Under The Bridge

Does anyone remember the quarantine hospital as you went for a walk to the granary point. We were talking about this the other day and my husband remembers there was also an abbatoire along there also can anyone confirm this. If it wasn't an abbatoire does anyone recall what it was as he remembers the big steel dishes that was possibly used to collect the blood in.

Does anyone remember the quarantine hospital as you went for a walk to the granary point. We were talking about this the other day and my husband remembers there was also an abbatoire along there also can anyone confirm this. If it wasn't an abbatoire does anyone recall what it was as he remembers the big steel dishes that was possibly used to collect the blood in.

Yes he is not wrong, there was a slaughter house down there and the metal dishes were visable sometimes still had blood in them. The slaughter house was to the left of the path as you walked down to the point.

Tell him he's not loosing his marbles it was there when we used to go down the point :D

Yes he is not wrong, there was a slaughter house down there and the metal dishes were visable sometimes still had blood in them. The slaughter house was to the left of the path as you walked down to the point.

Tell him he's not loosing his marbles it was there when we used to go down the point :D

Where are we talking about here? I`ve got `slaughter house` `bridge` `the point` etc..but where are we on about? If i had a bit more info i could have a bit dig :D

Where are we talking about here? I`ve got `slaughter house` `bridge` `the point` etc..but where are we on about? If i had a bit more info i could have a bit dig :D

Cympil, we are going back to the fiftes with this one, it was possibly demolished in the early sixties and I dout if any trace remains of it today.

The bridge that Doglover is reffering to is the Black bridge, there used to be a footpath that ran along side the river under the bridge, dont know if its still there as I do not live in Bedlington anymore. If you followed the path to where it started to get narrower there was a slaughter house to the left of the path the river was on your right. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go the Wooden School and during our cross country runs (1956/57) we used to run towards Havelock, then down to the river Blyth. Run along a path next to the river,I am sure we passed a slaugher house along this path. At that time the road bridge was not built, but the new road was contructed. We used to run back up to the wooden school along the new road.

• 5 weeks later...

i can remember my mother telling her friends that when she was a child she was in the hospital with typhoid fever.

• 3 years later...

Was the tunnel entrance,[down by the river],next to the hospital,and if so,what was the purpose of it?.

My friend and I were talking about this very subject today while out with my little darling............[Jess..my Labrador-cross rescue dog....!]

• 3 years later...

Hi Peter,welcome to the site!I thought the same as you even if you were cracking on!!

It could have been one of many tunnels running from Bedlington main street down to the river,that we discussed a while ago on another thread.

What was the purpose of these tunnels if it weren't for those in power to flee the town,or others [in power also!] to benefit from moonlighting licquor or even drugs in the aad days when peasants were held down by the rich!....romanticing?...

Old-timers I worked at the pit [Bedlington A ],with,used ti tell me aboot thi hospital for Diptheria,Typhoid,and such contagious diseases,down by the river,where Doglover describes,noo was there also a bottle factory there or aam a mixed up wi sumwheor else?..[that was back in thi '60s]

• 2 months later...

Hi Jack,welcome to the forum!...that was a blast from thi past...."Woodbines"...[we called them "Willy Woodbines"...when we were bairns...I think we heard the aad-timers caaling them  that!]

A thowt ye were gaana tell us that Uncle used ti feed he's Roses wi the blood from the Slaatahoose!!![aad gardeners,especially aad pitmen,used aal manner of things ti get gud results in their gardens....even using the explosive pooda ti put aroond the flooers and cabbages ti keep thi slugs off!]

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:18, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Peter,welcome to the site!I thought the same as you even if you were cracking on!!

It could have been one of many tunnels running from Bedlington main street down to the river,that we discussed a while ago on another thread.

What was the purpose of these tunnels if it weren't for those in power to flee the town,or others [in power also!] to benefit from moonlighting licquor or even drugs in the aad days when peasants were held down by the rich!....romanticing?...

Old-timers I worked at the pit [Bedlington A ],with,used ti tell me aboot thi hospital for Diptheria,Typhoid,and such contagious diseases,down by the river,where Doglover describes,noo was there also a bottle factory there or aam a mixed up wi sumwheor else?..[that was back in thi '60s]

The hospital was downstream of the Iron Bridge, shown on the plan as “Hospital – Infectious Diseases”. The building was still there in the late 1950’s, possibly early 60’s but I don’t know the year it had last functioned as a hospital. It was constructed of wood and we used to call it “the Fever Hospital”

When the glove factory started up it was located in the hospital building until it moved to the Barrington Colliery Institute. The factory moved to Barrington after the Colliery rows were demolished and the institute closed.1948207536_Untitled3(2).png.2ed38111f182b0a598be2dea98a66b9b.png

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now