Support The Small Bussiness

people of bedders please try and support small local buisnesses, the bigger chains take our money and give no personal service whereas local small shops get to know the locals and actualy care what happens to there customers small shops may have to charge a little more but look at the pesonal service you get so come on support the littleuns

• Like 3

people of bedders please try and support small local buisnesses, the bigger chains take our money and give no personal service whereas local small shops get to know the locals and actualy care what happens to there customers small shops may have to charge a little more but look at the pesonal service you get so come on support the littleuns

Its worth the extra few coppers to be able to speak to the boss!

• Like 1

I hate places like ASDA and TESCO, but the fact is they make shopping too easy [one stop shopping]. They have turned the knack of depriving you of your hard earned cash into an art form. I would much rather go to a proper grocer and baker etc. The quality is much better and as Malcolm says, it is easier to see the boss if need be. We never buy supermarket meat as we have a perfectly good butcher in Bobby Cowell who has served us well for years. What we need is another Pop Clowston [remember him?] I dont think we woluld spend too much more if we used the smaller shops because we would be more likely to only buy what we actually went in for and not be conned into 2 for 1 deals on something we dont want.

Shopping locally has its pro's and cons! we shop locally whenever we can afford too! (we tend to get gouged as they don't have any competition!) my wife remembers Pop and his sister Edie Clouson very well, Edie also ran a small shop.

You can't beat the independent local butcher and baker etc for quality but it usually comes at a high cost as they don't have the volume purchasing abilities that the big companies have.

Shopping locally has its pro's and cons! we shop locally whenever we can afford too! (we tend to get gouged as they don't have any competition!) my wife remembers Pop and his sister Edie Clouson very well, Edie also ran a small shop.

You can't beat the independent local butcher and baker etc for quality but it usually comes at a high cost as they don't have the volume purchasing abilities that the big companies have.

Now you've started something, I'm reminiscing, any body remember Jimmy Milnes, Smailes at the bottem end, Keenans at the top end or what about Reeds the cobblers. Am i in your age group Vic? Anybody got any photos?

I agree Vic, I have seen the buyers from the big supermarkets many times at the livestock mart. They are sent to buy weight, not quality. As cattle enter the sale ring they pass over a weighbridge. The buyers from the likes of asda and tesco just bid for the early entries until they have purchased their designated weights. A good butcher spends time looking at the beasts before deciding on which ones he would like to bid for, cattle that are "finished" properly kill out better and the carcase would be hung for 3 or 4 weeks before butchering for sale. Hung meat should not be confused with the supermarket term of MATURED MEAT. Matured meat is butchered straight away, vaccuum packed and stored in a coldroom for a few weeks before being distributed to the stores and stuck on the shelves . That is why you get the packs with the absorbant pads in them to soak up the blood. Beef that has been hung properley is more brown in colour and when you press it w,hith your thumb you should leave an indentation, matured beef , on the other hand, is still bright red and when you press it, it springs back much quicker. There are still many butchers who attend the marts themselves, buy livestock and have them sent to their chosen abatoir.

I have to agree with supporting the local shops and think Tesco is a blight on the town. Odd, though, how people are not so quick to support the local pubs and seem eager to flock to the new mighty all powerful superstore of pubs that has opened at the top of the street.....

• Like 1

For my tuppence worth………..

I think it's probably essential for a place like Bedders to have a vibrant independent business sector. Without that we lose any sort of sensible commercial image as a market town. Relying on the likes of Tesco is, in my opinion, a mistake, however it is a sign of the times and lack of any forethought and planning. Despite what I have said on another thread I think Manor Walks is the epitome of a well laid out small town shopping centre and one we should have had.

There is one proviso, with the increase in population, and let's talk about nationally 60 odd to 70 million souls, is there any other way to provide for the masses on the scale needed?

Still be interested to learn what ASDA are going to do with Nettos here, anyone?????

Still be interested to learn what ASDA are going to do with Nettos here, anyone?????

I asked this question less than a week ago, and there has been no official word as to the final plans for the Netto chain through the stores usual channels.

Having said that, the extension to Blyth store changed several times right up to the breaking of ground, so any early rumours could prove to be wrong anyway!

I have to agree with supporting the local shops and think Tesco is a blight on the town. Odd, though, how people are not so quick to support the local pubs and seem eager to flock to the new mighty all powerful superstore of pubs that has opened at the top of the street.....

Perhaps we hav'nt all got the same taste,I could name one local pub that smells like a public toilet and another where Breathing Apparatus is a must!I would'nt tar them all with the same brush,the Tavern and Blue Bell are very nice but at the moment I'll stick with the superstore pub at the top of the street.

people always have ago at the big shops! if these small retailers actually did there job properly and gave the costumers value for money they would not be going out of business! think about it tesco's, asda, morrisons all started out as small retailers only they got it right! i like not having to think when i go shopping i like easy and value.

people always have ago at the big shops! if these small retailers actually did there job properly and gave the costumers value for money they would not be going out of business! think about it tesco's, asda, morrisons all started out as small retailers only they got it right! i like not having to think when i go shopping i like easy and value.

Monsta may I assume you don,t run your own business?

Because if you did you would,nt be saying such bolloks your clearly uninformed and self- opinionated.

Do you actually think someone who relies on there business paying there wages and POSSIBLY keeping a roof over there head is not going to try and give value for money.

YOUR clearly deluded and confrontational lol :whistle:

Small business's in this town and others are faced with astronomical overheads, what with greedy landlords and greedy cooncils, who seem to think just because you want to open a shop, they have the right to fleece you because you must have money to want to open a shop in the first place! Wrong! Many people just want to earn an honest crust and don't have aspirations of grandeur. Is it any wonder that many fail within the first year? I worked for somebody who had a shop on the front street, over a grand a month in rent plus electric plus insurance plus cooncil rates plus wages and had to deliver a fair price to the public, and a cooncil he had to fight because he had the audacity to want to put a sign up on the front of his shop, no such problems for Tesco there, eh! People need help to open a shop so that they can pay their bills and to be able to offer a fair price for their goods as well as being able to live! This help should not stop with new business's but should include existing business's also. If we want to shop in Bedlington for all our needs then we should be encouraging people to set up, not pricing them out of the market before they even start! But there again we've got Tesco Haven't WE so WHY BOTHER :dribble: :dribble: :blink: :blink:

• Like 3

Small business's in this town and others are faced with astronomical overheads, what with greedy landlords and greedy cooncils, who seem to think just because you want to open a shop, they have the right to fleece you because you must have money to want to open a shop in the first place! Wrong! Many people just want to earn an honest crust and don't have aspirations of grandeur. Is it any wonder that many fail within the first year? I worked for somebody who had a shop on the front street, over a grand a month in rent plus electric plus insurance plus cooncil rates plus wages and had to deliver a fair price to the public, and a cooncil he had to fight because he had the audacity to want to put a sign up on the front of his shop, no such problems for Tesco there, eh! People need help to open a shop so that they can pay their bills and to be able to offer a fair price for their goods as well as being able to live! This help should not stop with new business's but should include existing business's also. If we want to shop in Bedlington for all our needs then we should be encouraging people to set up, not pricing them out of the market before they even start! But there again we've got Tesco Haven't WE so WHY BOTHER :dribble: :dribble: :blink: :blink:

You are absolutely spot on there Merlin. The phrase pxxxing against the wind comes to mind

Perhaps we hav'nt all got the same taste,I could name one local pub that smells like a public toilet and another where Breathing Apparatus is a must!I would'nt tar them all with the same brush,the Tavern and Blue Bell are very nice but at the moment I'll stick with the superstore pub at the top of the street.

Of course we haven't all got the same taste; your preference for the bar at which the local drug dealers have chosen to do their business - nicely tucked away upstairs and out of sight - is your prerogative! I prefer a pub where I know the regulars!

All so very true and OUR cooncil and cooncilors can,t/won,t see the sense in encouraging small business to flourish "UP THE STREET".

I do think having a chain like Tescos is needed in the town, as they have in other towns around us but that should be expanded on look at Manor walks in Cramlington or the arcades in Morpeth and Blyth they all have flourishing small traders along side the big boys so it can/does work.

We just need an UNBIASED cooncil and cooncilors with a bit of economical forethought to help this town become the place it should be.

With the RIGHT people in charge we can get rid of our dormatory town tag.

Monsta,

I am not quite ready to live in Tescoville............. :|

Of course we haven't all got the same taste; your preference for the bar at which the local drug dealers have chosen to do their business - nicely tucked away upstairs and out of sight - is your prerogative! I prefer a pub where I know the regulars!

I wouldn't know a drug dealer if I saw one,In your pub or mine,but if I did I would be wary about making accusations.

I wouldn't know a drug dealer if I saw one,In your pub or mine,but if I did I would be wary about making accusations.

No accusations; came from a very well informed source...

It was always inevitable; any new place opening will experience the same. When you put the toilets with doors out of the view of the bar staff you're offering an invitation.

No accusations; came from a very well informed source...

It was always inevitable; any new place opening will experience the same. When you put the toilets with doors out of the view of the bar staff you're offering an invitation.

Starting at the Ridge Farm and working your way down the street,there are nine pubs/clubs where the bar staff cannot see the toilet doors. I think you've made your point and I've made mine. Let's just leave it at that.

i own eats and treats food takeaway and i strongly feel that we give value for money i am not out to fleece anyone and i think you will find like me that other small traders in the town are out to make a simple living and just want to get by in life like everyone else its very hard having to compete with the likes of gregs and other big companies , at least you get a good welcome when you come into our takeaway, its hard work running your own buisness , if traders actualy charged for the time and dedication put in to there shops no one could afford to shop with them .

• Like 4

i own eats and treats food takeaway and i strongly feel that we give value for money i am not out to fleece anyone and i think you will find like me that other small traders in the town are out to make a simple living and just want to get by in life like everyone else its very hard having to compete with the likes of gregs and other big companies , at least you get a good welcome when you come into our takeaway, its hard work running your own buisness , if traders actualy charged for the time and dedication put in to there shops no one could afford to shop with them .

Him speak with forked tongue. In the consumer forum When it was suggested that he worked there he said "no I work in Morpeth, I just call in when I pass through" See, my talents are wasted should have been a snoop.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now