Dun Cow Public House

tomtom

Brave, but i don't think too foolish...

I stand by my thoughts on this, wetherspoons in bedlington can only be a good thing, and may help towards reviving the old weekends we all remember.

The only thorn in my eyes is the Blue Bell.

I'm not shy of a pub thats a little rough and ready, but even i don't see any appeal in the place. I walk past it regularly from the Wharton to the Top Club, but i think most of my feeling toward the place is based on the past and is no reflection on the present owners.

If that place could be made appealing again too, somehow, then we would have quite the pub crawl again!

wetherspoons in bedlington can only be a good thing, and may help towards reviving the old weekends we all remember.

While I agree entirely with the Red Lion opening being a good thing (i'm not fussed about Wetherspoons to be honest but if they are the ones so be it) I don't see why it will lead to a sudden increase in people spending weekend evenings out in Bedlington again. Very few people are going to come here especially to visit Wetherspoons (just as very few do to visit Tesco's) and the main clientele is clearly going to consist of those of us who do go out for a pint going there for a taste of something new. People stay in on Fridays and Saturdays because they have stocked up on cheap beer at home; Wetherspoons isn't going to change that, and nor is its presence going to give everyone a sudden payrise. Sorry to appear to be putting a downer on it - I'm looking forward to it opening - but in terms of 'reviving the town' I really think a lot more is needed, and doubt that Bedlington will ever return to the heady heights we remember from years gone by. People simply cannot afford it - even at Wetherspoons prices.

Of course more needs to be done, but the very presence of a "cheeper than most", half decent pub means it will now be worth my while to travel to bedlington on a saturday night again, instead of staying in my home town to avoid high travel costs.

Now those travel costs can be offset against a cheap night and hopefully a livelier atmosphere as more and more come back.

Its a definite start!

Of course more needs to be done, but the very presence of a "cheeper than most", half decent pub means it will now be worth my while to travel to bedlington on a saturday night again,

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! DON'T OPEN WETHERSPOONS, PLEASE, NOT THE RETURN OF DARN! CAN BEDDERS COPE?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now