The Royal Wedding

tomtom

Well, just how many of us will be looking to flee the country in order to miss the latest pantomime. I suggested this to my good lady who politely suggested that I should take myself off and let others enjoy the spectacle. I used to be a Monarchist at one time but see myself slowly going down the Republican route - I've been put off Royalty thanks to the ever increasing number of and the antics of the minor royals.

Well, just how many of us will be looking to flee the country in order to miss the latest pantomime. I suggested this to my good lady who politely suggested that I should take myself off and let others enjoy the spectacle. I used to be a Monarchist at one time but see myself slowly going down the Republican route - I've been put off Royalty thanks to the ever increasing number of and the antics of the minor royals.

I must admit that when the new government said they would be clamping down on the benefit cheats,they were refering to the royals.Obviously not when we are having to pay for a lavish wedding that we cannot afford!

Well I love the royal family and can't wait ti see the wedding and will be going to see them if they come to Toronto after they are married like I saw Prince Charles and Lady Diana in the early 80's. :rolleyes:

I must admit that when the new government said they would be clamping down on the benefit cheats,they were refering to the royals.Obviously not when we are having to pay for a lavish wedding that we cannot afford!

It will cost a LOT less than supporting asylum seekers, illigal immigrants, dole cheats, keeping murders, peadophiles, rapists etc in prisons, SOME bent cooncill officials and M.P,s past AND present,sending money to other country,s where disasters have occurred even though these apparent "poor" countrys have a nuculear capability, wasting money and lives in an illigal no win war, supposed officials wasting money left right and centre,oh and did I mention SOME bent cooncil officials and M.P,s ? oh yes I did I just thought it needed reinforcing.

I personaly think the Royals should help pay towards it and set an example but thats just my opinion I,m SURE others will have theirs lol

• Like 1

I personaly think the Royals should help pay towards it and set an example but thats just my opinion I,m SURE others will have theirs lol

I think you'll find 'the Royals' are paying towards it.

I'm no monarchist but I have great respect for the Queen, who must be the most dignified and respected figurehead of any country these days. She carries out what must be a pain in the !*!@# of a job very well and certainly sets an example.

On that note, a little story: many years ago, when I lived in Cheshire, some friends of I decided for a laugh to attend a major Horse Trials even that was taking place at a country park nearby. We spent a goodly proportion of the event in the beer tent, naturally, then went out to watch the action. I was standing at the rails and professed to not having a clue what was going on; a well to do lady behind me stepped forward and began explaining the points system, the faults and all that, and gave us good insight into horsemanship and so on. In fact, she talked to us young lads for a botu half an hour before being called away, and she was utterly charming and, it must be said, a great laugh. It was only after she'd left that one of my friends pointed out it was the Princess Royal, Princess Anne. Great girl, welcome for a pint with me anytime.

She may well be one of the 'better' ones - my own experience of some of the others is somewhat different. When Air Miles Andy was doing his Naval Flying Training at RAF Linton on Ouse all those years ago he was something of a pain in the a*** - the 'don't you know who I am' type. Look at the man now as our so called Overseas Trade Ambassador continuing to live off the fat of the land (and us). God help us all.

I'm no monarchist but I have great respect for the Queen, who must be the most dignified and respected figurehead of any country these days. She carries out what must be a pain in the !*!@# of a job very well and certainly sets an example.

Dignified?

Charles came to Bedlington a few years back wearing a very controversial "Fox-Fur" hat.

Back in Balmoral, he was watching the news coverage with his mother, when she saw what he was wearing.

"Whatever possessed One to wear such a Monstrosity Charles?" asked his mother

"Why is was You Mother!"

"One? One advised you to wear such a ridiculous hat?"

"Of Course" Charlie replied... "Last week when i told you i was Visiting Bedlington... don't you remember?"

"Not at all, One would never do such a thing. When did One suggest that?"

"You Did Mother... When i said where i was going, i asked you what to wear, and i distinctly remember you saying 'Bedlington??!?!!? Wear the Fox Hat!!!??!?' "

Dignified?

Charles came to Bedlington a few years back wearing a very controversial "Fox-Fur" hat.

Back in Balmoral, he was watching the news coverage with his mother, when she saw what he was wearing.

"Whatever possessed One to wear such a Monstrosity Charles?" asked his mother

"Why is was You Mother!"

"One? One advised you to wear such a ridiculous hat?"

"Of Course" Charlie replied... "Last week when i told you i was Visiting Bedlington... don't you remember?"

"Not at all, One would never do such a thing. When did One suggest that?"

"You Did Mother... When i said where i was going, i asked you what to wear, and i distinctly remember you saying 'Bedlington??!?!!? Wear the Fox Hat!!!??!?' "

It was'nt my hat........

Dignified?

You reckon otherwise?

Here's a challenge for you; without resorting to the very modern and rather twee conception of wearing fur being 'bad' that has been foisted on us by people who want us not to have our own opinions, can you tell me why wearing a fox fur hat is any more controversial than eating a lamb chop?

Here's a challenge for you; without resorting to the very modern and rather twee conception of wearing fur being 'bad' that has been foisted on us by people who want us not to have our own opinions, can you tell me why wearing a fox fur hat is any more controversial than eating a lamb chop?

Because people disassociate themselves from the meats on offer at the supermarket and the animals they come from. So a lamb chop is a lamb chop whilst a fox is one of those pretty little dog like creatures which frolic in the sun with their cubs……….NOT!

I think its a strange concept for a 21st century democracy........

We'd still need a president. Consider what that would involve, plus which past-sell-by-date political hack would likely be appointed to the position. Tony Blair or ... or ...? And... the job is often for life! Have I changed your mind yet?

You don't need to be a royalist to give muted support Lizzie, simply a realist! :D

I think you'll find 'the Royals' are paying towards it.

On that note, a little story: many years ago, when I lived in Cheshire, some friends of I decided for a laugh to attend a major Horse Trials even that was taking place at a country park nearby. We spent a goodly proportion of the event in the beer tent, naturally, then went out to watch the action. I was standing at the rails and professed to not having a clue what was going on; a well to do lady behind me stepped forward and began explaining the points system, the faults and all that, and gave us good insight into horsemanship and so on. In fact, she talked to us young lads for a botu half an hour before being called away, and she was utterly charming and, it must be said, a great laugh. It was only after she'd left that one of my friends pointed out it was the Princess Royal, Princess Anne. Great girl, welcome for a pint with me anytime.

I personally think the ROYAL family are a GREAT asset to this once great country of ours and believe OUR Queen does a sterling job and does give us good value for money and its good to know they are paying towards it, as I said I do think they should.

I do think its just a shame this country is not as "patriotic" as it should be, it in my opinion is a major problem in society.......

• Like 1

You reckon otherwise?

i neither agree nor disagree with the statement referred too.

Frankly, no, i cannot.

I found it funny tho! :whistle:

How can the lot of you talk of patriotism, when we the English cannot even rule our own country! We pander to every ethnic minority there is to be had! As soon as the Queen is mentioned we are all on our high horse, how great she is, how good she is for the country, how we should support royal weddings, how we should support our heritage! Well Be-Jesus where are you lot when our boys are being shot in overseas centres of WAR and so called BRITISH citizens are calling for them to DIE, and would revel in the bombing and death of these same Royals. You basically are not there! YOU have a choice back our lads and support the Monarchy and be a patriot or join the pc brigade and sell your soul to the Devil. Up the revolution! :dribble: :dribble:

• Like 1

Personally, I think the country would be at a loss without them. The christmas special this time round was an absolute hoot. Jim Royle having to be lifted onto the crapper 'cos he had two sore big toes ................ or is that the wrong family. oops , mebe them ROYALS in London should swap with them ROYLES in Manchester. The christmas message would be better to watch for one thing

Edited by keith

You reckon otherwise?

post-212-0-89768900-1294543552_thumb.jpg does it suit me

GGG,

At least us plebs would get to vote for the country's leader.

I think our Royals provide a function, I just don't think it should be constitutional.

I liked your joke too Mr D.

Merlin, first time I have heard the war cry 'up the revolution' in support of the establishment.

Brian, you got the fox on your head or your chin?

I have every suspicion Merc got the joke completely, he was just poking the hornets nest to see if the dummy would fly ;) ;)

Indeed, I got the joke. My response wasn't an attempt at stirring, however, but a genuine challenge. It amuses me when people bang on about how 'unethical' it is to wear fur while happily sitting down to feast on bits of animals raised specifically so we can kill them to eat.

If the fur is worn simply to keep warm, as in eskimo's etc then i don't see an issue with it at all. When its worn as a trophy, with the rest of the animal wasted, then i think this is wrong.

If an animal must be killed, i don't see any reason why the whole of the animal should not be used.

I suppose i'm doing my bit by eating sausages and hot dogs! (PLEASE don't remind me what's in them!)

It was just meant as a joke though, and was re-iterated as it was told to me, without any internally hidden message intended.

My next door neighbour is a trapper, he runs a trap line and makes a living at it, across the road there is a native family who hunt for all their meat. Most! (well half) my friends hunt for most of their meat, (hunting for non-natives is only allowed for a few weeks in the fall, controlled by the sale of hunting tags) a moose can fill a big freezer, elk is nice, deer are tasty, a couple of friends go up to the Yukon for trophy animals (usually sheep) to put on the wall, too each his own! it takes all sorts!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now