Dr Pit Park

A Brief History of the Park

The site is named after the Doctor Pit which was sunk on land now known as Gallagher Park and adjoining new housing estates to the west of the park in the 1860's.

The park itself was established in the early 1930's on farmland which was purchased by the Bedlington Coal Company. The park provided recreational facilities for local miners and their families.

The park offered bowling, football and tennis as well as a play area and more formal gardens.

The Doctor Pit finally closed in 1967 when the management of the park was taken over by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO).

In the early 1970's the park was covenanted to Wansbeck District Council who undertook to maintain and manage the park "for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Urban District of Bedlingtonshire for recreational and sporting activitiesâ€

In April 2010 the management of the park passed to the unitary authority of Northumberland County Council.

Taken from here :D

• 11 years later...

@Malcolm Robinson - did you put together any info on the history of the park?

Yesterday this was posted on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group :- 

2118237998_BygoneBedlingtonFacebookgroup.thumb.png.7b13050bd9fdb5434e18fa4282c8e4aa.png

I have posted the above screen shot on the Facebook group - Past Times History and asked the admin = @johndawsonjune1955 if he has any info.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

2118237998_BygoneBedlingtonFacebookgroup.thumb.png.7b13050bd9fdb5434e18fa4282c8e4aa.png

I have posted the above screen shot on the Facebook group - Past Times History and asked the admin = @johndawsonjune1955 if he has any info.

Not Dr Pit Park Alan, sorry.  

On 10/08/2022 at 20:21, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

It would appear the Admin, or one of the Moderators, were not happy with my posting on the Past Times History Facebook group - my post has been deleted:(

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now