Olympics

Hmmm yes………

It's like all those TV shows where people say they did this and that to their houses, what they really mean is that they got someone to design it for them, someone else to build it for them and someone else to finish it off for them!

As for the Olympics we can't afford them, take a look at the Greek legacy……….

post-23-0-55118000-1311842742_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-94180400-1311842759_thumb.jpg

Couldn't agree more Malcolm.

On the news yesterday, broadcasting from the 'wonderful' new Aquatics Centre, they seemed very pleased to keep telling me it cost £269,000,000 (written in figures to emphasise) to build. Surely there are international spec swimming pools already in this country? Surely, I would have thought, there is one in London, somewhere? £269,000,000 is, I remind you, just for the Aquatics Centre. What's the total bill? How are they going to recoup it? I didn't agree to paying for it, can I have my share back?

Originally estimated as costing £2.4 billion this is now up to £9.5B and rising. It's going to be £1 billion for security! Its will probably top £20B and that's off people who should know!

'' The former chairman of the Olympic Delivery Authority said it was clear from "very early on" that he was working to a budget of "well over £12billion". But Mr Lemley, who expects that figure to almost double because of problems with the land in Stratford, East London, claimed in an interview that he was banned from revealing the truth.''

The Aquatic centre………£269 million, lets judge it against other NON LONDON buildings!

Cardiff International Swimming Pool £30m!

Millennium Stadium, including the Walkway £130m

Cardiff City 27,000-seater stadium £55m

Swalec Test Match Cricket Stadium £12m

Leckwith Athletic Stadium £8m

International Whitewater Rafting Centre in the Bay £13m

The actual build costs to tax payers in these Cardiff based projects was probably around the order of £8-10M.

Originally estimated as costing £2.4 billion this is now up to £9.5B and rising. It's going to be £1 billion for security! Its will probably top £20B and that's off people who should know!

Do we actually have that sort of money to throw around? I must say when I watched the moment when London was awarded the Games I'm sure I heard a collective sigh of relief from the 'losing' candidates.

I would rather we had 'won' the football bids..............

Yes as we have the capacity stadiums and it wouldn't cost anything to host the football. But obviously Qatar makes more sense.

I have no interest in the Olympics. Host them all in Greece and feed the losers to lions, it's only tradition and it would save us splashing cash we don't have.

I just read that FIFA told the Brazilians to build a venue to stage the World cup 2014 draw. This cost the Brazilian tax payers £18,000,000 for the 100 minute event. £180,000 per minute. £3,000 per second. Who can justify extravegance on that scale given the state of the world as it is at the moment.

Keith,

It seems to me that different governments have different priorities when it comes to wasting taxpayers money. Unfortunately our lot like setting off Bangers that cost a lot more than a penny in countries where there is lots of oil.

I just read that FIFA told the Brazilians to build a venue to stage the World cup 2014 draw. This cost the Brazilian tax payers £18,000,000 for the 100 minute event. £180,000 per minute. £3,000 per second. Who can justify extravegance on that scale given the state of the world as it is at the moment.

I would have bunged them in the conference suite at the Premier Inn or the equivalent over there.

Yes Mr FIFA, I will do as you say so that we can has some football

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody see Cameron taking the credit for the Olympic stadium being completed before schedule? I didn't realise he was such a good bricklayer, it certainly took the attention away from the phone twiddling activities of his corrupt circle of friends.

And now he's taking the credit for cutting the holiday short and stopping the riots .Apparantly the cops did nowt.

Edited by foxy

Interesting report just come out which says football fans spend 38% more than any other tourists. So for no real investment if we had the world cup instead of the Olympics we would have attracted the biggest leisure spenders.

Well would that not be dependant on what Qatar paid so we had to outbid them?

Well would that not be dependant on what Qatar paid so we had to outbid them?

It's a well known fact that outdoor air-con comes a lot cheaper in the UK. :D

BTW, I said here when we "won" the Oilypics that it was a disaster, and that the French would have the last laugh given the size of the looming economic disaster. Not sure how many members agreed then - but they sure do now! ;)

You can't blame Dave making political capital out of the completion even if there is mass amnesia as to the original figures. That's what p-oily-ticians do for a living. c.f. The Millennium Dome and the Mandelsonian/Prescott !*!@#-up! Anyway, Dave isn't likely to go as overboard as Teflon Tony at The Dome's opening ceremony: "In the Dome we have a creation that, I believe, will truly be a beacon to the world". :lol:

• 1 month later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now