Breaking News

• 2 months later...

As one of the fiercest pre-opening critics of our much loved Red Lion Wetherspoons I thought it about time to revisit the subject. Now that the dust has settled and things have become more routine I have to confess, wholeheartedly, to being converted. The Red Lion (use the name please, that's what it is) is clean, tidy, staffed by pleasant people (the initial policy of employing everyone and weeding out the chaff has worked, it would seem) and is an altogether comfortable place to be. I speak, I must say, as someone who frequents the place in the late afternoon and early evening, so have no idea what it is like on weekend evenings. While not entirely convinced of the value or quality of the food I can say the beer is always on the mark, and if it's not there are no complaints about changing it for you. A pint of Ruddles best at £1.55 simply can't be beaten. I still support my local landlords/landlady's when I can (although one such has not enamoured herself to me of late with her attitude, and has lost a lot of my custom as a result) and see Wetherspoons as a corporate monster intent on killing the local pub trade, but cannot faulty the provision of free wi-fi access, good beer and a pleasant atmosphere thus providing me with what must be the biggest and most convenient office in the world. If you see a grey haired bloke with a laptop working away at between three and five on a weekday afternoon it's me.

Because there is a lack of anywhere else suitable I have meetings there too and even the pretentious coffee is a good price. I have had meetings in the ubiquitous coffee shop at Morpeth, £2.50 a cup and the Bedlington Red Lion 0.80p a cup.

As for beer, normally 3 of us turn out and a round was £8.60 in one of the pubs, £6.80 in the cluurb, and £5.00 in the Red Lion!

There does seem to be a problem getting served however and on more than one occasion we have walked out after 10 minutes of standing at the bar.

There does seem to be a problem getting served however and on more than one occasion we have walked out after 10 minutes of standing at the bar.

This is something I have raised with the - very pleasant - management. It seems to take just as long to get served when the place is empty as it does when it is packed; I'm at odds to explain it to be honest, although must say it is somewhat improved now over before.

I can't remember what my views were (and cant be bothered to look back!) but i think i was in support from the start.

As i think i said before it opened, it has made Bedlington an option on a friday or saturday night for me, and is chosen more often than not to be fair!

2 pints in the lion to start the night and catch up with the banter, then down the street for one in each till we've had enough (missing the Blue Bell out, i still don't feel, erm, safe? in there).

Still think the Grapes needs an overhaul, but the staff make up for the decor.

I'm liking the Tavern at the moment too, but then again, i'm well gone by the time i get that far!

Still think the Grapes needs an overhaul, but the staff make up for the decor.

The ones that made it worthwhile are no longer there!

Some pertinent people have left i agree (one to The Lion actually!) but my experience last weekend was pleasurable.

I compare to cetain pubs in Blyth, whom sit texting and ignoring you till you shout at them, then you get a grunted "What?" and the pint slapped down and "three quid and three pence" with an out turned hand waiting for the money. and low-betide you hand over a £20 note!

I thought it may have just been me, but it was the way all customers were treated whilst i was in several of Blyth's pubs.

At least you still get a smile, a please, a thank you and even a "been far?" when they were not too busy.

I find that in most pubs in Bedlington though. Most are well mannered, and will pass the time of day.

Some pertinent people have left i agree (one to The Lion actually!) but my experience last weekend was pleasurable.

I speak from a personal level mate! Yes, young Danni is an asset to the Lion.

At least you still get a smile, a please, a thank you and even a "been far?" when they were not too busy.

I find that in most pubs in Bedlington though. Most are well mannered, and will pass the time of day.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

• 1 month later...

Well some contradictory stories are coming out about the Lion! Mr Darn says they are polite and pass the time of day, while others have a less than complimentary appraisal of the staff! More than one person has told me of the 'could not be bothered' attitude of the staff in the Lion! When calling time it's 'How, wa closin, drink up an' get oot' One friend who challenged this with 'Hold on, I am a paying customer' was met with a belligerent glare and a sarcastic 'Time please! Is that better for you' Well NO it wasn't to be honest. Needless to say he hasn't been back! And more than a few people have told me that they have left without being served because of the attitude of the staff!

Well some contradictory stories are coming out about the Lion! Mr Darn says they are polite and pass the time of day, while others have a less than complimentary appraisal of the staff! More than one person has told me of the 'could not be bothered' attitude of the staff in the Lion! When calling time it's 'How, wa closin, drink up an' get oot' One friend who challenged this with 'Hold on, I am a paying customer' was met with a belligerent glare and a sarcastic 'Time please! Is that better for you' Well NO it wasn't to be honest. Needless to say he hasn't been back! And more than a few people have told me that they have left without being served because of the attitude of the staff!

Compare the number of customers in the Lion to the numbers in the other watering holes,that should tell us a lot. The pubs in Bedlington were all struggling for custom before the Lion reopened,and now we have a pub where we can get a drink and a bit natter where you don't need to wear a gas mask to avoid the smell of the bogs,and all at decent prices. Lets hope the Lion keeps going because the other traders in the town(shops and everything else) are struggling,I've heard that the badly advertised pub that has recently been reopened at the other end of town has now closed, and another shop in that area is closing soon.I think the Lion has brought trade into the town that wasn't there before so lets keep it, maybe people are flocking in to see that grey haired fella on his laptop!

Edited by foxy

I've heard that the badly advertised pub that has recently been reopened at the other end of town has now closed,

It is now a restaurant only.

I think the Lion has brought trade into the town that wasn't there before so lets keep it,

I would say that more people are eating there, but have noticed that those who tend to drink there have simply migrated from their previous bars primarily for the cheap beer.

maybe people are flocking in to see that grey haired fella on his laptop!

He's worth a look as he's incredibly handsome.

As for the attitude of the staff I have no complaints; they are - to a man/woman - pleasant and helpful, if a little lacking in urgency. I have come to the conclusion this is a Wetherspoons trait rather than one relating to the specific staff at the Lion. When busy, the problem of delayed service is due entirely to teh food being ordered at the same stations as the drink. If they instigated a specific area for ordering food there would be no problem.

I said last year that I thought the Red Lion under Wetherspoons would produce a reaction in the other hostelries and I would point to the 'churn rate' in management in them to prove the point. Also the community centre had its bars ripped out, the Town Council said they didn't want to compete with an already fragile bar trade in the Town? I think it's just a sign of the times we live in nowadays.

There are a couple of points, other than the extraordinary time it takes sometimes to get served even when there are more bar staff than punters wanting to order, and they are the mountaineering efforts it take to get to the loos and the grappling hooks it take to get onto the high chairs at the high tables. Maybe it's just me but if it is all about customer service the loos should be accessible and you should feel comfortable in a place which is primarily for seated clients?

BTW, I have been told the Red Lion has cheaper prices than the Electric Wizard at Morpeth so even Wetherspoons recognise price differentials and demographics!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now