Corner Shops

Thumper

Much has been said lately of the big supermarkets expanding in Bedlington.

When I was a kid there was small shops all over, Barnes for example was on our road up at Netherton Lane.

Does anyone know what shop was on Millbank Rd as I used to visit it many years ago when visiting my Granny?

Much has been said lately of the big supermarkets expanding in Bedlington.

When I was a kid there was small shops all over, Barnes for example was on our road up at Netherton Lane.

Does anyone know what shop was on Millbank Rd as I used to visit it many years ago when visiting my Granny?

Arthur Smith had that shop quite a few years ago and then John Frazer after that but not sure how long ago your talking about.

the closest shop i can remember to Milbank Road was Ann's Pantry?

Anns Pantry is on Allgood Terrace. The shop on Millbank Road was Frazers the last time it was open - but it hasnt been a shop for at least 8 years now.

Frazers on Millbank Road

• Like 1

And don't forget Adamsons opposite St. Cuthberts

A few may remember Bacci's in the Market Place.

Our kids won"t remember the roman shops,when they are reminiscing they will think of Singhs the butcher,Singhs the baker and Singhs the candlestick maker. "OPEN 24 HOURS" on every corner.

I agree completely with you Foxy. The thing is though when Mr. Singh came with his family and moved into his shop, he opened it up at 6 am and didn't close it till 10 pm. With a few exceptions, mainly newsagents, when Mr. Smith had his shop he would open it at 7:30 or 8am close for lunch between 12 and 1pm then shut up shop at 5:30 or 6pm, he would have a half day on a Wednesday and shut all day on a Sunday. Not every "Mr. Smith" was like that but a large majority were, we can all, me included, mock the Mr. Singhs of this town but the fact remains ,he opens his shop when we get up to go to work and he dosn't close it till we are ready to turn in for the night. He does this 7 days a week. Make of this what you will,is it greed or is it hard work and good service towards his customers needs? All of this long before the late night SPA or CO-OP, or 24hr supermarket shopping.

Yes I agree Keith, but, and I may be wrong (as I usually am) were there not laws about shop opening times at the outset of said business? And were people at the time too afraid at the time to say anything or was said business wise to the fact that NOBODY would say anything no matter what! Just a thought! Oh! By the way before certain people jump on the racism band wagon, good luck to the bloke, he's worked bloody hard for what he's got! A bit of a shame though when people of other cultures try to better themselves the Cooncil and red tape shoot them down in flames! :dribble: :dribble:

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now