Rental Properties

Mr Stitch

We are currently desperate for a bigger property, since we have a new baby on the way in May.

So far we have found it a nightmare. Landlords/landladies keep turning us away because we're "not in full time employment".

We are infact full time carers for our 2 disabled children. Despite knowing this fact, we keep getting turned away. They like to use the excuse that the mortgage won't allow dss tenants. We happen to know that this is not true, and is purely an excuse.

Here's the confusing bit. Someone who is employed could lose their job tomorrow, and not be able to afford the rent. Our kids are not going to stop being disabled, and the benefits are not going to stop.

So it logically cannot be a decision based on financial security. It leaves me to believe that it is pure discrimination.

Sorry for my first post to be an angry rant, but I feel the need to spread the awareness that this is happening in Bedlington.

Greetings everybody, by the way

• Like 1

We are currently desperate for a bigger property, since we have a new baby on the way in May.

So far we have found it a nightmare. Landlords/landladies keep turning us away because we're "not in full time employment".

We are infact full time carers for our 2 disabled children. Despite knowing this fact, we keep getting turned away. They like to use the excuse that the mortgage won't allow dss tenants. We happen to know that this is not true, and is purely an excuse.

Here's the confusing bit. Someone who is employed could lose their job tomorrow, and not be able to afford the rent. Our kids are not going to stop being disabled, and the benefits are not going to stop.

So it logically cannot be a decision based on financial security. It leaves me to believe that it is pure discrimination.

Sorry for my first post to be an angry rant, but I feel the need to spread the awareness that this is happening in Bedlington.

Greetings everybody, by the way

Dont't apologise for ranting, rant all you want, thats the idea. In fact I have got a degree in ranting, ranting cleans the pipes out. [oops I am ranting again are'nt I ] . Surely the local authority can help, Bernicia group [ wansbeck homes / cheviot homes] or even social services. Possibly someone on the west bedlington town council can point you in the right direction. Malcolm?

We have contacted lots of agencies and do have people helping us look. The problem seems to only show itself when the landlords/landladies are informed of our situation.

The agencies and estate agents are very understanding, and they have our utmost gratitude for the effort that they put in.

Keith,

Good job there is a full stop at the end of that's sentence! I have nothing to do with any council as far as being a councillor goes anyway! There are two WBTC councillors above the parapet on this board but in this case I don't think they would be of any help. What Mr Stitch needs is his NCC county councillor but even then…………

Because all the old council houses have been moved into quasi private sector agencies they have their own set of rules and regs and it is these Mr Stich needs to understand. I presume by the title Mr Stitch is looking at private landlords and only the ones who have registered with the Good Landlord Scheme might have the 'open mindedness' needed about this situation. Most will put their properties out to rent remotely through estate/letting agents and that's probably where Mr Stich's situation is failing.

Doubtless he will have registered with the likes of Wansbeck Homes/Bernicia and after he gets his personalised number he will be able to 'bid' for any of their properties which his situation warrants, which come available and are advertised every Thursday.

On the face of it this looks a stupid situation and because of some jobsworth requirements a perfectly understandable situation has become a nightmare.

There you go then , I Do know that you are not a councilor Malcolm, but I also know that you seem to keep informed and I would have thought you would have known who to contact, being the nice man you are [even though you edited out one of my words this morning]. Surely this man should not be passed from pillar to post the way he seems to be, with only 3 months before a baby is due. I wonder how the local authority would view the situation if they were 17 year old deliquents with a baby on the way, with no money ,no furniture and a posse of social workers standing their corner.

• 2 years later...

Sorry it's been so long since I posted last, but we've had a hectic couple of years. We got into a house and we are now settled, bairn's are in school and my little girl turns 2 this May. All is going well and we're glad that we have found an understanding landlord.

I will be posting more frequently now that things have settled :)

• Like 1

Sorry it's been so long since I posted last, but we've had a hectic couple of years. We got into a house and we are now settled, bairn's are in school and my little girl turns 2 this May. All is going well and we're glad that we have found an understanding landlord.

I will be posting more frequently now that things have settled :)

Welcome back Mr Stitch good to hear you got everything sorted.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now