The Traffic In And Out Of Meadowdale Middle School

debrad65

Toffo,

I think the real trouble here is the insane usage of what is really a cut into a back lane for a school entrance. With the increase in pupils there the problem was always going to escalate.

It isn't just Bedders which has this problem, this keeps cropping up time and time again at County Council Area Meetings with areas in Blyth and Cramlington being similarly affected. The answer is almost always yellow paint but that doesn't really solve the problem.

For whatever reasons, and some will be valid, a lot of parents have decided to drop their kids off as close to their schools as possible. That should be catered for in this day and age not criminalised.

As for a 5 minute walk if everyone took that on board probably 99% of the traffic problems would disappear!

heres a completely mad idea!!!

1 Block off the entrance to beni's behind ridge terrace!!! (even to foot traffic) a 6 foot fence would do it!

post-693-059066300 1289037328_thumb.jpg

2. make the only entance to beni's here

post-693-056987600 1289037455_thumb.jpg

sorted!!

now then they can have there crossing further down the road! :huh::D:lol:

Merlin,

In a former life I looked out onto that Glebe Road crossing every day and I saw and heard many near misses and sometimes hits! If they had filled the subway in and put that crossing on top of that location it would leave far more spaces for cars to wait while people crossed the dual carriageway. That would stop the roundabout blockages which occur at peak times.

Also if you consider driving up Front Street and turning right down to Choppington you are on top of that crossing almost before you see it, certainly if you don't know it's there. You look left to make sure the traffic stops at the Red Lion then left again to make sure it stops at the Wharton then your turning off the roundabout to hit a crossing straightaway. It's a pitiful design going down that road, coming up quite the opposite because cars see pedestrians in plenty of time and are able to stop without causing a backup.

On a personal note try driving up to that roundabout from Ridge Terrace and turning left onto the dual carriageway in a left hooker.

Toffo,

I think the real trouble here is the insane usage of what is really a cut into a back lane for a school entrance. With the increase in pupils there the problem was always going to escalate.

It isn't just Bedders which has this problem, this keeps cropping up time and time again at County Council Area Meetings with areas in Blyth and Cramlington being similarly affected. The answer is almost always yellow paint but that doesn't really solve the problem.

For whatever reasons, and some will be valid, a lot of parents have decided to drop their kids off as close to their schools as possible. That should be catered for in this day and age not criminalised.

As for a 5 minute walk if everyone took that on board probably 99% of the traffic problems would disappear!

Malcolm I agree the lane into the school is absolutely shocking, on a daily basis I see the buses carry out miracle manouvres to gain entry. Also I know it's a problem in most areas of NCC, but it can so easily be resolved with some small investment of set laid down actions.

Most people who drop their kids off are within a short walk of the schools or are able bodied enough to use the ample parking in the town and walk in.

Yes there has to be an allowance parents to drop off as close to the school as possible and I agree their should be proper provision for them who need it with a waiting limit.

Has there ever been a survey carried out as to who parks and why, then maybe the NCC can look at what the best way forward can be?

Toffo,

NCC are carrying out a 'traffic survey' at the moment and this should be exactly what is highlighted. The cynic in me would suggest it may well be a justification exercise for imposing parking charges throughout South East Northumberland! There is an online survey anyone can fill out as well as several public meetings but as I noted on another thread we (and Newbiggin) don't seem to warrant having a public meeting here to discuss the issues?

Toffo,

NCC are carrying out a 'traffic survey' at the moment and this should be exactly what is highlighted. The cynic in me would suggest it may well be a justification exercise for imposing parking charges throughout South East Northumberland! There is an online survey anyone can fill out as well as several public meetings but as I noted on another thread we (and Newbiggin) don't seem to warrant having a public meeting here to discuss the issues?

Traffic survey! what will that do apart from waste a bit of money!!!

implement my plan and the traffic worries and parking issues will dissapear over night al for the cost of a bit 6 foot fence!

Andy, If any body can exceed 20mph at school times they must be driving on the path! But I know what you mean. It's not the point of them dropping off their kids that bugs me, it's where and how they park. Never mind half on half off brigade, it's the full car on the road brigade on both sides of the road,that bug me, then they insist on getting their kids out of the car on the side of the traffic! They seem oblivious to the mayhem they are causing and would be the first to shout if some one took their door off! Is it a game they play to see who can park nearest the school?

Merlin, our estate is a large oval, the rule of thumb seems to be if they can't turn round at the top safely, they will race round to get back to the top as soon as possible, it's not just school times which are the problem it's weekends (when kids are playing out) and nights, though now it's the darker nights the kids aren't playing out, but that's beside the point. There is a large green in the centre which has bushes planted round it where kids play that old favourite 'Let's cross the road without looking', only a matter of time before there is an accident. I'm starting to record repeat offenders number plates, for the record the parents tend to be ok.

Andy, I see where you are on about now! Mostly your lot of parkers are from W/End? Yes they are very considerate how they park at the top of that road as well! As for recording no plates mmmmm, I had the bright idea of taking photo's and of taking video recordings of the traffic and parking issues, but was gently reminded that there are a lot of school children about at the time!!! So that idea went straight out the window!

Monsta, to completely block off Bennies entrance at Ridge Terrace is simply silly :dribble: Now if they were to put some of them plates in at the entrance, you know the one's I mean they allow you to enter but pop back up so you can't exit, now that would solve one little problem. Maybe we need lots of little ideas instead of looking for one big idea to solve our problems! :)

Monsta, to completely block off Bennies entrance at Ridge Terrace is simply silly :dribble: Now if they were to put some of them plates in at the entrance, you know the one's I mean they allow you to enter but pop back up so you can't exit, now that would solve one little problem. Maybe we need lots of little ideas instead of looking for one big idea to solve our problems! :)

its not if you think about it! if you blocked it of nobody would be parking on ridge terrace! them buses would have to go round to the other exit and the kids would all be crossing down next to ridge farm, where there is already an island in place!

just like to say that its about time that the Police have finally started stopping people parking along ridge terrace in stupid places which could cause an accident, especially to 2 idiotic people who think that they can park about 2ft from the curb on those zigzag lines next to a crossing. all police need to do now is to do the same at 3.15pm

Andy, I see where you are on about now! Mostly your lot of parkers are from W/End? Yes they are very considerate how they park at the top of that road as well! As for recording no plates mmmmm, I had the bright idea of taking photo's and of taking video recordings of the traffic and parking issues, but was gently reminded that there are a lot of school children about at the time!!! So that idea went straight out the window!

Hi Merlin, I wasn't going to record near the school (not that daft), it was more the idiots who fly round the estate past the house (it tends not to be parents, more people turning round or taxis), and yes it is the West End lot, it has gotten a lot better this week since the notice from the Police, I would like a speed limit notice placed at the top of the estate, may see about this next week

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is a 'solution' or at least one everyone will be happy with. There may well be making the best of a bad job, but outright solution??????? That would cost money and in this financial environment new capital costs will probably be the first thing to go as departments try and maintain what they already have.

Both Ridge Terrace and the Ridge Farm entrances are less than suitable whatever way they are played out, what is needed is a ring road around the back with dedicated school entrances which would take all West End and St Benet's school traffic off the B1331 leaving only the Meadowdale traffic to contend with.

OH! Yes there is a solution! Bring back Perry, get the clamps out, I'll be his apprentice, I'll clamp anybody and anyone who has the temerity to park any where in and around the schools mwhahah mwhaha! Traffic Wardens Rool Ok :dribble: :dribble: NCC get the parking meters out, look at the money you are losing :devil: :devil: Get the tow trucks in operation. The police could hit their targets for a month in one day if they pulled their proverbial finger out.Get the cameras erected, put a bus lane in, get the yellow paint out, get the humps put in, bring back public hanging! Jesus I got a sweat on! An' that's against my religion :dribble: :dribble:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OH! Yes there is a solution! Bring back Perry, get the clamps out, I'll be his apprentice, I'll clamp anybody and anyone who has the temerity to park any where in and around the schools mwhahah mwhaha! Traffic Wardens Rool Ok :dribble: :dribble: NCC get the parking meters out, look at the money you are losing :devil: :devil: Get the tow trucks in operation. The police could hit their targets for a month in one day if they pulled their proverbial finger out.Get the cameras erected, put a bus lane in, get the yellow paint out, get the humps put in, bring back public hanging! Jesus I got a sweat on! An' that's against my religion :dribble: :dribble:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now