Is it a phone, or is it a tablet?

threegee

A real product or another "concept device"? Well it is an Asus, and presumably it (they) run Android.

asus-padfone.jpg

Defo a really really thin netbook coming real soon from Asus though. I presume this will have an Atom 550 dual core CPU, and be overpriced by £100 at UK launch - like most Asus devices seem to be these days.

Defo a really really thin netbook coming real soon from Asus though. I presume this will have an Atom 550 dual core CPU, and be overpriced by £100 at UK launch - like most Asus devices seem to be these days.

Well how wrong can you be??! :D It isn't going to use a 550, but a new Atom chip(set) that's aimed at the the ARM CPU market. And, it is going to be cheap cheap cheap at under $200 U.S. What's more the sub-$200 base product will be shipped with... wait for it.... MeeGo! :D

So, a super thin netbook that weighs usefully under 1Kg; the most popular 10" screen size - so no compromises there then; and a fair bit more power than an ARM tablet - even the newer dual core ARM chips; plus near instant on with a decent OS booting out of ROM. Put that all together with the lack of overhead from a Java machine (c.f. Android); the ability to fit a HD and dual-boot Windoze; stir in the slimness of a Macbook Air(head) - but don't lose too many port connectors and hopefully a proper clip-in battery, and an ultra big track pad that's going to much better at point 'n' shoot than a low-precision pinkie on a capacitive screen. What do you have? A huge seller, and a real commercial winner! :) Likely the average person's first intro to MeeGo! (and, you thought I'd been droning on all this time about something which was never going to touch your life?). A return to the low-cost era which made the original EEE PC such a commercial success, and well timed for recessionary times too.

Translate $US into £UK? Umm... don't thing they are going to quite get away with that, despite the UK VAT man. Anyway, my 200 minus one smackers are on the table anyway; when can I have one?

ASUS_X101.jpg

If that doesn't look particularly cool to you just wait until you actually have one in your hand? £600 quid for an ARM powered tablet?! Think that more-money-than-sense market just hit the buffers folks! :(

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now