my childhood in Bedlington.

I am back in the UK next week and hope to come and see my old mate Barry Mead give one of his fascinating talks.

Wilson

Bit of both Merlin!

I think we have the beginnings of several exciting initiatives in the Town and if only one or two come off then we are that much better off. The thing is the community has to get behind them and if that means doing a bit of volunteering, buying a ticket or taking part it’s a small individual price to pay to drag the Town into the 21st century and show the rest of the county we want something better for our Town.

I think so too keith.

If Brian and Vic read this they might like to print out the PDF’s and put them up in their respective community centres or whatever?

In fact if they PM me with address I will send them the proper leaflets……..

If we are still on for that drink soon Brian I can give you one then?

Look forward to the drink Malcolm and picking up one of those PDF's from you.......

I want to use this guide to promote the Town so what about a competition to see the most innovative place we can get one displayed?

I will be sending the second one, especially, to people I know all over the world and asking them to print it out and put it up somewhere then take a picture of it. We can then post the pictures to this thread.

Bottle of plonk to the best one!

I was one of the people that started the last bedlington fair & i would love to see it return I would like to know how ashington still can hold the street fair but HSE put so many rules & regulations in our way & we had to stop it. and the police wanted a lot of money to police it

Hi millie,

I know what you mean! We wanted to put on something like a ‘family day at the park’ with barbecue and local talent providing the entertainment, probably down at Atlee Park because there are toilets, a stage and power there. Should have been a good precursor to see how a full blown Bedlington Fair Day might have been received. The rules and regulations we were hit with had to be seen to be believed and each bit carried a cost. I don’t know how any community group can get around them but there must be a way because I go to and see events which obviously haven’t done or got the stuff in place which had been stipulated for us to do?

If it was Muslim Day, Gay rights day, Bin Laden 'Bomb every white man day' or Shag the Cabbage day HSE would dive for cover and allow these people to get on with it because they can't go against the PC brigade or the F.....G DO-F.....G-GOODERS! But when ordinary people want to help others to have a bit of fun on ONE day of the year, they are there, rearing their ugly heads. FFS! Get these people HERE to tell us to our faces, WHY we can't get on with having a bit of fun, have some happiness and create memories for our children! I could not tire of kicking these people, who are they anyway? Do they have a life? Am booncin on me chair, let me meet these people, PLEASE PLEASE let me meet these people, I have got to meet these people! Let them tell me to my face why we are NOT allowed to enjoy ourselves unless we have some perverse ideas for a 'FAMILY' day out!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Foxy, that might have induced another one of Merlin’s most loved quangos, the Race Relations Board!

With travellers now invoking UN anti ethnic cleansing clauses in a bid to stop them being moved on maybe it’s time the sane majority invoked some of their own too and got rid of the worst excesses of Political Correctness with a lot of HSE top of the list!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now