House Alarms

Merlin

Enough is enough! Should this be in Chat Central? I don't know, but, here goes.

What do you do when a house alarm is doing your head in? Well you may ask, do you phone the police? Yes! Seems like a good idea! NOT! I've been informed by the polis that they no longer respond to house alarms! :wtf: What if this alarm has been going since 22nd Dec? Still not a good idea to phone the polis, nowt they can do! Householder has been told every time they leave for a vacation within fifteen minutes the bloody alarm goes off until they come back, have they done anything about it, eeeeeerrrrrrrrr NOPE! As I say this bloody alarm has been going since the 22nd of Dec. When told by polis that there was nothing they can do I offered my services and was told "If anything happens to the alarm box I will be arrested". At least I'll get some peace was my reply, did not go down well with PC plod. There is a number for Newcastle Civic Centre for house alarms but you'll not believe this... Nobody answers OOOOOOOOhhh!

Right if the Polis don't respond to house alarms, WHAT IS THE BLOODY POINT OF HAVING THE DAMN THINGS!

AND is this not a case of DISTURBING THE PEACE! Even the number on the box was useless "Are you the householder" NO! Then I'm sorry sir I can't help you!

Cooncillors on here, have you any provisions for such cases, because I can't find any, there must be something people can do, this can not be allowed to happen, it's just not right! This person has probably had a nice peaceful Christmas while the residents of North Ridge and Ridge Terrace have had to put up with an alarm going off for 6 days. As for the un co-operation of the polis, well, I hope they have a peaceful New Year! NOT!

By the way the Damn thing is still going as I speak

HOW TO CALL THE POLICE WHEN YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T MOVE FAST ANYMORE.

George Phillips an elderly man from Bedlington, was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?"

He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available." George said, "Okay."

He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello,I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot and killed them both, the dogs are eating them right now." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to George , "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

• Like 3

Well I for one feel sorry for you and your neighbours. There was a similar situation where I lived previously, your right the polis say its not their remit.

So collectivley we had a "word" with the neighbours in question and reminded them that IF their house was being burgled as neighbours we would infact just ignore it because the alarm was going of in a similar way to the one your experiencing hence it was crying wolf however if they got it fixed we would as neighbours keep an eye out in the event it went off and do the right thing . Also if the house alarm is not working correctly and on your house insurance policy it states that it should be in the event of a claim it could be put in serious jepordy. :warning:

Sizsells, neighbours have already had a word with this person but to no avail!

John and Cympil, I have read your link to NCC Env Health. Interesting stuff. IF they are registered! But surely the POLIS would be wise to this information, but it seems not in Bedlington COP SHOP. THE most unhelpful person on the desk when I phoned. As I say the NCC site was interesting and I am now armed to the teeth with gen for my next phone call to the cop shop. Cheers people. By the way the alarm has just started again :dribble: :dribble: :wacko: :wacko:

It says here that if the neighbours where the noisy alarm haven`t registered with a Keyholder, the Noise Team can break into the house and turn the alarm off.

All the info needed is in the above link.

Cympil, they are a waste of time, when i phoned them with a noise complaint through the night I was told they only work during office hours but they would make a note of my call!! :angry: As for breaking in can you imagine the proceeding before they got to that step? :blink:

Edited by toffo

Enough is enough! Should this be in Chat Central? I don't know, but, here goes.

What do you do when a house alarm is doing your head in? Well you may ask, do you phone the police? Yes! Seems like a good idea! NOT! I've been informed by the polis that they no longer respond to house alarms! :wtf: What if this alarm has been going since 22nd Dec? Still not a good idea to phone the polis, nowt they can do! Householder has been told every time they leave for a vacation within fifteen minutes the bloody alarm goes off until they come back, have they done anything about it, eeeeeerrrrrrrrr NOPE! As I say this bloody alarm has been going since the 22nd of Dec. When told by polis that there was nothing they can do I offered my services and was told "If anything happens to the alarm box I will be arrested". At least I'll get some peace was my reply, did not go down well with PC plod. There is a number for Newcastle Civic Centre for house alarms but you'll not believe this... Nobody answers OOOOOOOOhhh!

Right if the Polis don't respond to house alarms, WHAT IS THE BLOODY POINT OF HAVING THE DAMN THINGS!

AND is this not a case of DISTURBING THE PEACE! Even the number on the box was useless "Are you the householder" NO! Then I'm sorry sir I can't help you!

Cooncillors on here, have you any provisions for such cases, because I can't find any, there must be something people can do, this can not be allowed to happen, it's just not right! This person has probably had a nice peaceful Christmas while the residents of North Ridge and Ridge Terrace have had to put up with an alarm going off for 6 days. As for the un co-operation of the polis, well, I hope they have a peaceful New Year! NOT!

By the way the Damn thing is still going as I speak

Merlin, I know what you are going through; we usually have this problem, in the summer, normally with people who have a prepayment electric meter. Once the prepayment card has run out and the electric cuts off the alarm kicks in and if the occupants have gone away on holiday you have to put up with the dammed noise till they return. The noise is Bliddy annoying; its time the council and polis got there heads together and got this problem sorted

Merlin.

Greenwich CC clearly state the law in the second paragraph of this:

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/YourEnvironment/Noise/AlarmsPage.htm

I used to serve on a 4 counties risk management group when alarm regs were revised & if my memory serves me well I think they should be limited to 3 audible alarms & then cut off to display the flashing light only. This info is from a few years ago mind.

Hope this helps.

Hang on just found the relevant legislation: Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

I think you need to contact an NCC Enforcement Officer.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now