Bedlington Station

Got a txt at work today from a mate 'Don't worry, there's been no riots in Bedlington! It's always looked like that!' :dribble: :dribble:

You're right Merlin, the thing is you should be able to see for yourself instead of relying on texts. The schools are on holiday, which means you can get out of your back lane. :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by keith

i lived at the station from 1952 till 1970 i have got to say then it was clean and tidy and i enjoyed every moment of it.

Don't know how you can say that it was clean and tidy then Beddie, not with a great big pit there at that time, but I'm sure we all know what you mean though. I don't know where you are now but to be honest mate if you had a look at the station in its current state, I don't think you will be overly impressesd with it. To answer your earlier question, I would have thought that the Percy Arms may have been called the High House, locally, because it is further up the road, from the other pubs, away from the the Station, towards Bedlington

Don't know how you can say that it was clean and tidy then Beddie, not with a great big pit there at that time, but I'm sure we all know what you mean though. I don't know where you are now but to be honest mate if you had a look at the station in its current state, I don't think you will be overly impressesd with it. To answer your earlier question, I would have thought that the Percy Arms may have been called the High House, locally, because it is further up the road, from the other pubs, away from the the Station, towards Bedlington

i will go along with what you said about the percy arms being further up the road than the other pubs ,thank you .

I agree the station looks a bit of a state, we stopped there recently on a part of our 200 mile coast & castles charity bike ride as its on the official sustrains route, we parked our support vehicle and cyclists behind the medical centre which resembled a scene from beirut with properties smashed to bits and litter thrown all over the place (including the med centre roof)!. hopefully the train lines will get re-opened and bring some much needed investment into the area along with shares of the "County" spoils that have recently been poured into Blyth, Morpeth etc. The Sustrans Coast & Castles route is a huge draw of people from outside the area as it is a popular route and regularly cycled by several groups and the station is one of about five locations that needs regeneration. However I would like to add that the butty shop coped with 15 of us extremely well and served up some cracking sarnies!

Edited by toffo

I agree the station looks a bit of a state, we stopped there recently on a part of our 200 mile coast & castles charity bike ride as its on the official sustrains route, we parked our support vehicle and cyclists behind the medical centre which resembled a scene from beirut with properties smashed to bits and litter thrown all over the place (including the med centre roof)!. hopefully the train lines will get re-opened and bring some much needed investment into the area along with shares of the "County" spoils that have recently been poured into Blyth, Morpeth etc. The Sustrans Coast & Castles route is a huge draw of people from outside the area as it is a popular route and regularly cycled by several groups and the station is one of about five locations that needs regeneration. However I would like to add that the butty shop coped with 15 of us extremely well and served up some cracking sarnies!

I can vouch for the butty shop, was there today and the belly buster was just what I needed after getting absolutely soaked.

i am ashamed to read what has happend to the station and shame on the people that have got it in this state.

As you say Toffo the coast and castles route is a huge draw for people from outside the area, we want them to keep coming. First impressions are important to how people re-act. We do not want people to go away and tell their mates to avoid Bedlington stn. You said you enjoyed being fed at the butty shop, good, the proprietors would have welcomed youre business [as long as youre rubbish was disposed of properly, which I am sure it was]. The area you mention is popular with the kids from the high school, where they eat their lunches bought in the local takeaways, as you may have noticed.

As you say Toffo the coast and castles route is a huge draw for people from outside the area, we want them to keep coming. First impressions are important to how people re-act. We do not want people to go away and tell their mates to avoid Bedlington stn. You said you enjoyed being fed at the butty shop, good, the proprietors would have welcomed youre business [as long as youre rubbish was disposed of properly, which I am sure it was]. The area you mention is popular with the kids from the high school, where they eat their lunches bought in the local takeaways, as you may have noticed.

Keith

The cycle routes in and around Norhtumberland are something that could be capitalised on by all, the Station needs tidying up to be honest as it doesnt come across as cyclist friendly (no secure racks, poor signage etc) as for the litter maybe liaison with the school is required? Cycling is becoming more and more popular and the benefits for the community are obvious especially as Bedlington Station is on the NCN Route 1. Hopefully the Station gets the money needed and brings some much needed support into the community.

Keith

The cycle routes in and around Norhtumberland are something that could be capitalised on by all, the Station needs tidying up to be honest as it doesnt come across as cyclist friendly (no secure racks, poor signage etc) as for the litter maybe liaison with the school is required? Cycling is becoming more and more popular and the benefits for the community are obvious especially as Bedlington Station is on the NCN Route 1. Hopefully the Station gets the money needed and brings some much needed support into the community.

It may get the money Toffo, but the thing is, where will the money be spent?. Will the Station even get a sniff of the dosh?. Well, I don't think anyone should hold their breath waiting for a shower of cash to hit this part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

carrying on with the state of the station whats wrong with having a coat of white paint on the railway tavern as this looks a proper eyesore if there ever was one. We've got three pubs and none of them have a decent appearance on the outside never mind the inside so they are letting the station down big style.

carrying on with the state of the station whats wrong with having a coat of white paint on the railway tavern as this looks a proper eyesore if there ever was one. We've got three pubs and none of them have a decent appearance on the outside never mind the inside so they are letting the station down big style.

I don't think the outside of that pub has been looked after properly since Pub Master took over from Vaux. Just ask Mick, the landlord. If you look nearly all the window frames are rotten as well.

I meant it's a bit like a McDonalds Drive Thru, you stop, order, pay and drive away with ya Kebab, pizza, Indians, fish'n'chips or bacon butty! ;)

Sounds good to me Merlin !!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just tried to sign the Metro petition and it's closed! Had I (and hundreds of others) known about it through wider advertising, you can bet it would have been more successful.

On which topic, the same can be said for last week's Heritage Open Day(s) and Portrait Bench unveiling in Gallagher Park. The former were said to have been a success (thanks more to St Cuthberts' own poster campaign then anything, I suspect), but the latter was attended only by those few directly involved in the event itself; members of the general public were largely unaware of what was happening (probably still are), yet they are the ones who need to be drawn in.

Regeneration will never happen if initiatives are buried in - I'm sorry to say it - little-used web sites and the insides of a local paper.

I could go on, but won't.

I've just tried to sign the Metro petition and it's closed! Had I (and hundreds of others) known about it through wider advertising, you can bet it would have been more successful.

Subscribe to the calendar or the news feeds here and you (and hundreds of others) would have heard about those events instantaneously. The heritage day was advertised here in the news section, the journal and the news post leader as well as shop windows and through flyer distribution. Soon you'll also be able to tune into quality truly local radio. The tools are most certainly available if residents genuinely want to be notified about these events.

Regeneration will never happen if initiatives are buried in - I'm sorry to say it - little-used web sites and the insides of a local paper.

I could go on, but won't.

Please do, we might even start to get the message across!

Promoting the Gallagher Park ‘event’ was discussed at the prior meetings but for some reason relying on ‘word of mouth’ and jumping on the back of the Heritage Day promotion was deemed the way to handle the PR?

BTW, I believe the Metro extension petition is being heralded as a roaring success (for NCC e-petitions) given the numbers who signed up. I agree the numbers could have been multiplied many fold if it had been more generally known about.

I personally don't feel that the initiatives are buried anywhere P.A.W.S. If people were interested then there are plenty of places where information could be found out. The main problem is that people aren't interested enough to look for themselves.

Every time I walk up the street I look in the newsagents window, the adverts board in Tesco and other flyers dotted around passing by the shops and I have only lived in Bedlington 2 weeks, which is more than most people do but I am sure the people will come flooding when they hear the sound of trumpets.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now