Charlton Family Tree

ali6174

hi,im tracing my Charlton family tree and would appreciate any help anyone has

ive traced my tree back to 1698 and right up to the 1960's my ancesters have lived at Bedlington.

their are so many names i could give but one of my main ancesters is my great,great grandad Thomas Charlton born 1807/1808 in Bedlington and died 1884 and buried at st cutheberts.census records shows 1861,1871,1881 living at the market place (opposite the church) which i believe now is a chemist,i also believe he had the premises round the back because he was a carpenter.

my grandad (george trevor charlton) left Bedlington in the 1960's with my gran (isabella 'betty' Charlton nee Oliver) and my dad (Alan) and uncle (David)

any help anyone has will be very much appreciated

thanks

ali

Edited by ali6174

Hello Ali,

I don't have any info on the Charltons but below is a photo of the chemist opposite St. Cuthberts Church

http://www.bedlingto...llery&image=281

That's the one Fourgee; formerly Hay's the Chemist (as opposed to "the top[end] chemist" which was Binks). Unfortunately it's off Cympil's picture at the right, but we must have a really old picture of the Vulcan Place / Marketplace corner somewhere.

Betty Charlton / Oliver was definately very well known to our family, as I wouldn't remember the name unless it had been repeated many times. Unfortunately I can't fill in any of the details - it was one of those many things that as a kid you don't connect with, so just becomes part of the background noise. Pity you didn't post this in the 1980's! ;)

The Olivers (and I'm assuming here the same Olivers) were good friends of Dr. Brown's family, and I remember Eileen Brown often inviting them over to Horton Road.

There is another photo of Cympil's in the gallery of Bedlington Market place and Dr. Pit. It looks as if it has been taken from the church tower? and is a bit closer to the chemists than the one posted above. Our house is behind Johnsons shoe shop [the one with the two awnings] and the shop next to it which became Carricks the bakers. The chemists shop [or what would become the chemist] can just be seen in the bottom right hand corner. Could the joiners workshop have been where the estate agent is now on vulcan place right behind the chemist? There was access round the back to the slaughter house between there and Orange's garage [now Tyred and Exhausted]. The roof of the back shop of the butchers can be seen in the photo, the killing shop was just below there as were lairages for cattle, sheep and pigs. Past the garage and up to the old pit road were a row of houses facing the Monkey and backing on to Milnes Field. Those houses were derelict when I was a kid. There was a wall which ran from the back of Carricks down to the wall which can be seen now behind the garage as you go into the car park. Mrs Johnson had that wall and the one that makes the alley with the Howard [ market tavern] topped with broken glass to stop people climing over. When I lived there, the only yard behind the shops belonged to the butcher [my dad was the slaughterman]. I can also remember being in the flat above the chemist many times, the lady of the house was a freind of my mothers.

That's the one Fourgee; formerly Hay's the Chemist (as opposed to "the top[end] chemist" which was Binks). Unfortunately it's off Cympil's picture at the right, but we must have a really old picture of the Vulcan Place / Marketplace corner somewhere.

Betty Charlton / Oliver was definately very well known to our family, as I wouldn't remember the name unless it had been repeated many times. Unfortunately I can't fill in any of the details - it was one of those many things that as a kid you don't connect with, so just becomes part of the background noise. Pity you didn't post this in the 1980's! ;)

The Olivers (and I'm assuming here the same Olivers) were good friends of Dr. Brown's family, and I remember Eileen Brown often inviting them over to Horton Road.

Is this the one?

Thats the one Foxy. It's probably close to the era that Ali is interested in. Those houses on the left are the ones I mentioned that were derelict when I was a kid. The ones on the right were still in use [ some of them anyway] I can remember the kids that lived in them going to the village infants [church infants as some of you refer to it] and then to the whitley memorial when I was at those schools.

Thats the one Foxy. It's probably close to the era that Ali is interested in. Those houses on the left are the ones I mentioned that were derelict when I was a kid. The ones on the right were still in use [ some of them anyway] I can remember the kids that lived in them going to the village infants [church infants as some of you refer to it] and then to the whitley memorial when I was at those schools.

Well then we may have met at some time because I lived in the houses on the right with my granny until we moved to the new council estate opposite the cemetry/ridge farm. I think one of the houses on the left was used by the Bedlington Harriers before they were knocked down,I was probably one of the kids that you remember going to the Whitley School,(more clues for Dr Pit aka Inspector Morse)

• 10 months later...

hi,im tracing my Charlton family tree and would appreciate any help anyone has

ive traced my tree back to 1698 and right up to the 1960's my ancesters have lived at Bedlington.

their are so many names i could give but one of my main ancesters is my great,great grandad Thomas Charlton born 1807/1808 in Bedlington and died 1884 and buried at st cutheberts.census records shows 1861,1871,1881 living at the market place (opposite the church) which i believe now is a chemist,i also believe he had the premises round the back because he was a carpenter.

my grandad (george trevor charlton) left Bedlington in the 1960's with my gran (isabella 'betty' Charlton nee Oliver) and my dad (Alan) and uncle (David)

any help anyone has will be very much appreciated

thanks

ali

My wife is a Charlton, but what side are we looking at here ? Her dad id Denis and late mother Maureen. Her brothers are Trevor, Gary, sisters, Denise and Lyn. are we talking about the same side ?

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

not sure if were talking about the same charltons.

Does your wife remember an George Trevor charlton (known as Trevor) who married Isabella Oliver (known as Betty),these were my granda.parents and they had two sons Alan (my dad) and David

thanks

hi,

not sure if were talking about the same charltons.

Does your wife remember an George Trevor charlton (known as Trevor) who married Isabella Oliver (known as Betty),these were my granda.parents and they had two sons Alan (my dad) and David

thanks

yes a different side to my wifes. good luck with your research

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now