Tesco

normaL

Did you see picture of what it should look like in yesterdays JOURNAL? Looks more like the outside of an airport terminal. It will just be a huge nail in the coffin of yet another small market town centre Half the folk shopping there wont even show up let alone spend money in other parts of the town [thats shopping on line for you] They may as well just build a warehouse/distribution centre in the current car park with access for their own vehicles ....... and if ASDA get their way, who knows "BEDLINGTON,SOUTH NORTHUMBERLANDS VERY OWN RETAIL PARK"

ASDA in process of buying NETTO UK. Word is they are to pull down NETTO at Bedlington and neighbouring buildings and build an ASDA store on stilts similar to the one at Ashington.

Really?

I've heard they did a postcode survey a while back, and found Bedlington was split 3 ways between Ashington, Blyth and Cramlington, and therefore did not need another store in the middle.

There is also the monopoly thing, where they can't have too many stores in close proximity, so Bedlington could not become a food based ASDA.

The two proposals i've seen on the table, and these are still purely proposals, are an ASDA Living store, selling only non-food items, and an Argos.

• Like 1

:wtf: doubt this will happen as the asda in cowpen is far to close to warrant a big store like the one in ashington! plus the site is to small. the netto may get asda-fied but thats all! i think it will stay as a food store only there will be no george clothing, electricals etc

I've heard they did a postcode survey a while back, and found Bedlington was split 3 ways between Ashington, Blyth and Cramlington, and therefore did not need another store in the middle.

exactly just like there'll never be a mcdonalds in bedlington

Really?

There is also the monopoly thing, where they can't have too many stores in close proximity, so Bedlington could not become a food based ASDA.

The two proposals i've seen on the table, and these are still purely proposals, are an ASDA Living store, selling only non-food items, and an Argos.

Hope youre right. Travelling arround the country i did see a lot of retail parks etc. Its seems that what the big supermarkets want, they eventually get. Just look at Inverness, not a big place by any means, they have THREE large tesco stores and TESCO wants to build another

Hillbilly,

I think there is a bit of photoshop going on with any and all projected images for the new Tesco's store. The entrance will be facing the car park not Front Street so the inside will be at that level. That's fine if they made a bit more effort with the door at the Front Street side, which looks like a 'normal' double glazed door to me. That now gives concerns about what happens when you walk into the store from the Front Street as there has to be quite a drop down to new floor level. It may all work out in the detailed planning of course I just hope it remains a 'portal' onto Front Street and not a Cul-de-Sac!

I was told the Nettos workers were given their notices yesterday along with the Donkin ones?

Hillbilly,

I think there is a bit of photoshop going on with any and all projected images for the new Tesco's store. The entrance will be facing the car park not Front Street so the inside will be at that level. That's fine if they made a bit more effort with the door at the Front Street side, which looks like a 'normal' double glazed door to me. That now gives concerns about what happens when you walk into the store from the Front Street as there has to be quite a drop down to new floor level. It may all work out in the detailed planning of course I just hope it remains a 'portal' onto Front Street and not a Cul-de-Sac!

I was told the Nettos workers were given their notices yesterday along with the Donkin ones?

Would have thought that Netto staff would be transferred under T.U.P.E. regulations [unless they were offered redundancy by Netto -or Asda ]

Edited by keith

Hmm... so what is actually happening with Netto then. Have we been able to establish that Asda have DEFINATELY bought it? If so, what are their plans... they must have some if they have handed out notices to staff!?

Also, does anyone know the outcome of the review that happened on the 16th in relation to the new Tesco yet??

Hmm... so what is actually happening with Netto then. Have we been able to establish that Asda have DEFINATELY bought it? If so, what are their plans... they must have some if they have handed out notices to staff!?

Also, does anyone know the outcome of the review that happened on the 16th in relation to the new Tesco yet??

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/1041275/Netto-rebrand-Asda-New-Year-group-tops-20bn-annual-sales/

I believe the County gave planning permission to all Tesco's bids.

• 1 month later...

The staff in Greggs have been told Tesco has bought Elliots Garage,have you heard anything Malcolm?

As far as I know it did change hands but between brothers. The planning for a care home has been enacted? They got permission to demolish as long as the rebuild took place straightaway.

If you look at the plans which have been passed it will dominate the Market Place area as the building comes right out to the narrow footpath there. No wonder the planners lost the old school planning appeal!

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now