Newcastle Lane Farm Bedlington

dozza

Hi, Can anyone tell me anything about a farm situated somewhere on Newcastle Lane Bedlington. Apparently my ancestors were farming 7 acres of land there ?

The only place I can think of that could be anything like 7 acres would be where Les Dinsmore had a bit of a market garden/plant nursery opposite the bottom end of the golf course, I think there is a public footpath running by there now

The only place I can think of that could be anything like 7 acres would be where Les Dinsmore had a bit of a market garden/plant nursery opposite the bottom end of the golf course, I think there is a public footpath running by there now

Lesley Dinsmore was in my class at westridge and his Dad ran the farm back then, we used to stop in for tea when we ran cross country, I worked one time topping snaggies at the farm, it seemed to be more than 7 acres though, does Les still have the land??

Lesley Dinsmore was in my class at westridge and his Dad ran the farm back then, we used to stop in for tea when we ran cross country, I worked one time topping snaggies at the farm, it seemed to be more than 7 acres though, does Les still have the land??

Mickey, you are just a couple of years older than I am so we are thinking along the same lines. The old man was called Les too and he was a good friend of my dads. I think he was a little older than my dad [he would have been 88 this year] so I would imagine old Les would be long gone. The house is still there [i think] but I dont think anything else is ie. greenhouses etc. It may have been a little more than 7 acres but not much I would have thought. I do know one thing though, the bizzies like to sit in the entrance skiving,...... oops sorry, watching for naughty drivers.

Mickey, you are just a couple of years older than I am so we are thinking along the same lines. The old man was called Les too and he was a good friend of my dads. I think he was a little older than my dad [he would have been 88 this year] so I would imagine old Les would be long gone. The house is still there [i think] but I dont think anything else is ie. greenhouses etc. It may have been a little more than 7 acres but not much I would have thought. I do know one thing though, the bizzies like to sit in the entrance skiving,...... oops sorry, watching for naughty drivers.

I suppose everything seemed bigger when you,re a kid so 7 acres may be right, lesley was a good kid back then how time flies........

Newcastle Lane??? Is this the old name for Hartford Road East then running into Hartford Road? If so, I remember 3 farms along there in the 60s:

The first was located between Nether Riggs and Elm Drive ... a small market-garden/smallholding type of place. We used to get sent as kids to buy eggs and paraffin.

The next one along Hartford Road was on the right-hand side (opposite to where the golf club is now) ... I think it was called Lane Farm (but memory does play tricks) but I can't remember any glasshouses in the 60s.

The next one along on the right was Ewart's, or something like that.

There was also an old farm house (a red brick thing) near the weir on the river at Acorn Bank. I seem to remember it standing in a wheat field just south of Costain's open-cast site.

Not to do with the OP's question, but there was also a small farm down the bottom end of Front Street - located on the right-hand side past Vulcan Place and the Church. Patterson's rings a bell.

Newcastle Lane??? Is this the old name for Hartford Road East then running into Hartford Road? If so, I remember 3 farms along there in the 60s:

The first was located between Nether Riggs and Elm Drive ... a small market-garden/smallholding type of place. We used to get sent as kids to buy eggs and paraffin.

The next one along Hartford Road was on the right-hand side (opposite to where the golf club is now) ... I think it was called Lane Farm (but memory does play tricks) but I can't remember any glasshouses in the 60s.

The next one along on the right was Ewart's, or something like that.

There was also an old farm house (a red brick thing) near the weir on the river at Acorn Bank. I seem to remember it standing in a wheat field just south of Costain's open-cast site.

Not to do with the OP's question, but there was also a small farm down the bottom end of Front Street - located on the right-hand side past Vulcan Place and the Church. Patterson's rings a bell.

Thanks to everyone who read my query, as I dont know bedlington at all I have never heard of these places. If it's any help my ancestors were called Brown. Originally he was a pitman.... so the change of occupation was strange.. did he inherit the farm from his wifes side?

• 10 months later...

We lived at the red brick farmhouse near the weir , this was Acorn Bank Farm and there was another older stone built house (the original farm house) next to the orchard.We lived there in 1965 but had to move out when blasting from the opencast site caused the gable end wall to split.This house was lit by gas even in 1965!

The previous occupants were Carter but that's all I know of them.

• 4 years later...
On 17/02/2011 at 20:40, Symptoms said:

The Pattersons ( Ella and Jim) were relatives of my husband; Ella Patterson was born Eleanor Menzies, and was John (Jack) Menzies sister. I believe they had a daughter called Carol. I'm currently researching our family tree, and trying to find out what happened to them.

**Not to do with the OP's question, but there was also a small farm down the bottom end of Front Street - located on the right-hand side past Vulcan Place and the Church. Patterson's rings a bell.**

The Pattersons ( Ella and Jim) were relatives of my husband; Ella Patterson was born Eleanor Menzies, and was John (Jack) Menzies sister. I believe they had a daughter called Carol. I'm currently researching our family tree, and trying to find out what happened to them.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now