The Geordie Cook Book

Merlin

:thumbsup: @Vic Patterson brilliant 🤩 xx I’ve been looking for an original recipe for Pan Haggerty ferra good while now, I’m sure that’ll be in one, if not all, of those books. I’m planning to ask Don Lynn’s ?son for a sheep’s head plus intestines and lights. Loving the Swedish chef ( @Canny lass!) recipe for the head, and keen to have a go at kokoretsi, cos it’s looking unlikely I’ll get back to Greece anytime soon. Many thanks 😁🌈x

Nay, lad, like isn’t good enough, LOVE 💕, seeing this index, can’t wait to get hold of these cookbooks 😁🌈xx thanks very much. I’m going to post my favourite little old gem of a cookbook, I’m confident that copyright is not an issue with this one 😁🌈xxximage.thumb.jpg.3a6c7a40210062de0a1b13a1ce592e78.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.196324d8ab7a272000a4b2a74f198726.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, lilbill15 said:

Nay, lad, like isn’t good enough, LOVE 💕, seeing this index, can’t wait to get hold of these cookbooks 😁🌈xx thanks very much. I’m going to post my favourite little old gem of a cookbook, I’m confident that copyright is not an issue with this one 😁🌈xxximage.thumb.jpg.3a6c7a40210062de0a1b13a1ce592e78.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.196324d8ab7a272000a4b2a74f198726.jpg

image.jpg

@Canny lass “Rolled beef” looks suspiciously like a Beef Olive??😉😋xx

12 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

“Rolled beef” looks suspiciously like a Beef Olive??

It does indeed - a very big beef olive! My mother used to do that for Sunday dinner when she couldn't afford a 'proper' joint (of meat, in case anybody's getting wrong ideas).The name, rolled beef, doesn't ring any bells though. I don't think she had any special name for it.

• Like 1

Aye @Canny lass , there’s a few known recipes in there given personalised names- I love the “half pay pudding “! definitely a sign of those times; up there with mock duck and mock fish? I remember Dad telling me about an earlier birthday party for him during the war years, discovering that the “pineapple chunks “ in the trifle were actually swede! The vegetable of course, not marinated Scandinavian person 🤣  😁xx. P.S. found a Geordie cookbook online at my usual World of books , it’s in the post. Couldn’t find Wor lass’s yem cooking, so barter books for that ( they’re often more pricey) xx

Edited by lilbill15
Update

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to limit online food shopping to Asda and Waitrose. Apart from a delicious black charcoal cheddar from somewhere in Derbyshire I prefer to source meat and veg locally. I like to support local small shops where possible. Hope(zetty) 🤣 this helps 😁🌈xxR 

• 2 weeks later...

@Canny lass ! I’ll probably never bliddy know! John Lynn told me the abattoir staff laughed at him and said “not possible “ can’t let you have any leftover sheep bits “health and safety “ blah blah. I have found I can travel or order online from Caribbean/Eastern European or North African suppliers but currently it’s losing its appeal 🙄xx Do you eat (the whole even) pig’s head or is it just symbolic or maybe just decorative? It doesn’t look as tempting as pics I’ve seen of cooked sheep’s heads though 😋😁🌈xx 

13 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Do you eat (the whole even) pig’s head or is it just symbolic or maybe just decorative?

The pig - all of it - is the mainstay of the Christmas dinner with ham being top of the list. The various parts are turned into several dishes: cheeks & trotters (brawn), ribs (glazed and roasted), shoulder (smoked), belly (salted & smoked) guts (sausage skin), just about everything else (sausage). The pigs head is, today, purely decorative but an essential part of the festivities. Artificial ones come in all sorts of materials and sizes. They are decorated yearly and the icing removed before being stored for the following year. I think the tradition is dying out. None of the children use them.

You can buy all the dishes ready made but we always do our own ham, ribs and sausage.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now