Vulcan Xh558

Andy Brown

Anyone else see it today heading East at approx 13:00 over Blyth ? According to http://www.vulcantot...ppearances.htm,l it must have been on it's way to Leuchars Airshow. Sadly not able to take a pic as my pathetic camera wouldn't have managed the zoom, but the shape and noise was unmistakeable, so have attached a pic by someone with a much better camera (though not taken today)

post-21-089543500 1284233978_thumb.jpg

And who can remember the 'V' Bombers (Victor, Valiant, Vulcan) at the Acklington air shows around 1960 when they were fully operational? Without today's H&S and security hang-ups you could get almost close enough to touch, even when they were taxiing.

Real flying displays by the early jet fighters, and not simply static exhibits. The RAF had a genuine German V1 that you could walk around and inspect close-up, and many other interesting exhibits in the Acklington hangars.

A long time ago i can remember a Vulcan flying over our home in Wollongong N.S.W, when we lived there, it was on a non stop flight around the world i can't remember the year i know i was fairly young at the time...good memory

Hi Brian,

Would that be 1961?

On 20-21 June 1961 the first non-stop UK - Australia flight was made by a Vulcan of 617 Squadron. The flight involved three aerial refuellings

(FWIW I was in Wolongong 1994, nice museum!)

Yes Vic 1961 sounds good the Vulcan was a great aircraft and it was good to see it fly over us, Wollongong is a great city i have not been back there for a few years now...........cheers Vic

Yes it certainly was a Vulcan, the only one flying in the world and kept going through public subscriptions. On the same day, a Spitfire was also seen flying North, presumably to the same air show.

Yes it certainly was a Vulcan, the only one flying in the world and kept going through public subscriptions. On the same day, a Spitfire was also seen flying North, presumably to the same air show.

Also with the Great North Run being on, the Red Arrows did a few flyovers of Bedlington and Blyth which I've never seen them do before.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now