Doctor Pit Park

Seems someone liked what they saw here.............well done to everyone involved.

http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/GreenFlag/GreenFlagAwardSites/NorthEast/Default.aspx?parkID=1232

Well Malcolm,

I'm certainly impressed with this article, who gets the credit for this? Surely it cannot be anyone from the Council, Lets hope it will bring some visitors into the town and then maybe we can compete with the numbers that visit Rothbury Lighthouse every year.

Edited by foxy

Foxy,

I am the first to complain about council complacency and inactivity but by the same token when we see examples of good practice I think we should applaud them. OK maybe it's just what they should be doing anyway but at a time when budgets are being decimated and moral must be low, seeing any standards improve in Bedders is to be welcomed.

I am working with several NCC officers at the moment and I have to say I find their attitudes refreshing and professional and I believe they are genuine in their attempts to help us finally address the inequalities we all feel Bedlington has suffered from for years.

• Like 1

Well Malcolm,

I'm certainly impressed with this article, who gets the credit for this? Surely it cannot be anyone from the Council, Lets hope it will bring some visitors into the town and then maybe we can compete with the numbers that visit Rothbury Lighthouse every year.

....... or with those who attend the Haltwhistle lifeboat open day

Edited by keith

Foxy,

I am the first to complain about council complacency and inactivity but by the same token when we see examples of good practice I think we should applaud them. OK maybe it's just what they should be doing anyway but at a time when budgets are being decimated and moral must be low, seeing any standards improve in Bedders is to be welcomed.

I am working with several NCC officers at the moment and I have to say I find their attitudes refreshing and professional and I believe they are genuine in their attempts to help us finally address the inequalities we all feel Bedlington has suffered from for years.

OK Malcolm,

I agree with your first comment, and yes we should applaud anyone who does anything that improves standards in the Town, whoever is responsible for the park should be given all the credit he/she deserves. I'm confused wih The second statement, , The front street of our town has developed into an area no better than an African Township. We've got two slums in the heart of the town and the owners of both have stuffed the council in more ways than one, how long does it take to get bus shelter windows replaced in Bedlington compared to other areas in the County. The Community Centre is now closed and there seems to be no rush to do anything about that,they could'nt manage the Golf Club, there's been irregularities with their pension scheme and the list of not done's is endless. I havn't seen the refreshing professional genuine attitudes yet but look forward to it for the sake of the Town.

• Like 1

Went to Dr Pit park on Saturday afternoon with my two small grand daughters, there were quite a few people using the facilities, bowling, kids on skatedoards, football game going on, and a few kids on the swings etc i did think that as we are now well under way with the summer holidays the paddling pool would have had some water in for the kids to splash around in!!

anyone know the reason why it is not filled?

Also, while i took drinks and fruit with me it would be nice if there was some kind of kiosk selling drinks, snacks and ice-creams.

Went to Dr Pit park on Saturday afternoon with my two small grand daughters, there were quite a few people using the facilities, bowling, kids on skatedoards, football game going on, and a few kids on the swings etc i did think that as we are now well under way with the summer holidays the paddling pool would have had some water in for the kids to splash around in!!

anyone know the reason why it is not filled?

Merlin's right it is a health and safety issue...........

Merlin's right it is a health and safety issue...........

Pft!!

Malcolm..........what's the health and safety issue?

:wtf: I can't remember there being any issues when i took my daughter and son there to play when they were young

Charlie,

The officer I asked was just as frustrated as anyone else but these days there can only be water in if there is a lifeguard present all the time.

I must admit I agree with Charlie on this one, parents should be responsible for looking after their own kids in the park. But we do live in a "where theres blame, theres a claim" society. Was there not a child who drowned there [or in another council owned paddling pool] or seriously injured a few years ago? I do know there was an issue with broken glass in the pool at one time.

.... but these days there can only be water in if there is a lifeguard present all the time.

Then there is no longer an issue with a lack of jobs in bedlington...

i can think of at least 3 potholes that will require a round the clock lifeguard.....:whistle:

Sadly there would seem to be valid reasons..........

http://uk.news.yahoo...-180826444.html

Personally i would not call that a valid reason. There are plenty of unmanned bodies of water in the form of rivers, the sea, lakes etc. a child can even drown in a bathtub!

Not filling a paddling pool in a park is a step too far in my eyes. Children young enough to be in danger should be with parents or guardians anyway. Older children should be able to get themselves out easily enough.

I really do not want to bring this up, for fear of starting something i don't mean too, but the skate parks that have popped up all over the place ar FAR more dangerous than a pool of water.

How there has not been a serious accident in these parks yet i'll never know. its all steel edges and slippery slopes, and none of the kids wear helmets!

My point is, if thats fine to leave unmanned, why is a paddling pool such an issue?

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now