Big Cat

Merlin

What a coincidence that this is in our "local" paper today, it shows the typical camera used by hunters etc and it even snaps a Lynx! The article in the newspaper is quite a big spread and was based here in Grande Cache.

The Wilmore Park is the view out of my window.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Wolverines+Wild/3650234/story.html

Monsta, I think you will find that wild animals in Africa are more common than on the golf course as ,you see, they live there it is their natural habitat, or did that basic fact elude your rather tunnel vision :wacko: You will find that we are on about animals that have been imported or bred in captivity, that have either escaped or have been released into our countryside. Sunk in yet :rofl:

And by the way

91%20Norwich%20Lynx%20pic%20BBCS%20copy.jpg

Summer 1991 - Northern Lynx (Felis Lynx) shot near Beccles, Suffolk, after it killed about 15 sheep over a two-week period. After spending a short time in the farmers freezer it was sold on to a local game dealer - who then had it stuffed and sold it to a local collector - who apparently now has it on display in his house. The BBCS learnt about this previous unreported story last year and have unearthed the only pictures of it to exist.

A lynx was shot dead by R.U.C. marksman near the village of Fintona on the 18th of February 1996. The shooting followed days of reports of a 'young lion' in the area. The lynx, which was wearing a collar, was believed to have escaped from a private collection.

The body was suupposedly stuffed and placed in the R.U.C. museum.

A lynx was captured in London after a witness report of a leopard sat on a garden wall. The lynx was captured after being sedated by a vet with a dart and blow pipe. She was taken to London zoo and treated for a paw injury, she was given the name Lara there. (2001)

Edited by Merlin

still people in africa (a much larger conenant than little old england) can track big cats!

'People in Africa', and elsewhere, also discover plenty of species they didn't know existed, every year. Mammals, birds, reptiles - the whole lot - are being discovered all the time. If we can miss them, we can miss animals that we don't expect to be in our midst, too. As merlin confirms with those pictures, it's not in doubt that there are Lynx alive in the UK.

Merlin - you should read Fortean Times, if you love this sort of stuff you'd love that! I have plenty of back issues should you want them!

Monsta, I think you will find that wild animals in Africa are more common than on the golf course as ,you see, they live there it is their natural habitat, or did that basic fact elude your rather tunnel vision :wacko: You will find that we are on about animals that have been imported or bred in captivity, that have either escaped or have been released into our countryside. Sunk in yet :rofl:

And by the way

91%20Norwich%20Lynx%20pic%20BBCS%20copy.jpg

Summer 1991 - Northern Lynx (Felis Lynx) shot near Beccles, Suffolk, after it killed about 15 sheep over a two-week period. After spending a short time in the farmers freezer it was sold on to a local game dealer - who then had it stuffed and sold it to a local collector - who apparently now has it on display in his house. The BBCS learnt about this previous unreported story last year and have unearthed the only pictures of it to exist.

A lynx was shot dead by R.U.C. marksman near the village of Fintona on the 18th of February 1996. The shooting followed days of reports of a 'young lion' in the area. The lynx, which was wearing a collar, was believed to have escaped from a private collection.

The body was suupposedly stuffed and placed in the R.U.C. museum.

A lynx was captured in London after a witness report of a leopard sat on a garden wall. The lynx was captured after being sedated by a vet with a dart and blow pipe. She was taken to London zoo and treated for a paw injury, she was given the name Lara there. (2001)

those stories sound a bit --- snowfish.jpg !!!!

'People in Africa', and elsewhere, also discover plenty of species they didn't know existed, every year. Mammals, birds, reptiles - the whole lot - are being discovered all the time. If we can miss them, we can miss animals that we don't expect to be in our midst, too. As merlin confirms with those pictures, it's not in doubt that there are Lynx alive in the UK.

Merlin - you should read Fortean Times, if you love this sort of stuff you'd love that! I have plenty of back issues should you want them!

the words of wisdom from the one who thinks lynx are common in england! :lol:

the words of wisdom from the one who thinks lynx are common in england! :lol:

Common? Who said they were common? Me? I don't think I did, Monsta, and I didn't even imply it. I said - and I don't think you need reminding really - that it's not disputed that Lynx are living in the wild in the UK; I didn't say they were commonplace at all.

The expert commentary given by Pete - interesting it is too - includes this snippet:

"Are there big cats loose in Britain?

Very probably. I am not going to deny that non-native felids are loose in Britain. They have been kept as exotic pets and in menageries for centuries and there has been ample opportunity for big cats to escape wither accidentally (enclosure damaged by storms etc) or deliberately (released into the wild by the owner). Recent escapes and recaptures are documented as are the captures of a Puma and a European Lynx, both of unknown provenance. Jungle Cats (F chaus, a small non-native species) have been found dead on the roadside. However, no big cats have been found dead by the roadside and no recent skeletal remains have been found in open areas, so their numbers in the wild would be very low. "

He doesn't say they are common either but, like me, says that it is not denied there are such cats on the loose in the UK.

Common? Who said they were common? Me? I don't think I did, Monsta, and I didn't even imply it. I said - and I don't think you need reminding really - that it's not disputed that Lynx are living in the wild in the UK; I didn't say they were commonplace at all.

The expert commentary given by Pete - interesting it is too - includes this snippet:

"Are there big cats loose in Britain?

Very probably. I am not going to deny that non-native felids are loose in Britain. They have been kept as exotic pets and in menageries for centuries and there has been ample opportunity for big cats to escape wither accidentally (enclosure damaged by storms etc) or deliberately (released into the wild by the owner). Recent escapes and recaptures are documented as are the captures of a Puma and a European Lynx, both of unknown provenance. Jungle Cats (F chaus, a small non-native species) have been found dead on the roadside. However, no big cats have been found dead by the roadside and no recent skeletal remains have been found in open areas, so their numbers in the wild would be very low. "

He doesn't say they are common either but, like me, says that it is not denied there are such cats on the loose in the UK.

I would agree that there are big cats loose in this country but in very small numbers. The problem I see would be in the breeding of these cats in the wild, male would have to find female or vice versa and even then it would not prove breeding has taken place.

Considering the number of years big cats have been sighted I think if breeding had took place in the wild then we would be seeing more of them. Mind you I have no idea how fast they populate in thier native countries.

I would agree that there are big cats loose in this country but in very small numbers. The problem I see would be in the breeding of these cats in the wild, male would have to find female or vice versa and even then it would not prove breeding has taken place.

Considering the number of years big cats have been sighted I think if breeding had took place in the wild then we would be seeing more of them. Mind you I have no idea how fast they populate in thier native countries.

This is the most pressing conundrum in the whole issue, Pete; breeding, it has to be said, could only take place in very unlikely circumstances. The thing about us not seeing them, though, is somewhat contentious; it's often forgotten, with us being such a relatively small country, that there are hundreds of thousands of square miles of moorland, forest and the like that are visited by people very rarely. A Lynx, or other big cat, isn't likely to die by the side of a road - and as I've driven for 28 years now and never hit a domestic moggie a collision with one is quite unlikely - but out in the wilds, where it chooses to live, away from us.

It would be great if we could 'prove' the existence of the Golf Course Lynx - would be even bigger news than Tommy the Egg man!

Instead of British Big Cat Society it could be Bedlington Big Cat Society, still BBC.s Somehow I don't think the golf club or farmers would be very happy with a load of wild life enthusiasts trampling over their course, and surrounding fields.

Anyway another two golfers have come forward to say they saw a big cat on the course, this time in the park area!

do these words not ring a bell "You're probably more likely to see a lynx!" implying there is a larger population of lynx in the uk than scottish wild cats!

number of scottish wild cats 400+

number of lynx a possible 2 - 3 escapees!

do these words not ring a bell "You're probably more likely to see a lynx!" implying there is a larger population of lynx in the uk than scottish wild cats!

You will probably find it is less than 400

Today less than 400 Scottish wildcats remain in the wild and the extinction of Britain's last large mammal predator could come within the next five years.

No angry tabby or feral the wildcat is a genuine wild species of cat; it was here long before we were and long before the domestic cat had even evolved. Infamously the only wild animal to be completely untameable, even when captive reared, Scottish wildcats may look a little like your pet cat but these are incredibly tough super-predators, sometimes called the Tiger of the Highlands.

Sadly, our wildcat is critically endangered with less than 400 individuals remaining in the wild and barely a handful in the captive breeding population.

Operative words 'May look a little like your pet cat'

As such, not a big cat! Wrong colour, wrong size! And doesn't answer to "Here kitty kitty" :whistle: So this rules out what was reportedly seen on the golf course as a Scottish wild cat! These cats are also super secretive, even in their home habitat they are rarely seen.

There is one point to come out of this discussion. We are all agreed that something out of the ordinary WAS seen on Bedlington Golf Course! :rolleyes:

You really should be careful when quoting people to get the context, and the quote itself, correct; it's quite easy to go back a couple of pages and read that I wrote:

"but when was the last time a Scottish Wild Cat was seen in England? You're probably more likely to see a lynx!"

I wasn't talking about the UK, but England. The Scottish Wild Cat is believed, like the Lynx is, to be extinct in England - that's the bit south of the border above which the Jocks live - and sightings in England have not been reported for a very, very long time. On the other hand, we know of Lynx released in the wild in England.

As the general consensus is that there are no Scottish Wild Cats beneath - or indeed near - the border, and yet even the expert quoted by Pete admits there are likely to be 'very small numbers' of big cats, including Lynx, in England, the chances are, statistically, that you are more likely to see a lynx. Never once did I imply they were common, which to me means everyday, easy to see, ordinary.

There is one point to come out of this discussion. We are all agreed that something out of the ordinary WAS seen on Bedlington Golf Course! :rolleyes:

thats why i offered a more sensible idea that it might be a wild cat wether true scottish or a hybrid from behind the post office who knows! but then it turns into your more likely to see a lynx even though they've been extinct for the last 2500 years!!!!! but your more likely to see one!!!!

your more likely to see dumbo break dancing on the 18th!

on a more likely note what looked like a big cat could have been a deer if only seen for an instant before it bounds away! and alot more common than the lynx!

thats why i offered a more sensible idea that it might be a wild cat wether true scottish or a hybrid from behind the post office who knows! but then it turns into your more likely to see a lynx even though they've been extinct for the last 2500 years!!!!! but your more likely to see one!!!!

your more likely to see dumbo break dancing on the 18th!

on a more likely note what looked like a big cat could have been a deer if only seen for an instant before it bounds away! and alot more common than the lynx!

The deer suggestion is very plausible indeed, but I would suggest that most people can tell the difference between bambi and a larger than your average !*!@# cat. i would also suggest that deer ARE common on the golf course and around. The thing is, what you're missing is that if what was seen turns out to be a Scottish Wild Cat that would be considerably more interestign to naturalists (no, Monsta, they are not people who don't wear clothes) than a Lynx as, as has been pointed out to you but conveniently ignored, there are Lynx known to have been released into th wild in England while the Wildcat hasn't been seen here for hundreds of years. Take the wallabies in Derbyshire - if I had told you you were more likely to see a wallaby in Derbyshire than a wildcat you would have resorted to your trusty wikipedia and ranted on about wallabies bein native to Australia and how they were not only extinct here but nver were here in the first place! The fact is, however, that you are more likely to see a wallaby in Derbyshire than a wildcat, as there are wallabies, but not wildcats. Are you getting the picture? If there are wildcats in England, then that is very, very interesting news indeed, as they are just as extinct in England as the Lynx.

It's a case of recognition - big !*!@# with tufty ears and bushy tail that slinks away quietly into the bushes, or little bambi with scrawny legs and hoofs that sort of trots and bounds away into the bushes in a panic. You would, I'm sure, tell the difference?

PS - who on earth decided to censor !*!@#?

Edited by mercuryg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now