Tesco

normaL

I sent them an e-mail and gave them a little geography lesson Malcolm ......... I hope the good people of North Uist appreciate their new Morrison store.

If we all tackle what I think is place discrimination every time we see it at some point the message will get across that the North of England doesn't stop at Manchester! In fact as far as I am concerned Manchester is north midlands!

Also with a sustained campaign we will be promoting Bedlington anyway!

Already read one American international best-selling author who when describing the location of Newcastle said it was just to the South of Bedlington! Thanks very much Clive Cussler!

• Like 1

On the subject of Tesco and Morrisons etc. Schalsmuhle road, if I am not mistaken, was put built as a relief road for through traffic to avoid the front st, and as access to the estates to its north and police stn etc. With the development of Tesco and Morrison [with whatever they have in mind] Schalksmuhle road would then become an access road to these developments and to whoever else who cares to join them to create the Bedlington retail park [ it could happen] Will the front st become the through route again?, if not, where would there be a relief road to releive the relief road?

Keith,

You have to consider WDC always wanted to pedestrianise Front Street and all the ramifications that would have meant.

I know it's our twin town but couldn't they have picked a pronounceable name for this road!

Bedders would have been ideal to have something akin to the shopping centre at Cramlington where you have a large national supermarket at each end of the retail concourse. One end at the Monkey and the other at the Netto site with plenty of free parking either above or below the centre. Instead we get piecemeal developments which have actually detracted from the commercial possibilities. That should have been done 25 years+ ago and we would still be reaping the benefits now.

• Like 1

Keith,

You have to consider WDC always wanted to pedestrianise Front Street and all the ramifications that would have meant.

I know it's our twin town but couldn't they have picked a pronounceable name for this road!

Bedders would have been ideal to have something akin to the shopping centre at Cramlington where you have a large national supermarket at each end of the retail concourse. One end at the Monkey and the other at the Netto site with plenty of free parking either above or below the centre. Instead we get piecemeal developments which have actually detracted from the commercial possibilities. That should have been done 25 years+ ago and we would still be reaping the benefits now.

YES !*!@# council and !*!@# cooncilers, I KNOW I,m not the only one on here thats been saying this for DECADES way before this site went online ......... this town has been left to go to the dogs (excuse the pun)and these so called cooncilors have been yes men and women to the powers that be at the awld W.D.C but hey what do I know...........I KNOW I,m not daft,blind,deaf,stupid or a hinger on thats what we had as cooncilors PLENTY making their GOBS go but NO action.

• Like 2

Exactly Malcolm, if there was to be something like Manor Walks all good and well, but get it built and with proper access and parking etc.Dont just do it like they were playing with a big Leggo set. The other thing is, if through traffic was forced to use the front st again, the dog leg junction of Vulcan Place, Front street East, the Market Place and Church Lane would be a nightmare. There would need to be a roundabout put there. That would only be a couple of hundred yards from where Tesco are supposed to put the roundabout beside the Monkey. ASDA built that roundabout at Bebside, it worked at first but look at the mayhem now at busy times especially if you come off the spine road and are Blyth bound.

Edited by keith

Keith if you add in the 19 flats on the old school site and the 39 care home flats on the Elliots site this would indeed be a bloody nightmare! This could cause a 'rat run' through the estate on the 20 Acres through Millfield, across the road, down and along Beattie Road just to try and get to the Station, especially when all the schools are opening and closing. Nightmare isn't the word! :dribble: :dribble:

Would have thought that Netto staff would be transferred under T.U.P.E. regulations [unless they were offered redundancy by Netto -or Asda ]

Reading that link that Stephen posted [#47] Morrisons are doing right by the Netto staff. At least they move to Morrison with all their accrued entitlements intact and their employment is continuous. This means that they can't be made worse off.

Reading that link that Stephen posted [#47] Morrisons are doing right by the Netto staff. At least they move to Morrison with all their accrued entitlements intact and their employment is continuous. This means that they can't be made worse off.

Its called TUPE Keith........Transfer of Undertakings Protection of Employment.

They don't really have an option but it should mean the staff will be doing the same job so a little Morrison's must be on the cards...

Yes Malcolm , re posts #38 and #39 [ I don't know how to highlight them both cos I'm thick]. I have been transferred under T.U.P.E. regs myself in the past. The Netto staff could have been made redundant and then would have to re-apply for their jobs with Morrison. What I am trying to say is that under T.U.P.E. regs they have continuous employment and no loss of entitlements as per their Netto contracts. The new employer cannot make them worse off. When it happened to me, my old employer gave us new contracts just before the transfer, the new employer had to adhere to that contract for [ithink ] one year after the transfer.

Yes Malcolm , re posts #38 and #39 [ I don't know how to highlight them both cos I'm thick]. I have been transferred under T.U.P.E. regs myself in the past. The Netto staff could have been made redundant and then would have to re-apply for their jobs with Morrison. What I am trying to say is that under T.U.P.E. regs they have continuous employment and no loss of entitlements as per their Netto contracts. The new employer cannot make them worse off. When it happened to me, my old employer gave us new contracts just before the transfer, the new employer had to adhere to that contract for [ithink ] one year after the transfer.

keith,

There is no time limitations as per TUPE regs an employer has to honour an existing contract when transfer takes place. As you rightly say if a new employer wanted to change any terms or conditions then they would have to enter into a negotiation with the individual but cannot make him or her worse off.

anyone has any concerns the best thing to do is contact their Union or ACAS for advice.

• 3 months later...

Toffo there might be no time limitations on TUPE and you are correct in what you say for terms and conditions but,(you knew there was going to be a 'but') I was employed by BT (Print Centre) this was sold off to a company, EdoTech, yes our contracts were honoured in every capacity, but it was blatently obvious from the outset that they wanted us out and their own people in, and yes on minimum wage(Con if there ever was one, but that's another story) Everything we did was wrong, all the petty things came to bare. To cut a long story short, one by one the ex BT employees left for one reason or another even managers! My point is TUPE might work in the minds of those who think it is right, but if a new employer wants you out nothing will stop them achieving this, unions, laws, or whatever else you care to mention! So I don't think these people's jobs are as safe as made out!

Yes I did leave, but not before I took the Bar-stewards to court for unfair dismissal and yes I won, they settled out of court two month before the court case, they didn't have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately I can't go into details because of the documents I had to sign to get my cash. The only thing I can say is that 'It wasn't their fault!' Get the picture?

Keith if you add in the 19 flats on the old school site and the 39 care home flats on the Elliots site this would indeed be a bloody nightmare! This could cause a 'rat run' through the estate on the 20 Acres through Millfield, across the road, down and along Beattie Road just to try and get to the Station, especially when all the schools are opening and closing. Nightmare isn't the word! :dribble: :dribble:

also please spare a thought for us that live off hassop way with 1 road in and 1 road out iv seen me sit at junction for 10-15 min tryint to get out with the opening of larger stores ths is going to increase somewhat not to mention when that white stuff shows its face in winter months the traffic cant get up the bank next to nothumberland arms on to front street so heads my way seen the traffic at a stand still here for nearly an hour last winter whats goingt o happen in winter when stores open??? jump on our bikes nd use cycle path??? NO WAY READ MY POST ON THERE IF YOU WANNA NO WHY!!!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now