Gone In A Flash! (Your Money That Is!)

threegee

Beware of buying cheap memory - particularly cheap flash memory - on e-Bay. A 32GB memory stick for £20 seems like a bargain. To some it is, because all they do is plug it into their machine and move a Gig or two of files onto it. Weeks or months later it goes faulty - or that's how it seems. The fact is it was never a 32GB (or 64Gb or 128GB) device in the first place. It probably won't even give you the full capacity of the 4GB chip inside either; because that's a factory reject with too many bad cells to make 4GB USB sticks with. These chips should go in the bin; and they probably have, before being fished out by low-paid workers and sold-on to back street factories to make "high-capacity" memory sticks with.

Your computer believes what the device says about its storage capacity, and you believe what your computer tells you. That's how they get away with it for just long enough to disappear with your money.

Don't pay any attention to the positive feedback either. That conman or woman working from a Far East flat has built it up by shill bidding on their own stuff. And they are happily building up fake feedback on other accounts to switch to when the heat is turned up on the current ones. Some of the early buyers they have duped will help them along with this too. Save the link and revisit later to see what real customers think.

http://feedback.e-bay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=aaaservice_2010&ftab=AllFeedback

(Note: remove dash in e-bay to get link to work)

• 4 months later...

Here's a particularly blatant one; and the dummies who run e-Bay are actually promoting it in their targeted ads!

http://cgi.e-bay.co....em=160522621381

157 suckers and counting. The only recent bad feedback the seller currently has is for the "128GB" one here:

http://cgi.e-bay.co....em=160522620555

And that buyer hasn't even taken the trouble to tell anyone why he's unhappy!

Wonder how many people will test it to capacity on receipt, and worse, how many will think they've taken a good backup of their valuable data! :rolleyes:

Caveat e-Bay!

[ Important Note: remove the dash in e-bay to get links to work. ]

We're now up to 199 suckers, and only one person has sussed out it's a scam but seems resigned to not getting a refund!

The torrent of bad feedback will be a short while coming I think! At which point the seller account will be abandoned - as usual! Why is there no one at e-bay who has the elementary common sense to stop this happening? It's not as if they weren't making large profits and so couldn't afford to police their listings properly.

• Like 1

if its a scam why not report them to e-bay?

personally i think there just b grade items they bought from a factory like the pair of sony headphones i got! nowt wrong just the packaging was damaged!

these are probably the same you just got to "pay your money and take your chance!" could be perfect or could simply not work! :shiftyninja:

if its a scam why not report them to e-bay?

personally i think there just b grade items they bought from a factory like the pair of sony headphones i got! nowt wrong just the packaging was damaged!

these are probably the same you just got to "pay your money and take your chance!" could be perfect or could simply not work! :shiftyninja:

Because I think that e-Bay passively encourage this sort of thing because they make money out of it. Dealing them when you have to is like knocking your head against a brick wall, and in this case I don't have to, so I won't! My duty is to consumers, and not to do the job of a faceless American megacorp, which seems only bent on making money out of sellers, and not looking after buyer interests.

You obviously haven't read what I wrote earlier. These flash devices only store a small part of the data submitted to them, but just enough to pass a cursory acceptance test by a gullible buyer. They are totally worthless, and deliberately built as scam devices. If they were just factory seconds they'd still report their paltry capacity correctly. They are A COMPLETE FRAUD; no excuses; no other interpretation.They are also dangerous, in that they are sold as data backup devices, and so could easily result in the loss of costly or irreplaceable data.

Because I think that e-Bay passively encourage this sort of thing because they make money out of it. Dealing them when you have to is like knocking your head against a brick wall, and in this case I don't have to, so I won't! My duty is to consumers, and not to do the job of a faceless American megacorp, which seems only bent on making money out of sellers, and not looking after buyer interests.

You obviously haven't read what I wrote earlier. These flash devices only store a small part of the data submitted to them, but just enough to pass a cursory acceptance test by a gullible buyer. They are totally worthless, and deliberately built as scam devices. If they were just factory seconds they'd still report their paltry capacity correctly. They are A COMPLETE FRAUD; no excuses; no other interpretation.They are also dangerous, in that they are sold as data backup devices, and so could easily result in the loss of costly or irreplaceable data.

what do you expect click uk only on the search next time!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now