Stoker Family

Recently stayed in a French village called Neuvilette. We met a French gentleman called Yves who told us about a Private Thomas Joseph Stoker who carved his name on the back of the village church while billetted in the village. He was killed on 3rd May 1917 at Arras, aged 41. We managed to find out a bit more about Thomas and his family from several censuses - he was the son of Robert and Margaret Stoker and had 4 sisters (Isabella and Johanna - don't know the names of the other two). He was married to Jane Thymne Stoker and lived at Vulcan Place, Bedlington. He may not of had any children but his sisters may of?

Yves would like to get in touch with any of Thomas's relatives - the carving has intrigued him for many years - which is why we decided to try and help him.

Look forward to any answers

Louise

post-2804-0-40110600-1309206328_thumb.jp

Recently stayed in a French village called Neuvilette. We met a French gentleman called Yves who told us about a Private Thomas Joseph Stoker who carved his name on the back of the village church while billetted in the village. He was killed on 3rd May 1917 at Arras, aged 41. We managed to find out a bit more about Thomas and his family from several censuses - he was the son of Robert and Margaret Stoker and had 4 sisters (Isabella and Johanna - don't know the names of the other two). He was married to Jane Thymne Stoker and lived at Vulcan Place, Bedlington. He may not of had any children but his sisters may of?

Yves would like to get in touch with any of Thomas's relatives - the carving has intrigued him for many years - which is why we decided to try and help him.

Louise

Hello Louise, I vaguely remember a Colin Stoker at Westridge in 1968-69, My cousin Malcolmn Henderson lived on Vulcan Place then right next to the sweet shop, he,s in Blyth now I think, is there a way to look up school records from back then and find out where Colin lived? good Luck

• 6 months later...

Louise

I know this story. i will check the groups archives. We also did a series of books "Tales From The Frontline" Not available in print now tho, and i am sure i have seen something about him. Ill get Mark to check it out for you and hopefully good news for you.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now