The Gardeners Arms.

Heh heh !...it's queer hoo time changes your perception of life when you were a kid!

That's nowt like the aad Ned Metcalfe I have in me head...he has a coat on...and nae riding breeches or horse whip!....AND...he looks like a canny aad chep!

He always seemed ti be in his shirt sleeves,wi sleeve armbands,[ti keep he's shirt cuffs up],and he's aad waistcoat on ...a real figure of dominance wi that whip....

What year was the pic?....[1936 was the year the trophy was presented to the club],cos aam sure that the fella on the right wi he's hand on he's hip was my deceased Brother-in-Law or if it wasn't,then he is the spitting image of him.

Very interesting picture of the Bedlingtons....especially the desperate one which is squatting!

Looking at Ned,[apart from his unrecogniseable attire!],his stature suggests to me that it would have been mid-fifties,I would have been a kid of nine or ten...

17 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

What year was the pic?....[1936 was the year the trophy was presented to the club],cos aam sure that the fella on the right wi he's hand on he's hip was my deceased Brother-in-Law or if it wasn't,then he is the spitting image of him.

1953 - July. Peter Arris - Chairman of the BTNE club - has posted the full picture for me  along with this info :-

Here is a picture of William Luker (extreme right). Notice old Ned Metcalf kneeling, he never did dress up for the occasion, I think he went to bed wearing that old 1890’s style bonnet.
None of this, is in my particular period of enquiry, so
 I have never looked at it before with any great interest.
However, the name Luker intrigued me, certainly not one that we often encounter in Northumberland.
So, with a little bit of digging, I discovered that his father was a stone mason and surprise, surprise married into the Thomson family of Bedlington terrier fame.
His wife was called Lily Victoria Luker. Died 1957.
He joined the National Bedlington Terrier Club committee about 1953, (no sign of his cup there unfortunately) though it was won by Miss Heron another NBT member in a non-connected show in Morpeth in 1953 and not heard of again, possibly she kept it. They were supposed to be returned to the show secretary each year.
It would appear that during that time. The National Bedlington Terrier Club was again in a state of turmoil and instability. With the old and the new members each having serious differences of opinion on how it should be run, or if it should even remain faithful to its roots in Bedlington, as new Bedlington Terrier clubs started to appear in the southern regions of the U.K.
It would appear that the working class, cloth cap image was not to the liking of the newer members.
It did not take them long, to forget the history of our beloved Terriers.

1953 Old Photo with info.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now