Family Tree

ronnie1

The Oval used to be a thriving little community as many of us well remember. There was the clinic/school dentist, the doctors surgery [ivory and Brown] paper shop, hairdressers , Dennis' greengrocer, George Swan's [mini mart] the butcher, bakers, fish and chip shop and the school.I've bound to have something out. There was a second hand motorbike shop [was that in what used to be the bakers?]

The Oval used to be a thriving little community as many of us well remember. There was the clinic/school dentist, the doctors surgery [ivory and Brown] paper shop, hairdressers , Dennis' greengrocer, George Swan's [mini mart] the butcher, bakers, fish and chip shop and the school.I've bound to have something out. There was a second hand motorbike shop [was that in what used to be the bakers?]

The original shops at the oval as far as I remember were George Swan's then the chemist (4D per lb for the rose hips), the barbers, a Haberdashery shop and the Co op, on the next corner was Dobsons followed by Christine Henderson the Chiropodist Wakes the butcher (nice pies) Mr Beadnells Paper shop and another drapers, there could have been more but I can not remember. I do remember the Oval being built. I remember one of those shops changing hands and it becam a record shop.

Edited by Pete

The original shops at the oval as far as I remember were George Swan's then the chemist (4D per lb for the rose hips), the barbers, a Haberdashery shop and the Co op, on the next corner was Dobsons followed by Christine Henderson the Chiropodist Wakes the butcher (nice pies) Mr Beadnells Paper shop and another drapers, there could have been more but I can not remember. I do remember the Oval being built. I remember one of those shops changing hands and it becam a record shop.

Thinking back I remember the chiropotist and the chemist dont think I can remember the co-op, [was it the co-op that preceeded the bakers] my mother worked in George Swans shop for about 17 years. The thing is Pete, those shops in the oval have changed hands /use, [with the exception of a couple] so many times over the years. I can remember during the first miners strike when we had electricity rationing and power cuts [was it winter '71 or '72] some of those shopkeepers camping out in their shops overnight for fear of looters.

Thinking back I remember the chiropotist and the chemist dont think I can remember the co-op, [was it the co-op that preceeded the bakers] my mother worked in George Swans shop for about 17 years. The thing is Pete, those shops in the oval have changed hands /use, [with the exception of a couple] so many times over the years. I can remember during the first miners strike when we had electricity rationing and power cuts [was it winter '71 or '72] some of those shopkeepers camping out in their shops overnight for fear of looters.

The co op was two shops on the opposite corner from George Swans. When the Oval was first built the original shops that I remember were George Swans, the chemist the Co op, Dobsons, simular shop to George Swans, Wakes the buthers and the chiropotist, this would have been mid fifties when the corn field was a field.

George Swans nephew worked for him in the shop he later became a local police officer in Bedlington (Red Lion)

• 11 months later...

i am a routledge and all my family were from bedlington and the ashington area, check out the new facebook site the routledge clan page. also the routledges clan website on the net

i have posted lots on there and there is about 150 members.

i am after tracing long lost family members

les

Hi Pete, would that be Alan Routledge (Rutt)who went to the YM? He died around the age of 18-20 of leukemia. I rember we had a memorial service for him at the YM.

Yes Canny Lass you are correct but I am not sure if his name was Alan or Jimmy. I remember the memorial service at the YM.

Dr Ivory was a ww2 pilot. he won bravery awards. I believe he moved to Guide Post at a later date and died sometime about 2005 ?

maybe just before. cracking dr he was.

Im sure it was John his first name, nicknamed "Paddy"

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

Dr Ivory was a ww2 pilot. he won bravery awards. I believe he moved to Guide Post at a later date and died sometime about 2005 ?

maybe just before. cracking dr he was.

Im sure it was John his first name, nicknamed "Paddy"

He was brilliant with kids, he used to call into Beadnells paper shop at the Oval to get a handfull of lollies before sugery to give to the kids he would see that day. I remember going to him at the Guide Post clinic for my very first HGV medical. Although he had not been my Dr. for many years he remembered me and we spent some time talking about the family etc. The medical, he asked "what colour is that red pen?" I said "blue". and that was it , passed. His fee "Oh just buy me a cup of tea sometime "

Thanks for that info. A very interesting point with camping out at the shops.

yes he was a character Dr Ivory and he thought the world of the coal miners. I would go in for a sick note and he would say "How long do you want John??" Brilliant. Other times was "I havent had a rabbit pie for ages" i would say "No problem Doctor, i will drop you a couple off" Then a day or two late after being out for rabbits, call into the surgery and leave them wrapped in a bag at reception for him. Next time you saw him "Thanks for the rabbits John" Brilliant doctor and a big miss.

I remember Danny Swann who told a group of us in the club that he was out for a walk and Dr Ivory saw him. It was a wednesday, and he said to Danny "You going to MOrpeth for !*!@# & Hen Day Danny" No Doctor i can't afford it this week. "Can't have that Danny, heres a fiver, just give me it back when you can afford too." Danny got to Morpeth that day thanks to Dr Ivory. What a man he was.

• 1 month later...

Micky wrote: "The picture symtoms posted is my old class at westridge, I,m standing behind him somewhere"

which one are you?

Hi sorry to butt in, those piccies of form 5 Westridge, I know most of them, it must have been taken between Sept '66 and May'67. I can name quite a few faces:- Helen Hurst, Paul Hewish, Alan Temple, Brian Corner, etc. Are most of those still with us as it was 45 years ago. As a new member I'm having a whale of a time remembering the past, for the good and bad times, wow do I feel old?

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2012 at 18:51, Orloff said:
On 1/13/2012 at 19:11, Symptoms said:

Micky wrote: "The picture symtoms posted is my old class at westridge, I,m standing behind him somewhere"

which one are you?

Hi sorry to butt in, those piccies of form 5 Westridge, I know most of them, it must have been taken between Sept '66 and May'67. I can name quite a few faces:- Helen Hurst, Paul Hewish, Alan Temple, Brian Corner, etc. Are most of those still with us as it was 45 years ago. As a new member I'm having a whale of a time remembering the past, for the good and bad times, wow do I feel old?

Orloff - Have you see the above photos with some of the names added into the photo? if you search for "West Ridge" there is a topic in :- 'Chat Central-Westridge Class Pictures From The 60,s'.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now