The Traffic In And Out Of Meadowdale Middle School

debrad65

Mr Darn, you are on overkill here. What kind of time scale do you want for the poor kids who are buried in the cemetery, or anyone else for that matter! As for the allotments, we are trying to solve the problem of entry and exit from the schools not magnify the problem! Back to the cemetery, I have family buried there, to suggest putting the allotments there is an abomination. I do not fancy digging up any of my relatives to plant a few brussel sprouts! :|

Please do not mention moving the allotments, you never know who is reading this and we wouldn't want to give them any funny ideas :thumbsdown:

Of course i don't mean the new area of the cemetery! I also have family there.

I was refering to the area where all the conker tree's are, with graves dating back to the 1800's.

Personally, i still think 150 years is too soon, i was just wondering if there was a time limit on how long these areas stayed as graveyards before being re-used as graveyards, or used as something else.

Also the tier system wouldn't cut the taffic at all. You should see them parking at 11:45am to pick their kids up. No Mr Darn I think it's back to the drawing board here :beer:

These people must be picking up nursery kids surely. Since the nursery there is basically a tarted up portakabin, i'm sure it wouldn't take much relocating to a more accessible area.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure alot of drawing board work is needed, i'm just throwing out ideas there.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure alot of drawing board work is needed, i'm just throwing out ideas there.

Keep them coming Mr D, if the solution was easy.......far more likley to come from an off the wall comment!

For instance, if Tescos enforce 2-3hr parking only for their customers in the car park at the back of the store what about getting them to build a first floor parking for other people on top of that area and make it conditional on their planning permission so we don't loose the most used car park in the town.

Tesco's would be daft to implement strict rules, or to remove the current throughfare.

Many a time have i parked at the back, to walk through Tesco's on my way to Greggs, when a Magazine or lottery ticket has caught my eye on the way past, or i've used Tesco instead of my Discount at ASDA just because of the sheer convenience, as i'm passing through anyway.

As for a second storey, unless they were going to implement parking charges, they just wouldn't go to the expense without a return. And that could be done just as easily with the current car-park, with a barrier system and a "validate my parking instore or pay" system.

Next new stupid venture to the entrance to Bennies, a Toucan crossing under the guise of the new cycle way :wtf2: YOOHOO :wave: There's one next to West End school already, has this jobsworth trying to justify his/her cooooncil job not been told, or had a look for themselves. This will only make the traffic 1000 times worse and the entry/exit to Ridge Terrace virtually impossible at school times. And you can guarantee that these lights will work against each other :thumbsdown: Come on NCC get a !*!@# grip :argue:

Next new stupid venture to the entrance to Bennies, a Toucan crossing under the guise of the new cycle way :wtf2: YOOHOO :wave: There's one next to West End school already, has this jobsworth trying to justify his/her cooooncil job not been told, or had a look for themselves. This will only make the traffic 1000 times worse and the entry/exit to Ridge Terrace virtually impossible at school times. And you can guarantee that these lights will work against each other :thumbsdown: Come on NCC get a !*!@# grip :argue:

Town Council have this on their agenda for Thursday night...........

There may be a solution for the First school at least.

I have read in this weeks News Post Leader, that the area of land behind the Red Lion is for sale. [Re: Page 69, centre-top advert] (What used to be Kenton's storage yard) seen in the picture below, marked by the green square.

Bedlington-1.jpg

Now, obviously nothing can be done with the area marked with the red arrow, as this is the reservoir (so i am lead to believe).

For those that don't know, the blue arrow points to the First School, and an entrance could be made where the Orange arrow points to create a safe entry point from the area for sale.

A one way system could be put in place, so you enter the area from The Wharton access (current) and a hole made in the lower section of the green square to create an exit via catholic row, and straight back onto the Red Lion roundabout. A "No right turn" could be enforced, making those coming from the Ridge Farm end use the Red Lion roundabout to turn and access from the correct way.

Now for the area.

Could a deal be struck with Wetherspoons, whereby they buy and maintain the area for development into an extended carpark for their business use, allowing parents to use the back end during pick-up and drop-off times (which should be quiet times for the pub it's self, save Dinnertime pick-up's) ??

I'm not sure what they could be offered, but something along the lines of "you buy the land, and we'll landscape it for you" couldn't be a bad deal?

This could also be used by parents of the other school (which i know as Bennies) who could use the top "back" entrance to access the school.

Before you rip this to bits, its just an idea!!! Any thoughts?

Some good points there but to be honest I can't see them working, sorry.

A more radical plan would be to ban all parents cars from school premises and make the whole area around these schools Residents parking only. There are adequate car parks up from Netto which entails a short walk to all these schools!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the petition went in yesterday against the crossing. Also 7 letters of objection from residents, that's the ones I know about! One thing bothers me though, the sneaky cooncil have already dropped the curbs and marked in paint where the poles are going as well as putting a new drain in! I may be wrong, as I frequently am, but seeing as the date for objections was yesterday (22nd). Should the cooncil have done this? It seems, as I said in a previous post, that I have been wasting my time, that this crossing was a fore gone conclusion no matter what objections were raised! :angry:

Now, obviously nothing can be done with the area marked with the red arrow, as this is the reservoir (so i am lead to believe).

are you sure it could be an underground bunker or a store where they keep the golf course lynx!!!!

Some good points there but to be honest I can't see them working, sorry.

A more radical plan would be to ban all parents cars from school premises and make the whole area around these schools Residents parking only. There are adequate car parks up from Netto which entails a short walk to all these schools!

walk WALK what you mean WALK? you expect the hakky lazy parents to WALK! when they can just park and block up the whole street! WALK now come on! :lol:

? It seems, as I said in a previous post, that I have been wasting my time, that this crossing was a fore gone conclusion no matter what objections were raised! :angry:

Beg to differ Merlin, you and others have made a difference to this one! :jump: In fact I will wager a daft penny there won't be a toucan crossing at that junction now!

Still got the 'original' problem of course............

• 2 weeks later...

Well the police were at the entrance to Bennies on Wednesday and Thursday as well as West End school and the Red Lion roundabout. They were there at school times, what for I don't know. Maybe to monitor the situation. Well seen they weren't there on Friday! People parking on the yellow zig-zag school keep clear signs also parking opposite them, they were also double parking along Ridge Terrace, they also, I say 'they' I mean one inconsiderate 'Blimp' decided in her wisdom to block the back road, no in or out for 35 mins while she dropped sprog off and had a chat with all and sundry. So we obviously can't have a police presence every day the cost would be astronomical, but without it we are at the mercy of the 'Blimps'! :angry:

The pupils from West End had a letter from Northumbria Police advising of the situation and that it was being monitored, tbh I know parents have to drop their kids off and that isn't the problem, it's the inconsiderate 'blimps' and the park half on/half off the kerb brigade. Although I also know they are trying to keep their kids safe as well as trying to be considerate to drivers trying to get past so it's a catch 22 situation, but at the same time those of us walking on the path have trouble getting past when they leave their doors wide open and are standing chatting.

I'm going to have a word with the police about the speeders/taxis/morons who seem to think we live on a race track, there's times they are in excess of 20mph which doesn't seem a lot but when there's parked cars and young kids about it's a lot.

easy solutions to this:

A) Issue fixed penalty notices to any vehicle casuing an obstruction or illegally parking (suprising how fast word gets out and having to part with £60 for the priveledge of dropping kids off changes peoples attitudes)

B ) Implement Resident permits same as what Newcastle did

C) Build the school on Hazelmere which was originally planned

Edited by toffo

There was talk about lollipop men and women becoming traffic wardens after they do their normal hours and at a guess I would think the one at Ridge Terrace could pay for himself many times over! Again this is not the solution but until a sensible solution to the problem is found the box of sticking plasters will always be kept at hand.

Andy, If any body can exceed 20mph at school times they must be driving on the path! But I know what you mean. It's not the point of them dropping off their kids that bugs me, it's where and how they park. Never mind half on half off brigade, it's the full car on the road brigade on both sides of the road,that bug me, then they insist on getting their kids out of the car on the side of the traffic! They seem oblivious to the mayhem they are causing and would be the first to shout if some one took their door off! Is it a game they play to see who can park nearest the school?

Toffo,

Don't think we are going to see any new schools built in the foreseeable, seeing as the proposed Academy one at the Station has been scrapped and existing ones cannot even get the funds to cover necessary repairs and maintenance.

Resident parking schemes are too complicated to work out in a lot of cases. As a 'visitor' you usually have to be a mathematical genius to work out if you are allowed to park there and at what times. They also carry some degree of administration charge and that can be wiped out with a can of yellow paint!

I think the yellow paint option will be the one NCC go for and back it up with an initial splurge on any violators. Personally I think they should just use a 'clearway' at certain times so as not to penalise residents who know full well not to park near that junction at school times.

As for blocking the back lane Merlin, that happened many times when I lived there. I found that blocking them in and walking away for a cuppa usually had the desired effect!

I agree Merlin but I think you will find that until there is a FATALITY an Authority doesn't really HAVE to do something. Seems like locking the door after the horse has bolted to me. I would have thought in these cases prevention is of paramount importance?

I think the crossing at the top of Glebe Road is another accident waiting to happen and the zebra crossing at the Northumberland corner another one, don't know how you would get around that one though?

Malcolm,

I agree the School has very little chance of being built,as for the resident parking scheme no doubt the council could use some of the impending parking fee cash towards the funding of it.

I have just introduced fixed penalty issuing in my place of work due to similar problems, and believe me once a few are handed out it has the desired effect!

Also if a driver needs a Police Officer to stand and advise him or her that they shouldn't park on yellow lines or cause an obstruction (as seen this week) then to be honest they deserve a fixed penalty, the authorities have carried out this exercise on several occasions without any success - hit somebody for 30 or 60 quid the idea gets to them a lot quicker!

Theres no excuse for parking arrogance especially in Bedlington with the amount of parking spaces within a maximum 5 minute walk!

I think there is a fair case for lights at the crossing at the top of Glebe Road. As it stands at the moment it is very dangerous for pedestrians especially if they are crossing on the netto side, if a bus/lorry is waiting there drivers views are obstructed and are the buses/lorries waiting for traffic or are they letting pedestrians cross. Locals know about the crossing and are careful as they approach the crossing in such circumstances. Strangers to this are not so careful and I have witnessed some very near misses. Also I think people, especially children, need to be made aware that they do NOT have a God given right to step out into traffic when using crossings!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now