Play Major Retailers At Their Own Game

http://www.bankrate....tell-you-1.aspx

..and remember, always turn left(ish) and head towards the back of the store without stopping to look at anything! :D

I saw a documentary a few years ago, which was all about this carry on, very informative it was too.

Boots are one of the worst companys exploiting folk, Buy one get one free..look for the green sticker..aye right! The same item can be bought 2 stores down for the actual retail price, which turns out to be half the `original` price that Boots state anyway! Lot`s of the shops do this, especially at Xmas.

The worst case of this happening in Bedlington, was Safeway. They always had `deals` on, placed right at the first place your eyes focused on. Normally `fresh` chickens. `Todays special, half price chicken, buy one get one free`..their normal price for a chicken was something like £7.99. i kid you not! Then they had the cheek to make out you were getting a bargain and they were doing you a favour if you bought 2 chickens for £7.99..they were basically selling two proper priced chickens at the going rate. Money in their pocket! Some folk are MUGS!

On page 6 of that article about making it difficult to get the bargains in the clearance rail is spot on. They mix everything up `Retailers know shoppers want to easily find the size, price and item neatly displayed. So they purposely create the frustration of the poorly marked and poorly organized clearance area to tempt you toward the beautifully displayed and perfectly organized full-price merchandise`

Asda is one of the worst for this! Plus, they`ve hiked the prices up anyway, so even if you manage to find a `bargain`, you can guarantee it`s nothing more than last years stock they couldn`t get rid of, with an extra couple of quid thrown on!

As for the advice for turning `leftish`, i already do this when i see a scam..i turn `leftish` and straight back out the door :D

I remember reading somewhere that Asda created the smell of freshly baked bread in there stores to encourage customers to buy bread from their bakery counter. This being the case, then we can only assume that the now closed Netto were trying to promote the sale of toilet rolls in their store.

Edited by foxy

I remember reading somewhere that Asda created the smell of freshly baked bread in there stores to encourage customers to buy bread from their bakery counter.

Ikea do this too with the restaurant sited within smelling distance of the kitchen section.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now